Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: A Certain Brother Said 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Certain Brother Said  (Read 3175 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:51:44 AM »

A certain brother said to an old man, "Do you think, abba, that holy men are always aware when they have been filled with grace?"

"They aren't, always," he said. "There was a disciple of one great old man who transgressed in some way or other, and the old man got angry and shouted at him 'Go away and die'. And immediately he did fall down dead. When the old man saw that he was dead he was filled with a great fear, and in great humility prayed to God, saying, 'Lord Jesus Christ, bring him back to life again, and I won't ever speak to him again like that so sharply.' As he was speaking the disciple revived."

- from the sayings of the desert fathers

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
PilgrimToChrist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »

Father said in a class before Mass last Sunday that Confessors are not supposed to tell a person if they think that they have a high amount of grace, otherwise they could fall into spiritual pride and lose it.
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

True. Easy to fall into the trap of spiritual pride.

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »

Here's from a past quote for last year's Lent.

'I will relate what happened at that time in a certain monastery, but I do not wish to give the name of the monk, who is still alive, for fear that when this account comes to him he may become vainglorious and lose merit. A young man came to the monastery and presented himself to the abbot with the proposal to pass his life in God's service. The abbot made many objections, explaining that the service there was hard, and he could never accomplish what was required of him. But he promised that he would call on the Lord's name and accomplish it all. And so he was admitted by the abbot. After a few days during which he proved to all that he was humble and holy, it happened that the monks threw out of the granary about three chori of grain and left it to dry in the sun and appointed this monk to guard it. And while the others were taking refreshment and he was left to guard the grain, the sky suddenly became overcast, and a heavy rain with roaring wind came swiftly in the direction of the heap of grain. Upon seeing it the monk knew not how to act or what to do. He thought however that even if he called the rest considering the great quantity of grain they would not be able to store it in the granary before the rain, and so giving up everything else he devoted himself to prayer, beseeching the Lord not to allow a drop of the rain to fall on the wheat. And when he threw himself on the ground and prayed the cloud was divided, and although there was a heavy downpour all around, if it is right to say so, it did not dampen a single grain of the wheat. And when the other monks and the abbot became aware of the coming storm they came quickly to take the grain within, and saw this miracle, and looking for the man in charge of the grain they found him close by stretched out on the sand praying. The abbot on seeing this prostrated himself close to him, and when the rain had passed and the prayer was finished he called to him to arise, and gave orders to seize him and punish him with stripes, saying: "My son, you must grow in the fear and service of God with humility, and not be puffed up with prodigies and miracles." He ordered him to remain shut up in his cell seven days, and to fast as if he were at fault, in order to keep vainglory from forming an obstacle before him. At the present time, as we learn from men of the faith, the same monk is so abstemious that he eats no bread in the forty days of Lent and drinks only a cup of barley-water every third day. And may the Lord with your prayers deign to keep him as is pleasing to himself until his life is ended.'

St. Gregory of Tours

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: A Certain Brother Said « previous next »
Jump to: