Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days.  (Read 619777 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 05, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »

Sylvester of Assisi
Sylvester was born in Assisi in the second half of the 12th century. He was the son of Rosone di Monaldo, who was the brother of Favarone di Monaldo, the father of St. Clare of Assisi. Sylvester was therefore first cousins with Saint Clare.
One time, Sylvester reputedly sold Francis of Assisi stones to rebuild a church. A short time later, he saw Francis and Bernard of Quintavalle distributing Bernard’s wealth to the poor. Sylvester complained that he had been poorly paid for the stones, and asked for more money. Francis obligingly gave him the extra money he wanted.
Sylvester subsequently became full of quilt. He sold all of his goods, began a life of penance. Eventually he joined Francis‘ community.
Sylvester became a holy and prayerful man, and a favorite of Francis. He traveled everywhere with him and became his adviser.
It was Sylvester and Clare who answered Francis' query with the response that he should serve God by going out to preach rather than by devoting himself to prayer.
Once, while on a preaching tour in the village of Arezzo , it was claimed by the residents that Sylvester's preaching and prayers brought peace to the city, which was falling prey to hatred and violence amongst its citizens.
Sylvester was one of the first 12 followers of St. Francis of Assisi and was the first priest in the Franciscan Order.
He died in Assisi in 1240, 14 years after the death of Saint Francis. He is one of the four companions who are buried near the tomb of St. Francis in the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi .
Saint Sylvester.
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 05, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »

How time flies.
It is already one year since we started this thread on March 7, 2011.
So it is goodbye, so long, fare well to “Saint of the day and Feast days”  happywave
And hello to “Saint of the day and Feast days-Part 2”   Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 05, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

One year today!! Praise God!  :principalities: tiny angel

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 06, 2012, 03:12:16 AM »

One year today!! Praise God!  :principalities: tiny angel
Amen!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1620 on: March 06, 2012, 05:37:26 AM »

thrones cherubim Seraphim angel blue angel yellow flower angel yellow angel blue Seraphim cherubim thrones

How time files! Thanks be to Our Lord from whom all blessings flow, for all His angels and His saints!

And this fine thread from odhiambo!  rejoice

cheers cheers cheers

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 06, 2012, 06:20:48 AM »

thrones cherubim Seraphim angel blue angel yellow flower angel yellow angel blue Seraphim cherubim thrones

How time files! Thanks be to Our Lord from whom all blessings flow, for all His angels and His saints!

And this fine thread from odhiambo!  rejoice

cheers cheers cheers

Amen!  Grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 19, 2018, 10:43:26 PM »

November 19       

Today is the feast day of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 17, 2021, 04:44:40 PM »

I had to bring this great thread back for St Patrick.  Can you possibly imagine him as a 16-year old, captured by pirate raiders in Britain and taken in slavery to Ireland, escaping probably on a French ship, and then seeking to come back to Ireland as a priest?  Thank You God for his incredible inspiration.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1624 on: March 18, 2021, 12:11:02 AM »

Yes he has so many inspiring events in his life.  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: April 09, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »

Pope St Celestine V (c1210-96) seems to me one of the saddest stories, as told in John Delaney's Dictionary of Saints.  Celestine chose life as a hermit at age 20, but attracted crowds of disciples, was selected as abbot, and later Pope, at age 84.  Soon after election he abdicated, hoping to return to his monastery but instead was imprisoned where he died in just 10 months.  I wrote this thinking this was his feast day, but Delaney says May 19.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 09, 2021, 06:20:04 PM »

No subsequent pope has taken the name Celestine.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 10, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »

St Bademus (d 376) founded a monastery in Persia and served as abbot.  He and seven of his monks were imprisoned and tortured, then murdered.  Delaney says today is his feast but curiously doesn't list it in the Byzantine Calendar.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 11, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »

Leonard Foley's Saints Book refers to St Stanislaus as Bishop of Krakow, after having been archdeacon there.  Foley also reports that after killing Stanislaus with his own hands, King Boleslaus fled to Hungary to a Bendictine abbey where he died as a penitent.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 12, 2021, 02:18:01 PM »

Today is the feast of Pope St Lucius I (337-352), whose relatively long pontificate seems generally unreported, except his courageous restoration of St Athanasius, the deposed and exiled orthodox Bishop of Alexandria.
I've posted in this thread because I mistakenly thought I could link to previous entries for the Saint, but obviously that hasn't worked.  I presume it is better to open a new thread except where I can find an existing separate thread with which to link. 
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1630 on: April 12, 2021, 07:26:47 PM »

St. Athanasius had one impressive life. I do not know much about Pope St. Lucius, I will have to see if I can find out anything more.

The forums are setup not to allow links to be posted since there are too many problem websites -- though the link post restricting error message is rather uninformative, it's the limit of the software. It screens out even internal links which are the only ones permitted, so you have to just put the text of the link in, and if need be I can edit it so it because a 'live' link.

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 15, 2021, 01:17:16 PM »

Sylvester of Assisi
Sylvester was born in Assisi in the second half of the 12th century. He was the son of Rosone di Monaldo, who was the brother of Favarone di Monaldo, the father of St. Clare of Assisi. Sylvester was therefore first cousins with Saint Clare.
One time, Sylvester reputedly sold Francis of Assisi stones to rebuild a church. A short time later, he saw Francis and Bernard of Quintavalle distributing Bernard’s wealth to the poor. Sylvester complained that he had been poorly paid for the stones, and asked for more money. Francis obligingly gave him the extra money he wanted.
Sylvester subsequently became full of quilt. He sold all of his goods, began a life of penance. Eventually he joined Francis‘ community.
Sylvester became a holy and prayerful man, and a favorite of Francis. He traveled everywhere with him and became his adviser.
It was Sylvester and Clare who answered Francis' query with the response that he should serve God by going out to preach rather than by devoting himself to prayer.
Once, while on a preaching tour in the village of Arezzo , it was claimed by the residents that Sylvester's preaching and prayers brought peace to the city, which was falling prey to hatred and violence amongst its citizens.
Sylvester was one of the first 12 followers of St. Francis of Assisi and was the first priest in the Franciscan Order.
He died in Assisi in 1240, 14 years after the death of Saint Francis. He is one of the four companions who are buried near the tomb of St. Francis in the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi .
Saint Sylvester.
Pray for us!
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. « previous next »
Jump to: