Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 189 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 701011 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2512 on: November 21, 2022, 01:44:46 AM »

'A poor man does not seek a bed in order to sleep, he throws himself down anywhere.'

St. Benedict Joseph Labre

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2513 on: November 21, 2022, 02:04:54 AM »

'I would not wish to see one meritorious act attributed to myself, even if it were the means of insuring my salvation; for I should be worse than a demon, to wish to rob God of his own. Yet it is needful that we ourselves act, for the divine grace neither vivifies nor aids that which does not work itself, and grace will not save us without our cooperation. I repeat it; all works, without the help of grace are dead, being produced by the creature only; but grace aids all works performed by those who are not in mortal sin, and makes them worthy of heaven; not those which are ours solely, but those in which grace cooperates.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2514 on: November 22, 2022, 04:54:19 PM »

'The light of the body is the eye: if therefore your eye be single, your whole body shall be full of light. But it your eye be evil, your whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you be darkness, how great is that darkness!'

Matthew 6:22-3

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2515 on: November 23, 2022, 02:05:47 AM »

'Everywhere, the good are rare and the wicked great in number. Who does not know that today there is so much libertinage among mature men, liberty among young girls, vanity among women, licentiousness in the nobility, corruption in the middle class, dissolution in the people, impudence among the poor, that one could say what David said of his times: "All alike have gone astray. . . there is not even one who does good, not even one."'

St. Leonard of Port Maurice

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2516 on: November 24, 2022, 05:39:33 AM »

'Gratitude for graces received is a most efficacious means of obtaining new ones.'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2517 on: November 24, 2022, 05:42:06 AM »

'I am always happy and content in God. I accept all things, pleasant or unpleasant, gratefully from our dear heavenly Father. He knows what is best for us and so I am always happy in God. I try to love Him very much. There is only one thing that grieves me, and that is that I love Him so little. If I could become a seraph of love I would call on all creatures to help me love my God. I must close now. I could go on and on. Love has no limits. I would have to write much more but I don't have the time. The bell is ringing to call me once more to praise God.'

St. Conrad of Parzham

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2518 on: November 25, 2022, 05:06:35 AM »

'We must all strive to be intimately convinced that everything which happens by chance or accident, as a great drought, too much rain, pestilence, famine, and the like, does not happen without the special Providence and will of God, and consequently we should not complain of the elements, or of God Himself, but should regard evils of this kind as a scourge with which God punishes us for our sins, and bowing ourselves beneath His Almighty hand, bear everything in humility and patience. God will thus be appeased. He will scatter His benedictions upon us. He will chastise us as His sons with a fatherly love, and will not deprive us of the kingdom of heaven.'

St. Robert Bellarmine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2519 on: November 26, 2022, 05:16:47 AM »

'You have not yet acquired perfect love if your regard for people is still swayed by their characters - for example, if, for some particular reason, you love one person and hate another, or if for the same reason you sometimes love and sometimes hate the same person.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2520 on: November 27, 2022, 05:38:40 AM »

'Blessed the one whose thought has been with grace, like a cloud filled with rain, and which waters souls for the increase of fruits of life; his praise will be for everlasting glory.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2521 on: November 28, 2022, 03:36:50 AM »

'Since the light of spiritual knowledge is the intellect's life, and since this light is engendered by love for God, it is rightly said that nothing is greater than divine love (cf. 1 Cor. 13:13).'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2522 on: November 28, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »

'Better that only a few Catholics should be left, staunch and sincere in their religion, than that they should, remaining many, desire as it were, to be in collusion with the Church's enemies and in conformity with the open foes of our faith.'

St. Peter Canisius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2523 on: November 29, 2022, 05:09:18 AM »

'Since it is impossible to be saved unless we perform our works in accordance with the commandment of God, and since we disregard none of the commandments without peril -- for it is a terrible arrogance to set ourselves up as the critics of our Lawgiver, now approving some of his laws, now dismissing others -- let us who are combatants for piety and who esteem the life of tranquility and freedom from affairs as our collaborator in the keeping of the Gospel decrees, set before ourselves a common mind and purpose: that not so much of a single one of the commandments escape us. For if the man of God must be perfect -- as it is written and as our earlier discourse on these matters has shown -- it is entirely necessary that he be pruned. (cf. John 15:1) by every one of the commandments unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ (Eph. 4:13); for according to the divine law a beast with a blemish even though clean, was unacceptable as a sacrifice to God (cf. Lev. 21. 19-20).'

St. Basil the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2524 on: November 30, 2022, 10:07:49 AM »

'On the day of judgment we shall be asked by God to answer for our words, acts and thoughts.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2525 on: December 01, 2022, 07:11:58 AM »

'. . . I thought more of the salvation of my soul now, and made no account whatever of mine own ease. I remember perfectly well, and it is quite true, that the pain I felt when I left my father's house was so great, that I do not believe the pain of dying will be greater -- for it seemed to me as if every bone in my body were wrenched asunder; for, as I had no love of God to destroy my love of father and of kindred, this latter love came upon me with a violence so great that, if our Lord had not been my keeper, my own resolution to go on would have failed me. But He gave me courage to fight against myself, so that I executed my purpose.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2526 on: December 02, 2022, 07:35:23 AM »

'One is ashamed to say it, but one must not keep silence: more is spent upon demons than upon the Apostles, and mad spectacles draw greater crowds than blessed martyrdoms. Who was it that restored this city to safety? That rescued it from captivity? The games of the circus-goers or the care of the saints? Surely it was by the saints' prayers that the sentence of Divine displeasure was diverted, so that we who deserved wrath, were reserved for pardon.'

Pope St. Leo the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2527 on: December 03, 2022, 04:48:15 PM »

'There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning, the middle, and the perfection. In the beginning they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle the contests of temptation; and in the end the fullness of perfection.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 189 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: