Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2021, 08:47:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days.  (Read 438961 times)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 15, 2021, 12:22:41 PM »

As you see I've learned to bring forward a quote, but not how to comment on it.  I hope to bring forward a quote about St Anselm on 4/21.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1633 on: April 16, 2021, 12:57:50 AM »

As you see I've learned to bring forward a quote, but not how to comment on it.  I hope to bring forward a quote about St Anselm on 4/21.

When you cite a quote, you can comment on it afterwards, if you type in below the last [/quote] tag.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 16, 2021, 08:33:43 AM »

When you cite a quote, you can comment on it afterwards, if you type in below the last
tag.
[/quote]

Thank you very much.  I pray you are feeling better.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: April 17, 2021, 07:44:20 AM »

St Stephen Harding (d1134) joined a group of hermits led by St Robert and St Alberic near Molesmes.  In 1094 they were given permission to found a more spiritual order at Citeaux.  St Stephen was elected abbot in 1109, and wrote the Charter of Charity, which organized the Cistercian Order, and was joined in 1112 by St Bernard and a group of 30 friends.

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: April 29, 2021, 10:45:29 AM »

Saint Peter Chanel
Priest and Martyr.

Peter was born in 1803 at Cluet( Clet) in the diocese of Belley, France. His parents were peasants. At the age of seven, he was a shepherd boy. His intelligence and simple piety brought him to the attention of the local priest, Father Trompier. The priest convinced his parents to let him study, in a little school he had started locally. From there Peter went on to the seminary. Here, at the diocesan Seminary, Peter won the affection and the esteem of both students and professorst It was said of him: "He had a heart of gold with the simple faith of a child, and he led the life of an angel."
He was ordained a priest in 1827 and assigned to a parish at Crozet. In three years he had transformed the parish. In 1831, he joined the newly founded Society of Mary( Marist Fathers).He had always wanted to become a missionary. He was, however, assigned to teach at the seminary in Belley. He did this for five years. Finally, in 1836, his dream was realized, and he was sent with other Marists to the islands of the Pacific. St. Peter was appointed Superior of this little band of missionaries.
After strenous ten month journey, the team reached their destination. They split up and St. Peter went to the Island of Futuna ( ? Marshall Islands) accompanied by a lay brother and an English layman, Thomas Boog. They were at first well received by the pagans and their king Niuliki who had only recently forbidden canabalism. However, the king's jealousy and fear was aroused when the missionaries learned the language and gained the people's confidence. He realized the adoption of the Christian Faith would lead to the abolition of some of the powers he enjoyed as highpriest and also as king.
The last straw, was when the chief's son asked for baptism. This so angered the chief that he sent warriors to kill the missionary.
On April 18, 1841, a band of native warriors entered the hut of Father Peter Chanel on the island of Futuna in the New Hebrides islands near New Zealand. They clubbed the missionary to death and cut up his body with hatchets.
Two years after this detestible murder of Saint Peter, we are told that the whole island was Catholic!
Here is a very appropriate commentary from Eternal Word Television Network on the martyrdom of Saint Peter.

“St. Peter Chanel's death bears witness to the ancient axiom that "the blood of martyrs is the seed of Christians." He is the first martyr from Oceania, that part of the world spread over the south Pacific, and he came there as the fulfillment of a dream he had had as a boy”

Saint Peter was canonized in 1954 by Pope XII.

Saint Peter Chanel,
Pray for us!

This witness has a very strong emotional draw for me.  Foley begins with a statement that anyone who has worked in loneliness, with great adaptation required, and little apparent success, will feel in St Peter a kindred Spirit.  Curiously, Foley concludes by saying the entire island was converted within two years of Peter's death, which Foley and Delaney agree occurred on 4/28. 
Foley says one other Christian remained on the island with Peter, and Delaney says there were to lay brothers with him, but strangely neither mentions the fate of these brothers.  St Peter pray for us.
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 16, 2021, 10:15:40 AM »

Little is known of his early life. Legend says that at age twelve he began to live as a hermit in a hollow oak tree; the name Stock is believed derived from the old English for tree trunk. Itinerant preacher. Pilgrim to the Holy Lands, but left when invading Muslims chased out Christians. Joined the Carmelite Order soon after its arrival in England.

Lived and studied for several years in Rome and Mount Carmel. Elected sixth general of the Carmelites in 1247 around age 82. Helped the Order spread through England, southern and western Europe. Founded houses in Cambridge, England in 1248, Oxford in 1253, Paris in 1260, and Bologna in 1260. Revised the Rule of the Order to make them mendicant friars instead of hermits.

Regardless of these successes, the Order was oppressed on all sides, including by the clergy and other orders. The friars took their woes to their patroness, the Virgin Mary. Tradition says that in answer, she appeared to Simon bringing him the brown scapular of the Carmelites. "This shall be the privilege for you and for all the Carmelites," she told him, "that anyone dying in this habit shall be saved." On 13 January 1252 the Order received a letter of protection from Pope Innocent IV, protecting them from harassment.

There were several other posts about Simon Stock with this one.  According to Delaney he was never formally canonized, although veneration and celebration of his feast 5/16 was authorized by the Holy See for Carmelites.  Pray for us.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days. « previous next »
Jump to: