Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St. Francis de Sales on self-love 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: St. Francis de Sales on self-love  (Read 2816 times)
Bailey2

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »

“Self-love, then, is one of the sources of our disturbance; the other is the importance we give ourselves.  Why is it that when we happen to commit some imperfection or sin, we are so surprised, upset, and impatient?  Without doubt, it is because we thought we were something special, resolute, and steady, and therefore, when we discover that in reality we are nothing of the kind and have fallen flat on our face, we are disappointed, and consequently we are vexed, offended, and upset.  If we really knew ourselves well, instead of being astonished at finding ourselves on the ground, we would marvel that we ever manage to remain standing up.”  St. Frances de Sales
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »

This is making me think of Bl. Giles of Assisi, one of St. Francis's companions.

'Let me lie on the ground, for if I do not rise, I shall not be able to fall!'

Bl. Giles of Assisi

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »

Oh boy! So true. Roll Eyes

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St. Francis de Sales on self-love « previous next »
Jump to: