Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 05, 2020, 03:12:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: By St. Augustine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: By St. Augustine  (Read 3513 times)
Bailey2

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »

The turbulent have to be corrected, the faint-hearted cheered up, the weak supported; the Gospel's opponents need to be refuted, its insidious enemies guarded against; the unlearned need to be taught, the indolent stirred up, the argumentative checked; the proud must be put in their place, the desperate set on their feet, those engaged in quarrels reconciled; the needy have to be helped, the oppressed to be liberated, the good to be encouraged, the bad to be tolerated; all must be loved.  St. Augustine
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:14:50 AM »

Good quote!

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »

There is much work to do!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »

In what year was St. Augustine declared the Doctor of Grace?
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »

Great question.  I was trying to return to the thread on whether evil is from God and stumbled into this one, but after at least a half hour on this one I can't find the source of the Dr of Grace designation, nor whether it applies just to St Augustine, or all four Great Latin Fathers/Doctors, or perhaps to the Four Greeks as well.  I suspect you know of Pope Boniface VIII's letter of 1298, and I'm tempted to presume it isn't what you're inquiring about.  I'm delighted to see discussion here and hope to return much more frequently.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »

Great question.  I was trying to return to the thread on whether evil is from God and stumbled into this one, but after at least a half hour on this one I can't find the source of the Dr of Grace designation, nor whether it applies just to St Augustine, or all four Great Latin Fathers/Doctors, or perhaps to the Four Greeks as well.  I suspect you know of Pope Boniface VIII's letter of 1298, and I'm tempted to presume it isn't what you're inquiring about.  I'm delighted to see discussion here and hope to return much more frequently.

eschator83, I was not inquiring about Pope Boniface VIII's letter of 1298. Please return more frequently!!!  Cheesy
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 10:04:21 PM »

It's good to hear from you eschator! Cheesy

We've had some fine quotes to appreciate from St. Augustine lately.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »

Many thanks for both comments and smilies.  You have greatly brightened my day.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »

Many thanks for both comments and smilies.  You have greatly brightened my day.

Eschator, Thank you for the pleasant compliment! Do you like to learn about Popes from previous centuries?
eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »

Yes, I enjoy most history, especially the Church and its Popes.  I was very disappointed when Shin stopped posting about Pope Pius V, but felt his thread didn't encourage comments. 
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 08:10:02 PM »

Eschator, In Catholic General Discussion I have begun two threads: Holy Roman Empire and Church Affairs.
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: By St. Augustine « previous next »
Jump to: