Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days.  (Read 619827 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2011, 08:56:16 AM »

All together it's such a moving life's story isn't it odhiambo?  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »

All together it's such a moving life's story isn't it odhiambo?  Cheesy

It is indeed Shin!
Imagine memorising the catechism at the tender age of seven!
I did not know anything about the catechism at that age. Just eating and playing was all I was good far then  Grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:14 AM »

This is all making me think the more about holy children, like Ven. Anne. Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2011, 09:49:47 AM »

I do not know her yet Shin .
I have seen your post  on her though  Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »

She's a truly lovely one. Cheesy

Here is a little about her!

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »

She's a truly lovely one. Cheesy

Here is a little about her!

It is beautiful Shin. I could just imagine the two of them at the interview.
The little girl so sure of her facts,the priest admiring and yet not letting on!
I would love a movie of the same. Why are there no movies of  the lives of Saints?

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2011, 10:22:08 AM »

Haha, I can see it too. Cheesy

The priest and the little angel. Little Angel

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:05 AM »

9 April

Today is the Feast day of
 Saint Casilda
Among many other saints.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 09, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »

Saint Casilda.

Also known as:
Saint Casilda of Toledo

Saint Casilda is not familiar to many of us. It is in fact the first time I am learning of her. I am however thankful to God for granting me this opportunity to get to know some of His less well known saints however fleetingly.
According to legend, Casilda lived in the 10th Century in Spain. She
was a daughter of a Muslim king (called Almacrin or Almamun), of Toledo, Spain. She was herself raised as a Muslim as was only to be expected.
Casilda is noted to have showed special kindness to Christian prisoners. She used to carry bread hidden in her clothes to feed them. Once she was stopped by Muslim soldiers and asked to reveal what she was carrying in her skirt. When she began to show them, the bread turned into a bouquet of roses.

One day Casilda, a young woman by then, fell ill. She, however had no confidence in the local doctors and believe they would not be able to cure her.
She, instead, made a pilgrimage to the shrine of San Vicenzo in northern Spain. At the time, many people suffering various ailments, traveled to the shrine seeking healing. It is recorded that Casilda left it relieved of her illness.( we do not know what the sickness was).
After her miraculous cure, Casilda became a Christian and lived a life of solitude and penance not far from the miraculous spring.
It is said that she lived to be 100 years old. Her death was likely to have occurred around the year 1050.

Saint Casilda,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 09, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »

10 April

Saint Magdalene of Canossa
Among many other saints.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: April 09, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »

9 April

Saint Casilda
Among many other saints.

I had never heard of her before you told us.  Grin

There is more than one time in the lives of the saints God has done this -- changed what a saint concealed into flowers. To protect the saint..

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:5-12)

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »

Saint Magdalene of Canossa (1774-1835)

Magdalene was born on March 1st 1774 in Verona, Italy. She was born in one of the grandest palaces of the city, being of rich and noble parentage. She was the third child of the Marquis Ottavio and Coutess Teresa Szluha.

When Magdalene was five years old, her father died suddenly. Two years after, her mother remarried, leaving the Canossa Palace and her children behind in the care of a French governess. In her loneliness, Magdalen turned to Mary for consolation.
Magdalen was 15 years old when the French revolution broke out and shook the whole of Europe.

When she was 17 years old' she spent some time in a Carmelite cloister but decided this was not the vocation for her. She returned to her family where she took up the task of heading and guiding the household during a time of extreme difficulty. This was the time, about 7 years later, when the real consequences of the French Revolution were felt in Verona. On June 10, 1796, General Napoleon entered the city as a conqueror. The following year Napoleon was a guest at Canossa Palace and Magdalen, being the lady of the house, had to do the honours to the General.

Verona was occupied successively by the French and the Austrians and the Canossa Palace hosted famous generals and emperors.
Amidst all that was happening, Magdalene withdrew herself gradually. Each day, was her union with God intensified.

Magdalene then contracted small pox. After recovering from this illness, she felt a calling to help the poor and the sick.

In 1808 Magdalen left the Canossa Palace indefinitely and with some companions, established herself in the poverty-stricken district of San Zeno and started their work among the poor. Magdalen called her companions “Daughters of Charity” because their task was to reveal God’s love to humanity.
Today the Daughters of Charity are present in many countries around the world.

Magdalen died in Verona on April 10, 1835. She was beatified in Rome on December 8, 1941. Then she was canonized on Octopber 2, 1988 and became St. Magdalen of Canossa.

Saint Magdalene
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2011, 07:05:03 PM »

The French Revolution and Napoleon caused a great deal of harm.

'St. Bernard says that poverty was not to be found in heaven, it existed only on earth; but that man, not knowing its value, did not seek after it. Therefore the Son of God came down from heaven to this earth, and chose it for his companion throughout his whole life, that by his example he might also render it precious and desirable to us: "Poverty was not found in heaven, but she was well known on earth, and men knew not her excellence. So the Son of God loved her, and came down from heaven to take her to himself, that we might learn to value her when we see how he regards her."'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2011, 08:31:06 PM »

'St. Bernard says that poverty was not to be found in heaven, it existed only on earth; but that man, not knowing its value, did not seek after it. Therefore the Son of God came down from heaven to this earth, and chose it for his companion throughout his whole life, that by his example he might also render it precious and desirable to us: "Poverty was not found in heaven, but she was well known on earth, and men knew not her excellence. So the Son of God loved her, and came down from heaven to take her to himself, that we might learn to value her when we see how he regards her."'

You posted that quote many months ago. The fact that I remember it means it must have sank in at the time.  Cheesy

I think it was G K Chesterton who said, "There are two ways to get enough. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less."

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »

happy roll

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »

Mother Teresa sure knew the value of poverty. Here is her take on the subject

"We must have a real living determination to reach holiness.
''I will be a saint'' means I will despoil myself of all that is not God;
I will strip my heart of all created things;
I will live in poverty and detachment;
I will renounce my will, my inclinations, my whims and fancies, and make myself a willing slave to the will of God."

Mother Teresa (1910-1997) Albanian-born missionary.
If only we would heed her words.
Living in poverty without a coin to your name is so scary. Faith in God has to be really strong to overcome this fear.
It is one thing when it is forced on you;  quite another when it comes to voluntary poverty; it belongs to the realm of saints ; exactly what Mother Teresa is telling us  Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 104 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. « previous next »
Jump to: