Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 104 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days.  (Read 622189 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2011, 03:50:53 AM »

I read a biography of his in which he was referred to as 'Saint James Oldo'
It seems like he must have been canonized already.
Anyone with any information to that effect?

Problem solved!
Canonization is pending. Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 18, 2011, 05:24:50 PM »

19 April

Today is the Feast day of
Blessed Luchesio and Buonadonna
Among many other Saints and Blesseds

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2011, 05:51:27 PM »

Blessed Luchesio and Buonadonna.

We do not know when Luchesio Modestini was born. We are told, however that he was a merchant in the town of Poggibonzi in Tuscany. He and his wife were both materialistic minded; regarding material success above all else.
One day, through an encounter with Saint Francis of Assisi, probably in the year 1213, Luchesio’s life changed for ever. He turned from his avaricious ways and began to perform works of charity instead.
At first Buonadonna was not happy about giving so much away. One day after complaining that he was giving everything to strangers, Buonadonna answered the door. It was another needy stranger. Luchesio asked her to give the poor man some bread. She frowned but went to the pantry to get the bread. There she discovered more bread than had been there the last time she looked.This miracle converted her completely. She became as zealous for the poor and simple life as her husband was. They sold the business, farmed enough land to provide for their needs and distributed the rest to the poor.
Then Saint Francis came to Poggibonzi at this time and visited with Luchesio. He was happy to find the latter was now a man of God instead of the avaricious man he had met earlier.
Luchesio asked for advice from Francis. They wanted a way of sharing in religious life, but outside the cloister. As it happaned, Saint Francis already had such a plan. He explained to them his plans for the establishment of an Order for lay people; and Luchesio and Buonadonna asked to be received into it at once.They were the first members of the Order of Penance, which later came to be called the Third Order, and yet again,the Secular Franciscan Order.

The charity of Luchesio drew the poor to him, and, like many other saints, he and Buonadonna seemed never to lack the resources to help these people.
One day Luchesio was carrying a crippled man he had found on the road. A frivolous young man came up and asked, "What poor devil is that you are carrying there on your back?" "I am carrying my Lord Jesus Christ," responded Luchesio. The young man immediately begged Luchesio’s pardon.
Luchesio and Buonadonna both died on April 28, 1260. It seems that this is how their deaths occurred at the same time:
“When he lay very ill, and there was no hope for his recovery, his wife said to him, "Implore God, who gave us to each other as companions in life, to permit us also to die together." Luchesio prayed as requested. and Buonadonna fell ill with a fever, from which she died even before her husband, after devoutly receiving the holy sacraments. Luchesio died on April 28, 1260. At his grave in the Franciscan church at Poggibonzi it is claimed that many miracles have occurred. His continuous veneration as Blessed was approved by Pope Pius VI.
Blessed Luchesio and Buonadonna,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: April 18, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »

"I am carrying my Lord Jesus Christ,"

The holy and good reply..

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 19, 2011, 03:09:00 AM »

Blessed Luchesio and Buonadonna.

immediately begged Luchesio’s pardon.
Luchesio and Buonadonna both died on April 28, 1260. It seems that this is how their deaths occurred at the same time:
“When he lay very ill, and there was no hope for his recovery, his wife said to him, "Implore God, who gave us to each other as companions in life, to permit us also to die together." Luchesio prayed as requested. and Buonadonna fell ill with a fever, from which she died even before her husband, after devoutly receiving the holy sacraments.

"Trust in the Lord and gain strength and wisdom.
All things are possible through prayer.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul!"

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 19, 2011, 09:37:20 AM »

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 19, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »

I know, Patricia, Shin.
Just that one sentence says it all. crucifix

And the king will say to them in reply,
 ‘ Amen I say to you, whatever you do for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me’
Matthew 25:40

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 19, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »

20 April
Today is the Feast day of
Saint Conrad of Parzham
Among many other saints.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 19, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

Then Saint Francis came to Poggibonzi at this time and visited with Luchesio. He was happy to find the latter was now a man of God instead of the avaricious man he had met earlier.

I'd say the prayers of St Francis had something to do with this change of heart.

I love reading these saints of the day stories odhiambo. Great work.  thumbs up

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 19, 2011, 06:27:51 PM »

Saint Conrad of Parzham.

Conrad was born on  22 December 1818 at Parzham, Bavaria, Germany. His given name was Johann Birndorfer.
He was the youngest in a family of nine children. His parents were Bartholomaus Birndorfer and Gertrude Niedermayer. They were farmers and John was born in the family farm at Parzham.  John’s mother died when he was 14 years old. From his earliest years, the young John showed signs of piety.  He was a modest child who loved solitude and prayer.

John spent his early years on the family farm. As the youngest son, he was supposed to inherit the farm. This was a common custom of the area; the youngest son carried on the work of the father and received the farm. This , however was not to be. . At age 30, John left his family home and inheritance and entered the Capuchin Order as a lay brother. Upon entering the novitiate, he took the name of Conrad.

Immediately after his profession he was assigned to the friary of St. Ann in the city of Altötting. This place is known for its shrine to the Mother of Mercy,the shrine of Our Lady of Altotting. Conrad was given the position of porter at this shrine, and retained it until his death.

For more than 40 years Conrad , the  porter, admitted people to the friary, obtained supplies, dispened alms, encouraged others to open themselves to God, and generally assisting the thousands who came to the friary on pilgrimages.  He worked with local children, teaching them the faith and practices, and supported charities for them. He was noted for the gifts of prophesy and of reading people's hearts.
Conrad  loved  silence.His spare moments during the day were spent in a special spot  near the door where he could see and adore the Blessed Sacrament. At night he devoted  several hours to prayers. He is said to have written thus to a friend once:

“My life is to love God, suffer, and marvel in ecstasies and prayers about the love God has for us, poor creatures. His love never ends. There is nothing in my occupations that separates me from this union with God. My book is the Cross. It suffices for me to look at it to know what I should do.”

Three days before his death, he resigned his office of porter. He celebrated Mass, and took to his sick bed. Local children whom he had taught the rosary recited it outside his window until the end.  He died on 21 April 1894 in the shrine where he had worked for forty-one years.His death was from natural causes.
He was:
Beatified
15 June 1930 by Pope Pius XI
Canonized
20 May 1934 by Pope Pius XI

Saint Conrad is the patron saint of doorkeepers among other patronages.
Saint Conrad,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 19, 2011, 06:30:58 PM »

I'd say the prayers of St Francis had something to do with this change of heart.

I love reading these saints of the day stories odhiambo. Great work.  thumbs up

Thanks martin  Smiley
I agree with you; Saint Francis definitely had something to do with it  Grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »

Quote:
"It was God’s will that I should leave everything that was near and dear to me. I thank him for having called me to religious life where I have found such peace and joy as I could never have found in the world. My plan of life is chiefly this: to love and suffer, always meditating upon, adoring and admiring God’s unspeakable love for his lowliest creatures"

Letter of Saint Conrad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »

A Spiritual Communion
By St. Conrad of Parzham

I have come to spend a few moments with Thee, O Jesus, and in spirit I prostrate myself in the dust before Thy Holy Tabernacle to adore Thee, my Lord and God, in deepest humility. Once more a day has come to its close, dear Jesus, another day which brings me nearer to the grave and my beloved heavenly home. Once more, O Jesus, my heart longs for Thee, the true Bread of Life, which contains all sweetness and relish. O my Jesus, mercifully grant me pardon for the faults and ingratitude of this day, and come to me to refresh my poor heart which longs for Thee. As the heart pants for the waters, as the parched earth longs for the dew of heaven, even so does my poor heart long for Thee, Thou Fount of Life. I love Thee, O Jesus, I hope in Thee, I love Thee, and out of love for Thee I regret sincerely all my sins. May Thy peace and Thy benediction be mine now and always and for all eternity. Amen.

Source: Franciscan Archive

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 19, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »

Resolutions of a Novice
    By St. Conrad of Parzham

Resolutions taken with great deliberation and full confidence in the assistance of Jesus and Mary to help me keep them.

1. I will strive earnestly to form the habit of always placing myself in the presence of God and of often asking myself: Would I do this or that if my confessor or my superior were observing me, and especially in the presence of God and my guardian angel?

2. I will often ask myself when crosses and pain come upon me: Conrad, why are you here?

3. I will avoid as much as possible going out of the monastery, unless love of neighbor or obedience or health demand it, or for some other good reason.

4. I will earnestly strive to preserve brotherly charity in myself and in others. I will be careful never to utter a word against charity. I will patiently bear with the faults, defects and weaknesses of others and as far as possible I will cover them with the mantle of charity, whenever there is no obligation to reveal them to one who has the power to correct them.

5. I will carefully observe silence as much as possible. I will always be sparing of my words in conversation and thereby avoid many faults and be able to converse the better with God.

6. At table I will always place myself in the presence of God and conduct myself with great reserve, denying myself those dishes that I would relish most and practicing especially those mortifications which are least noticeable. Outside of mealtime I will take no food unless commanded by holy obedience.

7. I will always go to the choir immediately when the signal is given, if not otherwise prevented.

8. I will avoid association with persons of the other sex as much as possible, unless obedience imposes on me a duty which requires association with them. In that case I will be very serious and keep my eyes in strict control.

9. I will always practice obedience exactly and punctually, and will strive particularly to conquer my own will in all things.

10. I will earnestly try to be faithful even in small matters and abhor every voluntary imperfection. I will scrupulously observe the Holy Rule and never depart from it by even a hair's breadth, no matter what happens.

11. I will ever strive to cultivate a tender devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and endeavor to imitate Her virtues.

Source: Franciscan Archive

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: April 19, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »

The 19th of April is also Pope St. Leo IX's day. ..

He was the son of Count Hugh of Egisheim, and a cousin of Emperor Conrad II.

His mother had a vision of a man in a religious habit, foretelling that her son would be great before God, and giving him the name he bore, 'Bruno'.

Whilst still a youth and at home for his holidays, he was attacked when asleep by some animal, and so much injured that for some time he lay between life and death. In that condition he saw, as he used afterwards to tell his friends, a vision of St. Benedict, who cured him by touching his wounds with a cross.

Before he became Pope he was a soldier and officer in the imperial army.

His given name was common, 'Bruno', but he was known to distinguish him from the others as 'the good Bruno'.

In the year of Our Lord 1021, while still in the military, he was chosen bishop of Toul, France, a position he held for 20 years. Indeed the people begged for him to be their bishop, and he having served there as canon was in line for this office. The see was seen as an insignificant post for one of his talents and lineage, but he persuaded the Emperor to allow him to hold it, happy for its obscurity, though his friends all sorrowed for the loss of his company.

He commanded troops under emperor Conrad II in the invasion of Italy in 1026.

Very disciplined himself, he brought order to the monasteries in his diocese, discipline to the clergy, and the Cluniac reform to many of his houses.

In 1049, after he was chosen 151st Pope he brought his zeal for discipline and reform to the entire Church.

He brought Hildebrand, later Pope Saint Gregory VII, to Rome with him as his spiritual advisor.

He reformed houses and parishes, fought simony, enforced clerical celibacy, and encouraged the use of chant.

He fought to prevent the coming Great Schism between the Eastern and Western churches.

He received the nickname of Pilgrim Pope due to his travels through Europe, enforcing his reforms, insisting that his bishops, clergy, and councils follow suit.

He held synods at Pavia, Rheims, Mainz and Vercelli where he condemned the heresies of Berengarius of Tours, which primarily concerned the Eucharist.

In what was intended to be a joint military expedition with Emperor Henry III, to relieve southern Italy from Norman oppression, he personally led an army to throw them out. However, the Emperor withdrew, and the Pope's army was defeated in the field and he was, with protestations of great respect from the Normans, nevertheless captured.

He spent months in imprisonment at Benevento. There he spent his time well, learning Greek to better understand the writings of the Eastern Church, but his health suffered badly.

He died shortly after his release.

. . .

'Seeing with what solicitude with which I must watch over all the churches, how the undisciplined and hostile nation of the Normans rose against the churches of God with unheard of fury and with an ungodliness worse than that of the pagans, how they slaughtered Christians everywhere and afflicted some of them with new and horrible tortures even unto death, how without any human feeling they spared neither child nor old man nor did they spare the weakness of woman; how they made no distinction between sacred and profane, how they plundered and burned the basilicas of the saints and tore them to the ground, I very often rebuked their perversity, reminding, beseeching, preaching, urging in season and out of season, and I threatened them with the terror of divine punishment.

But as the wise man says, "No one can make straight what God has made crooked" and "The fool is not corrected by words," their malice has become so hardened and obstinate that with every day it has added bad deeds to worse.

Consequently, choosing not only to use the property of others but also to exhaust my own resources in liberating Christ's sheep, I considered it necessary to raise a defensive force from whereever men could be recruited. . .'

Pope St. Leo IX

'Bishop Leo, servant of the servants of God, to the hermit Peter beloved son of Christ, the joy of eternal beatitude. . .

The book which you have published, my son, against the fourfold pollution of carnal contagion, frank in style and even more direct in reasoning, provides indisputable evidence of the intention of your mind to enter the holy fray on the side of the splendid might of shining modesty.

You have smitten wantonness of the flesh by thus striking with the arm of the spirit against obscene desire, clearly delineating the execrable vice by the authority of virtue, which, since it is itself immaculate, allows no uncleanness.'

Pope St. Leo IX, in a reply to St. Peter Damien, praising his book 'Gomorrah', against unnatural vice.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:45:40 PM by Shin » Logged

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: April 20, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »

thrones   Some treasure from St. Conrad, odhiambo!  cherubim

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 104 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. « previous next »
Jump to: