Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 700577 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2464 on: October 02, 2022, 03:35:30 AM »

'Just as night follows day and winter summer, so distress and pain follow self-esteem and sensual pleasure, either in this life or after death.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2465 on: October 03, 2022, 04:26:01 AM »

'Acts of kindness and generosity are spoilt by self-esteem, meanness and pleasure, unless these have first been destroyed by fear of God.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2466 on: October 04, 2022, 01:12:09 AM »

'Nothing created can bring to the soul joy equal to that of the Holy Ghost.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2467 on: October 05, 2022, 06:28:38 PM »

'Happy is the youth, because he has time before him to do good.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2468 on: October 06, 2022, 11:25:24 AM »

'Prayer, pious reading, the frequentation of the sacraments, and, especially, the shunning of idleness, are the guardians of holy purity.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2469 on: October 07, 2022, 04:10:27 AM »

'Folly is close to the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.'

Proverbs 22:15

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 07, 2022, 06:42:00 PM »

'We ought to receive all things as from the hand of God, with resignation and gratitude.'

St. Fulgentius of Ruspe

Should not people be grateful for the things they receive and for the good deeds done for them?
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2471 on: October 08, 2022, 05:59:54 PM »

Certainly yes.  Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2472 on: October 08, 2022, 06:07:24 PM »

'My Son's heart is as sweet as the sweetest honey and as clean as the purest spring, for whatever belongs to virtue and goodness flows from it as from a spring. His heart is also most pleasant. What is more pleasant to a sensible person than the contemplation of God's love in his creation and redemption, in his life of work and his teaching, in his grace and long-suffering? His love is indeed not fluid like water, but widespread and durable, for it stays with a person until the very end, so much so that if a sinner were standing at the very gates of perdition, even then he would be rescued if he cried out with a purpose of amendment.

There are two ways to reach the heart of God. The first is the humility of true contrition. This leads a person to God's heart and to a spiritual dialogue. The second way is the contemplation of my Son's passion. This removes the hardness of the human heart and makes a person run toward God's heart with joy.'

The Blessed Virgin, to St. Bridget of Sweden

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2473 on: October 09, 2022, 06:59:16 PM »

'Poverty should not just be difficult, but crucifying. Jesus chose the most humble things to satisfy his needs, such as hay to soothe his frail and delicate body. If he ever had any preference, it was always for suffering; unlike him, I choose comfort and pleasure. With the help of your grace, starting today, that is over. I want to walk in your footsteps, suffer, conquer my weaknesses and die to all that is not you, in order to live for Jesus, with Jesus and in Jesus. In this way, I shall belong entirely to Jesus. How sweet it will be to die in this way with Jesus!'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2474 on: October 10, 2022, 09:25:01 PM »

'They slew by nailing to the tree Him who had brought to life their dead, had healed their maimed, had made their lepers clean, had given light to their blind. Behold, you sons of men! behold, all you people, these new wonders! They suspended Him on the tree, who stretches out the earth; they transfixed Him with nails who laid firm the foundation of the world; they circumscribed Him who circumscribed the heavens; they bound Him who absolves sinners; they gave Him vinegar to drink who has made them to drink of righteousness; they fed Him with gall who has offered to them the Bread of Life; they caused corruption to come upon His hands, and feet who healed their hands and feet; they violently closed His eyes who restored sight to them; they gave Him over to the tomb, who raised their dead to life both in the time before His Passion and also while He was hanging on the tree.'

St. Alexander of Alexandria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2475 on: October 11, 2022, 08:05:54 PM »

'He wishes your fidelity to be unswerving. Whatever it may cost you, you must persevere, for the Sacred Heart is averse to every sort of inconstancy -- and this is your greatest fault; but it is only you yourself who, with the grace of God, can remedy it by continually doing violence to self.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2476 on: October 12, 2022, 08:36:56 AM »

'. . . if we want to cast carnal desires from our hearts, we should at once plant spiritual pleasures in their place, so that our mind, always bound to them, might have the wherewithal to abide in them constantly and might spurn the allurements of present and temporal joys.'

St. John Cassian

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2477 on: October 14, 2022, 08:22:48 PM »

'The great thing is to become saints.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2478 on: October 15, 2022, 12:59:44 AM »

'We are not raised the first day to the summit of perfection. It is by climbing, not by flying, that we arrive there.'

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2479 on: October 15, 2022, 10:50:23 PM »

'A sign of self-esteem is an ostentatious manner; of pride, anger and scorn of others.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: