Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days.  (Read 621977 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »

'In 1469, the Pope, Paul II.,sent one of his chamberlains to learn if Francis was indeed the saint which so many called him.

When the chamberlain arrived at Paula, Francis, as usual, was among the masons, at work on his church; but seeing two strangers coming towards him, he left his work and met them, bowing very low to them. The chamberlain had disguised himself, so as not to appear like a person of rank, nor even to be known as a priest; and when Francis met him with such humble courtesy he was equally humble, and attempted to kiss the hand of Francis, brown and hard with toil. But Francis would not allow this, and, falling on his knees, said he was himself bound to kiss the hands which God had consecrated during the thirty years he had said mass. The chamberlain was greatly surprised to hear a perfect stranger thus tell the number of years he had been a priest; but he said nothing, wishing to talk with Francis in his convent, aside from his companions.

The chamberlain was a very eloquent man, and he tried to convince Francis, by a long discourse, that his rule was too severe, and also of the dangers to which a person is exposed who pretends to miraculous gifts, or who lives in anyway differently from other good Christians; and urged him to leave all his extraordinary self-denials. Francis heard him patiently, and answered him with great humility; but, finding that the mind of his visitor was not changed, he took from the fire some burning coals, and holding them for a long time in his hand, said, "All creatures obey those who serve God with a perfect heart."

These golden words were repeated by Pope Leo X. in the bill of his canonization. The chamberlain returned to the archbishop of Cosenza, and to the Holy Father at Rome, and told them that the sanctity of Francis was greater than his fame in the world, own society, and in the very state, or town, or village in which we live.'

- Patron Saints

He was a remarkable saint and there is a lot of truth in his words "All creatures obey those who serve God with a perfect heart." !

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:26 AM »

St. Francis of Paola pray for us!

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »

From Vatican Website.

A reading from the letters of St Francis of Paola, Hermit (Letter AD 1486)

Turn to the Lord with a pure heart.

"May our Lord Jesus Christ, who repays most generously, reward your labour. You must flee from evil, and drive away dangers. We and all our brothers, although unworthy, pray constantly to God the Father and to his Son Jesus Christ, as well as to Mary the Virgin Mother, to be with you as you seek the salvation of your souls and your bodies.

Brothers, I most strongly urge you to work for the salvation of your souls with prudence and diligence. Death is certain, and life is short and vanishes like smoke. Therefore you must fix your minds on the passion of our Lord Jesus Christ who so burned with love for us that he came down from heaven to redeem us. For our sakes he suffered all the agonies of body and mind, and did not shrink from any torment. He gave us a perfect example of patience and love. For our part, we too must be patient when things go against us.

Put aside hatred and hostility. See to it that you refrain from harsh words. But if you do speak them, do not be ashamed to apply the remedy from the same lips that inflicted the wounds. In this way you will show each other mercy and not keep alive the memories of past wrongs. Remembering grievances works great damage. It is accompanied by anger, fosters sin, and brings a hatred for justice. It is a rusty arrow spreading poison in the soul. It destroys virtue and is a cancer in the mind. It thwarts prayer and mangles the petitions we make to God. It drives out love and is a nail driven into the soul, an evil that never sleeps, a sin that never fades away, a kind of daily death.

Be lovers of peace, the most precious treasure that anyone can desire. You are already aware that our sins drive God to anger,"so you must repent of them, that God in his mercy may spare you. What men conceal is open to God. Turn to him with a sincere heart. Live in such a way that you bring upon yourselves the blessing of God, and that the peace of God our Father may be with you always."

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »

Ah, you found a beautiful letter. Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »

Ah, you found a beautiful letter. Cheesy

Yes, I did and what a letter, so full of wise counsel. I have been trying to get an account of the incidence where he brought back someone to life but cannot get it from any of the Catholic references available.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »

…Francis himself made the rock his bed ; his
best garment was a hair-shirt, and boiled herbs his only
fare. As his body withered his faith grew powerful…His name was reverenced through the Christian world. He died at the age of ninety-one, on Good Friday, 1507, with
the crucifix in his hand, and the last words of Jesus on his
lips, " Into Thy hands, Lord, I commend my spirit’

Excerpt from:
Lives of the Saints
With Reflections for everyday of the Year
Compiled From
The Lives of the Saints by
Rev. Alban Butler.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »

…Francis himself made the rock his bed ; his
best garment was a hair-shirt, and boiled herbs his only
fare. As his body withered his faith grew powerful…

There's a lesson in this..

I can't seem to find my 'Saints Who Raised the Dead' book, another prompt  sword fight for me to get my library in order.

But I do recall hearing about the incident where a fellow was crushed by a tree, and later on fell from a steeple, and was raised from the dead twice by the saint!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »

Because of his miracles he was called to the deathbed of King Louis XI.. the "Spider King" of France. "He sent for Francis to cure him. Francis did not save his life, but wrought a profound change of heart in him, and Louis died in his arms."

Here are some excerpts, various quotations, from the prophecies of St. Francis of Paola..

They predict the coming of a great Catholic ruler who near the end of time will be key to the final reign of peace and abolishing of all heresies.

"...the Great Monarch...He shall be a great captain and prince of holy men, who shall be called 'the holy Cross-bearers of Jesus Christ,' with whom he will destroy the Mahometan sect and the rest of the infidels. He shall annihilate all the heresies and tyrannies of the world. He shall reform the Church of God by means of his followers, who shall be the best men upon the earth in holiness, in arms, in science, and in every virtue...

They shall obtain dominion over the whole world, both temporal and spiritual...

God Almighty will exalt a very poor man of the blood of Emperor Constantine...who shall on his breast wear a sign which you have seen at the beginning of this letter (a red Cross)...

He will gather a grand army, and the angels shall fight for them...

This religious order shall be the last and best in the Church: it shall proceed with arms...Woe to tyrants, to heretics, and to infidels to whom no pity will be shown...An infinite number of wicked men shall perish through the hands of the Cross-bearers...most holy Crossbearers elected by the Most High, who, not succeeding in converting heretics with science, shall make vigorous use of their arms...

These holy Cross-bearers shall reign and dominate holily over the whole world until the end of time...

But when shall this take place?

When crosses with the stigmas shall be seen, and the crucifix shall be carried as the standard.

The time is coming when the Divine Majesty will visit the world with a new religious order of holy Cross-bearers, who will carry a crucifix, or the image of our crucified Lord, lifted up upon the principal standard in view of all.

This standard will be admired by all good Catholics; but at the beginning it will be derided by bad Christians and by infidels...

You shall destroy the sect of the Mahomet, and all infidels of every sect. You shall put an end to all the heresies of the world..."
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:04:25 PM by Shin » Logged

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »

3 April

Today is the Feast day of
Saint Benedict of Palermo
Among many other saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »

Saint Benedict of Palermo

Also known as
Benedict the African
Benedict of San Philadelphio
Benedict the Black
Benedict the Moor

Benedict was the son of Christopher and Diana Manasseri both Christians, living in an ancient town of Sicily, today named San Fratello (Holy Little Brother), in memory of our Saint. His parents were slaves and had decided not to bring any child into this world only to be reduced to their own situation; that of being slaves.
When their master promised to liberate their firstborn, however, the couple relaxed their resolve and Baby Benedict was born to them in 1526.
Benedict did not attend any school and was completely illiterate. From his childhood, he showed a great love for the Blessed Virgin and a tendency to charity, often giving away whatever he had to those needier and to the sick.
As a youth, he worked as a shepherd. He often became absorbed in prayer and spent long hours on his knees praying. This made him an object of derision by his age mates because he did not join in their games.
One day a pious hermit named Brother Jerome passed by, and witnessed Benedict being mocked by his neighbours. He also witnessed Benedict’s behaviour in the face of his neighbours’ agression. The boy was patient and bore himself with dignity. Brother Jerome, who was leader of a group of Franciscan hermits, invited Benedict to join their order. Benedict sold whatever meagre possessions he had and joined Brother Jerome at his hermitage. He eventually became leader of that group.
In 1562 or 1564 the order of hermits was disbanded by the Pope who joined them to the Order of Saint Francis. Benedict moved to Palermo to the Franciscan Friary of Saint Mary. Where he held the position of “cook”.
He was noted everywhere for his penances. And, whenever he was sent out to beg for the Community there were talks of miracles. While still a simple lay Brother, he was named Guardian of his convent in 1578. This was a rather difficult situation for him and indeed even for those he was to guard. They were priests where as he was an illiterate lay Brother. Benedict reluctantly accepted the promotion. He was successfull in helping the order to adopt a stricter version of the Franciscan monastic rule.
Saint Benedict was widely respected for his instinctive understanding of theology and the Holy Scripture. He was often sought after for counseling. He had a reputation as a healer as well. Many people continued to come to him for help even after he returned to kitchen duty in his later years.
Saint Benedict died in April of 1589. Countless miracles are reported to have occurred at his tomb.
At the entrance of his cell in the Franciscan Convent of Saint Mary of Jesus, there is a plaque with the inscription "This is the cell where Saint Benedict lived, and the dates of his birth and death - 1524 and 1589".( Yes, you read correctlly, there is some dispute; apparantly historians stick with 1526 birth date!)  Grin
Saint Benedict was beatified by Pope Benedict XIV on 15 May, 1743 and canonized on 24 May,1807 by Pope Pius VII.
Saint Benedict is a patron of Black people, Palermo, Sicily, and others. Benedict is remembered for his patience and understanding when confronted with racial prejudice and taunts.

Saint Benedict,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2011, 03:25:19 AM »

One of my favorite saints is St. Moses the Black, one of the great Desert Fathers, a hermit. Smiley

St. Benedict is a great example of humility!

As a youth, he worked as a shepherd. He often became absorbed in prayer and spent long hours on his knees praying.

Our Lord loves shepherds. Cheesy I have heard more than one good story about them.

One of the Audio Sancto priests before he became a shepherd of people took care of actual sheep, grew up on a farm.

'Above all we ought at least to know that there are three origins of our thoughts, i.e., from God, from the devil, and from ourselves. . . We ought then carefully to notice this threefold order, and with a wise discretion to analyze the thoughts which arise in our hearts, tracking out their origin and cause and author in the first instance, that we may be able to consider how we ought to yield ourselves to them. . .'

'We should then constantly search all the inner chambers of our hearts, and trace out the footsteps of whatever enters into them with the closest investigation. . .'

'You see then that the gift of discretion is no earthly thing and no slight matter, but the greatest prize of divine grace. And unless a monk has pursued it with all zeal, and secured a power of discerning with unerring judgment the spirits that rise up in him, he is sure to go wrong, as if in the darkness of night and dense blackness, and not merely to fall down dangerous pits and precipices, but also to make frequent mistakes in matters that are plain and straightforward.'

'Whatever then can help to guide us to this object; viz., purity of heart, we must follow with all our might, but whatever hinders us from it, we must shun as a dangerous and hurtful thing. For, for this we do and endure all things, for this we make light of our kinsfolk, our country, honours, riches, the delights of this world, and all kinds of pleasures, namely in order that we may retain a lasting purity of heart.'

St. Moses the Black Hermit

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2011, 06:46:29 AM »

One of my favorite saints is St. Moses the Black, one of the great Desert Fathers, a hermit. Smiley

St. Benedict is a great example of humility!

As a youth, he worked as a shepherd. He often became absorbed in prayer and spent long hours on his knees praying.

Our Lord loves shepherds. Cheesy I have heard more than one good story about them.

One of the Audio Sancto priests before he became a shepherd of people took care of actual sheep, grew up on a farm.

'Above all we ought at least to know that there are three origins of our thoughts, i.e., from God, from the devil, and from ourselves. . . We ought then carefully to notice this threefold order, and with a wise discretion to analyze the thoughts which arise in our hearts, tracking out their origin and cause and author in the first instance, that we may be able to consider how we ought to yield ourselves to them. . .'

'We should then constantly search all the inner chambers of our hearts, and trace out the footsteps of whatever enters into them with the closest investigation. . .'

'You see then that the gift of discretion is no earthly thing and no slight matter, but the greatest prize of divine grace. And unless a monk has pursued it with all zeal, and secured a power of discerning with unerring judgment the spirits that rise up in him, he is sure to go wrong, as if in the darkness of night and dense blackness, and not merely to fall down dangerous pits and precipices, but also to make frequent mistakes in matters that are plain and straightforward.'

'Whatever then can help to guide us to this object; viz., purity of heart, we must follow with all our might, but whatever hinders us from it, we must shun as a dangerous and hurtful thing. For, for this we do and endure all things, for this we make light of our kinsfolk, our country, honours, riches, the delights of this world, and all kinds of pleasures, namely in order that we may retain a lasting purity of heart.'

St. Moses the Black Hermit

I never heard of this Saint Shin.When do we celebrate him?
Saint Moses,
You who is called Saint Moses the Black,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »

I will post more about him soon, from the writings of the desert fathers and St. John Cassian.  Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2011, 06:58:02 AM »

Amen.  crucifix

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »

I will post more about him soon, from the writings of the desert fathers and St. John Cassian.  Cheesy

Looking forward to the posts  Grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2011, 07:11:57 AM »

Here is an old thread on St. Moses. August 28th.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 104 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. « previous next »
Jump to: