Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days.  (Read 622156 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »

Note:

The Feast of the Annunciation is one of the 4 "Quarter Days" in the Church. These are days which fall around the equinoxes or solstices, and mark the beginnings of the natural seasons: spring, summer, autumn, and winter. These Quarter Days were Christian feast days used in medieval times to mark "quarters" for legal purposes. The other  Quarter Days are the Nativity of St. John the Baptist (June 24), Michaelmas (September 29), and Christmas (December 25).

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2011, 03:47:08 AM »

'By the Angelic Salutation God became man, a virgin became the Mother of God, the souls of the just were delivered from Limbo, the empty thrones in heaven have been filled, sin has been pardoned, grace been given to us, the sick been made well, the dead brought back to life, exiles brought home, the Blessed Trinity has been appeased, and men obtained eternal life.'

'Just as the Angelic Salutation gave glory to the Blessed Trinity, it is also the very highest praise that we can give to Mary.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

'This day (the Annunciation) is the beginning of our salvation. On this day the Son of God, who was anterior to all time, becomes the Son of Man. This day is the beginning of the restoration of human nature, and of the blotting out of the sin of creation. On this day our nature has been sanctified by the indwelling in it of its Creator. On this day it has been raised to the dignity of holding dominion over archangels. On this day the time predicted by the prophets is fully come. This is the day which saints have desired to see. On this day Adam has built a temple for his Creator in one of his own daughters, in which He might deign to dwell concealed, and thus become our Redeemer. This temple is Mary, the virgin; precious, blessed, and holy, the pure and stainless offshoot of Adam's nature, the Queen of the whole family of men. So pure that none can be found purer in the whole human race; so holy that none among all intelligent creatures shall ever surpass her in holiness. She is the glory of the people of Israel, and the light of the house of David. This is she, the Beauty whose purity the Heavenly King desired, sending to her His ministering spirit Gabriel to salute her with a salutation of great joy, and to acquaint her that she has been chosen by her Creator, saying, "Hail full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women!"'

St. John Damascene

'The Blessed Virgin spoke to the Son, saying: "Blessed are you, my Son and my God, Lord of angels and King of glory! I pray that the words that you have spoken may take root in the hearts of your friends and cling to their minds like the pitch with which Noah's ark was plastered, which neither the storms nor the winds could dissolve. May they spread themselves throughout the world like branches and sweet flowers whose scent is spread far and wide. May they also turn into fruit and grow sweet like the date whose sweetness delights the soul beyond measure." The Son answered: "Blessed are you, my dearest Mother! My angel Gabriel said to you: 'Blessed are you, Mary, among women!' And I bear you witness that you are blessed and most holy above all the choirs of angels. You are like a garden flower that is surrounded by other fragrant flowers, but surpasses them all in fragrance, beauty, and virtue. These flowers represent all the elect from Adam to the end of the world. They were planted in the garden of the world, bloomed and blossomed in various virtues, but among all those who then were and who afterward were to be, you were the most excellent in the fragrance of a good and humble life, in the beauty of a pleasing virginity, in the virtue of abstinence.'

'Then his Mother answered: "Blessed are you, my Son, my God and my Lord! Since you were my sweet delight, I pray that others may be made partakers in its sweetness." The Son answered: "Blessed are you, my dearest Mother! Your words are sweet and full of love. Therefore, it will go well for anyone who receives your sweetness into his mouth and keeps it perfectly. But anyone who receives it and rejects it will be punished all the more bitterly." Then the Virgin responded: "Blessed be you, my Son, for all your love!"'

from the Revelations of St. Bridget of Sweden

'When people say, "The Lord is with thee," they renew the indescribable joy that was mine when the eternal Word became incarnate in my womb.'

'When you say to me, "Blessed art thou among women," I praise the mercy of God who has raised me to this exalted degree of happiness.'

'And at the words, "Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus," the whole of heaven rejoices with me to see my Son Jesus adored and glorified for having saved mankind."'

Our Lady speaking of the Ave Maria to St. Mechtilde

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

26 March

Today is the Feast day of
Blessed Didacus of Cadiz
Among many other saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »

Didacus Joseph of Cadiz (Diego José)

Didicus was born on March 29, 1743, in Cadiz, Spain. He was baptized Joseph Francis. His lineage is said to date from the Visigoth kings. His parents were devout Christians and Didicus was brought up in the ways of the Lord, and remained thus throughout his life.
When he was old enough, Joseph learned how to serve Mass at the Franciscan church which was close by. He learned to love the Mass. He used to get up early so that he could be at the church each morning to wait for the doors to be unlocked. He never missed a day.
One of the priests or brothers gave Joseph a book about the lives of the Capuchin saints. He read it over and over. Joseph learned every story in that book. He grew to love the holy men who were poor and humble just like Jesus.
As a youth, Joseph was a bit of a slow learner at school, receiving the nickname of the "dunce of Cadiz".
It was not surprising that Joseph decided to become a religious. Since he attended a Capuchin church and was an avid reader of the lives of the Capuchin Saints, his decision to become a Franciscan was also not surprising.
He was, however initially rejected by the Franciscan Order (Order of Friars Minor) due to his perceived limitation of intellect. He was, however, accepted by the Capuchin Friars and entered their novitiate in Seville, Spain, where he was given the name "Didacus". Later he was ordained to the priesthood.
His first appointment was to the task of preaching. His biographers stated that the congregations marveled at the singular power of his words, which swayed his audiences and left an impression on their lives.
Joseph loved preaching, and as it soon became evident that he had wonderful gifts for preaching the Word of God, he was sent out to preach to the people the Good News of Jesus. He travelled throughout Spain teaching and preaching in remote villages and crowded towns. His homilies were so clear and kind that people listened.
Everyone marvelled at the singular power and sweetness of his words, which swayed his audiences and left marked impressions on their lives. They even brought friends to listen. Soon an ordinary church was too small for the crowds. When Father Didacus was preaching, the talks were held outdoors, usually in the town square or in the streets.

Father Didacus loved to preach about the Blessed Trinity. He was popularly called "The Apostle of the Holy Trinity", because of his devotion to the mystery of the Divine Persons, three in one God, and the clever way he included the theological dogma of the Blessed Trinity as part of his edifying sermons.
Didacus also was capable of touching the heart of those who came to him for confession. He also found time to visit prisons and hospitals and engage in other works of charity, whilst a great part of the nights he spent in prayer.

Didacus died in 1801, in the 58th year of his highly blessed life, and was beatified by Pope Leo XIII in 1894.
He became known as the saviour of the faith in Spain, a second Paul, and as the apostle of his century.

Blessed Didacus,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »

I came across this as I was reading about Blessed Didacus of Cadiz:

“…This unlearned man was a celebrated preacher in Spain. During his preaching one day, a child shouted aloud in the church: "Mother, mother, see the dove resting on the shoulder of Father Didacus! I could preach like that too if a dove told me all that I should say!" Fr. Didacus prayed devotedly before his sermons, even scourging himself unto blood, in order to draw down God's mercy upon the people.

Once when his superior chided him because of the austerity of his life, Didacus Joseph replied: "Ah, Father, my sins and the sins of the people compel me to do it. Those who have been charged with the conversion of sinners must remember that the Lord has imposed upon them the sins of all their clients. By means of our penances we should atone for the sins of our fellowmen and thus preserve ourselves and them from eternal death. It would hardly be too much if we shed the last drop of our blood for their conversion."

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »

Once when his superior chided him because of the austerity of his life, Didacus Joseph replied: "Ah, Father, my sins and the sins of the people compel me to do it. Those who have been charged with the conversion of sinners must remember that the Lord has imposed upon them the sins of all their clients. By means of our penances we should atone for the sins of our fellowmen and thus preserve ourselves and them from eternal death. It would hardly be too much if we shed the last drop of our blood for their conversion."

I wonder how many shepherds actually realize this. Even parents (especially fathers) could learn a lesson from this too. I think that many look on hopelessly while their children stray into all sorts of bad things, not realizing that their circumstances could be changed by offering acts of reparation on their behalf.
Miracles come through perseverance in prayer and through acts of reparation. The greatest miracle being that we ourselves end up saving our own souls in the process.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »

This day is also shared by another great saint whom I mentioned during the week.
Here is a summary of her life taken from The Catholic Encyclopedia

St Margaret Clitherow

Martyr, called the "Pearl of York", born about 1556; died 25 March 1586. She was a daughter of Thomas Middleton, Sheriff of York (1564-5), a wax-chandler; married John Clitherow, a wealthy butcher and a chamberlain of the city, in St. Martin's church, Coney St., 8 July, 1571, and lived in the Shambles, a street still unaltered. Converted to the Faith about three years later, she became most fervent, continually risking her life by harbouring and maintaining priests, was frequently imprisoned, sometimes for two years at a time, yet never daunted, and was a model of all virtues.

Though her husband belonged to the Established Church, he had a brother a priest, and Margaret provided two chambers, one adjoining her house and a second in another part of the city, where she kept priests hidden and had Mass continually celebrated through the thick of the persecution. Some of her priests were martyred, and Margaret who desired the same grace above all things, used to make secret pilgrimages by night to York Tyburn to pray beneath the gibbet for this intention.

Finally arrested on 10 March, 1586, she was committed to the castle. On 14 March, she was arraigned before Judges Clinch and Rhodes and several members of the Council of the North at the York assizes. Her indictment was that she had harboured priests, heard Mass, and the like; but she refused to plead, since the only witnesses against her would be her own little children and servants, whom she could not bear to involve in the guilt of her death. She was therefore condemned to the peine forte et dure, i.e. to be pressed to death. "God be thanked, I am not worthy of so good a death as this", she said. Although she was probably with child, this horrible sentence was carried out on Lady Day, 1586 (Good Friday according to New Style).

She had endured an agony of fear the previous night, but was now calm, joyous, and smiling. She walked barefooted to the tollbooth on Ousebridge, for she had sent her hose and shoes to her daughter Anne, in token that she should follow in her steps. She had been tormented by the ministers and even now was urged to confess her crimes. "No, no, Mr. Sheriff, I die for the love of my Lord Jesu", she answered. She was laid on the ground, a sharp stone beneath her back, her hands stretched out in the form of a cross and bound to two posts. Then a door was placed upon her, which was weighted down till she was crushed to death. Her last words during an agony of fifteen minutes, were "Jesu! Jesu! Jesu! have mercy on me!" Her right hand is preserved at St. Mary's Convent, York, but the resting-place of her sacred body is not known. Her sons Henry and William became priests, and her daughter Anne a nun at St. Ursula's, Louvain.

Her life, written by her confessor, John Mush, exists in two versions. The earlier has been edited by Father John Morris, S.J., in his "Troubles of our Catholic Forefathers", third series (London, 1877). The later manuscript, now at York Convent, was published by W. Nicholson, of Thelwall Hall, Cheshire (London, Derby, 1849), with portrait: "Life and Death of Margaret Clitherow the martyr of York". It also contains the "History of Mr. Margaret Ward and Mrs. Anne Line, Martyrs".

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2011, 06:12:43 AM »

I wonder how many shepherds actually realize this. Even parents (especially fathers) could learn a lesson from this too. I think that many look on hopelessly while their children stray into all sorts of bad things, not realizing that their circumstances could be changed by offering acts of reparation on their behalf.
Miracles come through perseverance in prayer and through acts of reparation. The greatest miracle being that we ourselves end up saving our own souls in the process.

This is true martin.
Many times we parents just wash our hands off of a difficult child and banish him from our lives , disinherit him, etc. I will keep in mine those words of Saint Didacus. This is another way in which the Saints really do help us, apart from interceding for us. There examples serve as beacons for us.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »

This day is also shared by another great saint whom I mentioned during the week.
Here is a summary of her life taken from The Catholic Encyclopedia

St Margaret Clitherow

Martyr, called the "Pearl of York", born about 1556; died 25 March 1586. She was a daughter of Thomas Middleton, Sheriff of York (1564-5), a wax-chandler; married John Clitherow, a wealthy butcher and a chamberlain of the city, in St. Martin's church, Coney St., 8 July, 1571, and lived in the Shambles, a street still unaltered. Converted to the Faith about three years later, she became most fervent, continually risking her life by harbouring and maintaining priests, was frequently imprisoned, sometimes for two years at a time, yet never daunted, and was a model of all virtues.

Though her husband belonged to the Established Church, he had a brother a priest, and Margaret provided two chambers, one adjoining her house and a second in another part of the city, where she kept priests hidden and had Mass continually celebrated through the thick of the persecution. Some of her priests were martyred, and Margaret who desired the same grace above all things, used to make secret pilgrimages by night to York Tyburn to pray beneath the gibbet for this intention.

Finally arrested on 10 March, 1586, she was committed to the castle. On 14 March, she was arraigned before Judges Clinch and Rhodes and several members of the Council of the North at the York assizes. Her indictment was that she had harboured priests, heard Mass, and the like; but she refused to plead, since the only witnesses against her would be her own little children and servants, whom she could not bear to involve in the guilt of her death. She was therefore condemned to the peine forte et dure, i.e. to be pressed to death. "God be thanked, I am not worthy of so good a death as this", she said. Although she was probably with child, this horrible sentence was carried out on Lady Day, 1586 (Good Friday according to New Style).

She had endured an agony of fear the previous night, but was now calm, joyous, and smiling. She walked barefooted to the tollbooth on Ousebridge, for she had sent her hose and shoes to her daughter Anne, in token that she should follow in her steps. She had been tormented by the ministers and even now was urged to confess her crimes. "No, no, Mr. Sheriff, I die for the love of my Lord Jesu", she answered. She was laid on the ground, a sharp stone beneath her back, her hands stretched out in the form of a cross and bound to two posts. Then a door was placed upon her, which was weighted down till she was crushed to death. Her last words during an agony of fifteen minutes, were "Jesu! Jesu! Jesu! have mercy on me!" Her right hand is preserved at St. Mary's Convent, York, but the resting-place of her sacred body is not known. Her sons Henry and William became priests, and her daughter Anne a nun at St. Ursula's, Louvain.

Her life, written by her confessor, John Mush, exists in two versions. The earlier has been edited by Father John Morris, S.J., in his "Troubles of our Catholic Forefathers", third series (London, 1877). The later manuscript, now at York Convent, was published by W. Nicholson, of Thelwall Hall, Cheshire (London, Derby, 1849), with portrait: "Life and Death of Margaret Clitherow the martyr of York". It also contains the "History of Mr. Margaret Ward and Mrs. Anne Line, Martyrs".
St Margaret Clitherow,
Pray for us!
Thank you martin.
 I am one of those people whose tears flow freely at the slightest provocation. Embarrassed
 Your post left me blinded with tears and rushing for a tissue to blow my nose! Especially the "pressing to death" bit and she with child too!
May the Lord have mercy on us! We have sinned so much against him.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »

I am one of those people whose tears flow freely at the slightest provocation. Embarrassed

Embarrassed I am one of those too.

Any suggestions on the best penances one can do for an errant child, anyone??  Huh?

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »

"God be thanked, I am not worthy of so good a death as this", she said. Although she was probably with child, this horrible sentence was carried out on Lady Day, 1586 (Good Friday according to New Style).

Truly so memorable!

'You have preached, you have prayed, but have you fasted? Have you taken the discipline [a self imposed scourge]? Have you slept on the floor? So long as you have done none of these things, you have no right to complain.'

St. Jean Marie Vianney, to a priest complaining about the indifference of his parish

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »

Embarrassed I am one of those too.

Any suggestions on the best penances one can do for an errant child, anyone??  Huh?

Good question. Perhaps Martin has some ideas!  Grin

I think tears are the sign of an honest heart you two.  consolation

It's a good way to be.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »

27 March

Blessed Francesco Faà di Bruno
Among many other saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »

Francesco Faà di Bruno.

Francesco was born on 29 March 1825 in Alessandria, Piemonte, Italy. He was of noble birth. He began his education in 1841. He studied at the Royal Military Academy of Turin with the aim of making a career in the army and was commissioner in the army in 1847.
However by 1853 he had decided to leave the army and take up the study of mathematics instead. He travelled to Paris where he studied at the Sorbonne under Cauchy who he admired, not only for his genius, but also for his religious fervour and his philanthropy. After graduating he returned to Turin where he went on to study for his doctorate, which he obtained in 1861 and was awarded the degree of Doctor of Science.

In 1871 Francesco became a Professor of Mathematics at the University of Turin. Apart from Mathematics, Francesco had other interests. He did a lot of charity work. It was around this time that Francesco met Father John Bosco who had been ordained a Roman Catholic priest in 1841 in Turin and had began work there to help boys who came to look for work in the city. Through the influence of Father John Bosco, Francis was ordained a Roman Catholic priest in Rome on 22 October 1876. He founded the Society of St. Zita for maids and domestic servants, later expanding it to include unmarried mothers, among others. He helped establish hostels for the elderly and poor. He even oversaw the construction of a church in Turin that was dedicated to the memory of Italian soldiers who had lost their lives in the struggle over the unification of Italy.

He founded a religious order (Suore Minime di Nostra Signora del Suffragio) in order to direct and work for girls gathered in a house (similar to those founded by John Bosco) called Conservatorio del Suffragio. In order to provide work for the girls.
Francis also made numerous and important contributions to mathematics. These include about forty original articles published in various journals including "American Journal of Mathematics" (John Hopkins University.

Francis died in Turin on March 27, 1888. and was beatified 100 years later by Pope John Paul II in St. Peter's Square in Rome on 25 September 1988.

Today is the Feast day of Blessed Francesco Faà di Bruno Among many other saints

Blessed Francesco Faà di Bruno.
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »

28 March

Saint Hesychius of Jerusalem
Among many other saints.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2011, 05:28:34 PM »

Saint Hesychius of Jerusalem.

We do not know when Saint Hesychius (pronounced HESH-us), was born. We know, however that he was a native of Jerusalem and a student of Saint Gregory the Theologian. After the death of his mentor, he settled in one of the Palestinian desert.  In the year 412, the Archbishop of Jerusalem, consecrated him as a presbyter. As a priest, the saint became well known for his sermons which were inspired.  He is said to have written a history of the Church, which unfortunately is no longer available as it apparently got lost. He also wrote about many of the burning issues of his day. These included the heresy of Nestorianism, which held that there were two separate persons in Jesus viz: one human and one divine. He wrote about the heresy of Arianism, which denied the divinity of Christ.

I understand from my reading that some of his commentaries on the books of the Bible as well, along with meditations on the prophets and homilies on the Blessed Virgin Mary , still survive.

His words on the Eucharist, written centuries ago , speak to us today:

“ Keep yourselves free from sin so that every day you may share in the mystic meal; by doing so our bodies become the Body of Christ”

Saint Hesychius died around the year 450(433 by other accounts)

Ref: American Catholic

Saint Hesychius,
Pray for us!

[moderator edit: removed url, please be careful: "American Catholic" has grave issues with dissidence, etc.]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:39:38 PM by Shin » Logged

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 104 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. « previous next »
Jump to: