Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night 1 Member and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 190 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Night  (Read 705435 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2576 on: January 20, 2023, 01:56:42 PM »

'A precious crown is reserved in heaven for those who perform all their actions with all the diligence of which they are capable; for it is not sufficient to do our part well; it must be done more than well.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2577 on: January 21, 2023, 05:59:13 PM »

'I will unite all my prayers with those that the Sacred Heart of Jesus makes for us in the Blessed Sacrament.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2578 on: January 22, 2023, 09:52:18 AM »

'A pure intellect is one divorced from ignorance and illumined by divine light.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2579 on: January 23, 2023, 05:40:41 PM »

'By denying our self-love and our inclinations in little things, we gradually acquire mortification and victory over ourselves.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2580 on: January 24, 2023, 11:06:20 AM »

'Jesus gives all to those who surrender all.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2581 on: January 25, 2023, 08:05:23 PM »

'. . . I thought more of the salvation of my soul now, and made no account whatever of mine own ease. I remember perfectly well, and it is quite true, that the pain I felt when I left my father's house was so great, that I do not believe the pain of dying will be greater -- for it seemed to me as if every bone in my body were wrenched asunder; for, as I had no love of God to destroy my love of father and of kindred, this latter love came upon me with a violence so great that, if our Lord had not been my keeper, my own resolution to go on would have failed me. But He gave me courage to fight against myself, so that I executed my purpose.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: January 26, 2023, 01:50:35 PM »

Throughout literature it seems there are a shocking number of references to the agony of death, and yet so many obituaries report a peaceful death.  I suspect this has been discussed more than once in these forums, but it's eluding me.  I'll search again, but would be very grateful for guidance.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2583 on: January 26, 2023, 08:27:14 PM »

I recall I have a book of St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori's writings called 'Prepration for Death', I will take a look at it, it has been some time.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2584 on: January 26, 2023, 08:28:02 PM »

'It is never appropriate to speak about the parts of the body that must always be kept hidden and about certain bodily necessities to which nature has subjected all of us or even to name them. If sometimes you cannot avoid this in the case of a sick person or someone who is indisposed, do so in such a courteous manner that the terms you use cannot offend against decorum.'

St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2585 on: January 27, 2023, 10:24:28 PM »

'In time of trial do not leave your monastery but stand up courageously against the thoughts that surge over you, especially those of irritation and listlessness. For when you have been tested by afflictions in this way, according to divine providence, your hope in God will become firm and secure. But if you leave, you will show yourself to be worthless, unmanly and fickle.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2586 on: January 28, 2023, 06:45:58 PM »

'As we take the bitterest medicine to recover or preserve the health of the body, we should cheerfully endure sufferings, however repugnant to nature, and consider them efficacious remedies which God employs to purify the soul and conduct it to the perfection to which He called it.'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2587 on: January 29, 2023, 09:59:06 AM »

'He is perfect in the school of Christ who despises being despised, rejoices in self-contempt, and accounts himself to be very nothingness.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2588 on: January 29, 2023, 10:45:21 PM »

Throughout literature it seems there are a shocking number of references to the agony of death, and yet so many obituaries report a peaceful death.  I suspect this has been discussed more than once in these forums, but it's eluding me.  I'll search again, but would be very grateful for guidance.

After reading through the book a bit again, I think you'll find it helpful.

Here is St. Alphonsus Maria's 'Preparation for Death'.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2589 on: January 30, 2023, 02:44:13 AM »

'Being Master, He became a servant, and so revealed to the world the depths of His providence.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2590 on: January 31, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »

'What regret would be yours at the hour of death, should you see yourself deprived of the crown which awaits you if you are faithful in generously following the light that our Lord gives you. And, to tell you the truth, you will find peace and rest when you have sacrificed all for God.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2591 on: February 01, 2023, 02:03:03 AM »

'The devil is afraid of us when we pray and make sacrifices. He is also afraid when we are humble and good. He is especially afraid when we love Jesus very much. He runs away when we make the Sign of the Cross.'

St. Anthony of Egypt

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 190 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Night « previous next »
Jump to: