Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:28:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: For Lent...and beyond 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: For Lent...and beyond  (Read 11051 times)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »

When I say mortified, I do not allude to the penances practiced by the Saints. Far from resembling those heroic souls who from their childhood use fast and scourge and chain to discipline the flesh, I made my mortifications consist simply in checking my self-will, keeping back an impatient answer, rendering a small service in a quiet way, and a hundred other similar things. By means of these trifles I prepared myself to become the spouse of Christ, and I can never tell you, dear Mother, how much the enforced delay helped me to grow in self abandonment, humility, and other virtues.

St. Therese of Lisieux - A Story of a Soul

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.
Matt. 6:21
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »

Yes, she certainly did what was contrary to her will. Smiley

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Consecrated one
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:38 PM »

Very admirable self control.  But she did "discipline" 'till the blood flowed.  Sometimes our Saints are actually not so healthy for me! angel blue
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »

Very admirable self control.  But she did "discipline" 'till the blood flowed.  Sometimes our Saints are actually not so healthy for me! angel blue

I was listening to EWTN Radio yesterday in the car and Fr. Groeschel came on for five minutes talking about the big Saints being given the Grace to do heroic acts of penance, however those are not the usual for most people. What a relief - I know too that I won't be one of the big Saints and that's almost a relief. I can just do what is needed for me at the time and not worry about being heroic. Whew!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 04:30:08 PM »

Honestly the discipline was really common for ordinary folks not too long ago, it doesn't take a 'big saint' to do it. I think people nowadays have a reaction against it that is based mostly in fear of the unknown rather than capacity or the good of the penance.

I would recommend it to anyone without some extraordinary psychological problems who would take a wrong approach to it.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »

Honestly the discipline was really common for ordinary folks not too long ago, it doesn't take a 'big saint' to do it. I think people nowadays have a reaction against it that is based mostly in fear of the unknown rather than capacity or the good of the penance.

I would highly recommend it to anyone without some extraordinary psychological problems who would take a wrong approach to it.

The Orthodox church sure does a heavy fast!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 04:33:30 PM »

I would highly recommend it to anyone without some extraordinary psychological problems who would take a wrong approach to it.

We used to do much much more too! These are.. many would say, very lax times. Where you have to make up for what is not required of your own initiative, which is more difficult.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 04:49:40 PM »

We used to do much much more too! These are.. many would say, very lax times. Where you have to make up for what is not required of your own initiative, which is more difficult.

Yes, they are lax times, however I wonder if Rome isn't right about not making many penances mandatory, since the social revolution doesn't want any authority. Besides, I think many people were doing the actions without real conversion from their hearts. That just promotes phariseeism (sp?). And the current bishops wouldn't go along with it at all, besides so many of the priests (at least around here, I know) wouldn't even say anything about it in their parish. This way the people that are given that Grace will do further penances anyway, and those that don't have that particular Grace won't be pharisaical. Getting a more prevalent, accessible TLM is the most that the bishops seem to be capable of and many won't even do that (none of the traditional orders - like SSPX - are even in this state at all unless you count the CMRI).

Consecrated one
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:41:59 PM »

I entered a Carmelite Monastery as a postulant.  Mother told me late Fri. night, as I crawled the
Stations of the Cross, that I would be expected to Whip myself with my belt each Fri. nite to do penance for Priests.  I was on a Greyhound bus, with a weird haircut, and a mental
breakdown by Saturday noon.  big hanky

I Can Fast Like Crazy  thumbs up

We are each called to do different things, different ways, at different times in our lives.  
And some things,  Not at All! hospital trip

I really have to disagree that "most"  people would be recommended or even acceptable to do that to themselves. My opinion is based on personal experience rather than "the unknown"!  I heard the moans and whimpers from my sisters.  I really strongly disagree with your statement, don't think I've done that with you before, Shin, maybe you have a personal experience, like I do, that colors your perception?
I really, really disagree on this, can't state it strongly enough Act of God
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:55:55 PM by Vicky » Logged
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »

I entered a Carmelite Monastery as a postulant.  Mother told me late Fri. night, as I crawled the
Stations of the Cross, that I would be expected to Whip myself with my belt each Fri. nite to do penance for Priests.  I was on a Greyhound bus, with a weird haircut, and a mental

We are each called to do different things, different ways, at different times in our lives.  

I really have to disagree that "most"  people would be recommended or even acceptable to do that to themselves. My opinion is based on personal experience rather than "the unknown"!  I heard the moans and whimpers from my sisters.  I really strongly disagree with your statement, don't think I've done that with you before, Shin, maybe you have a personal experience, like I do, that colors your perception?

I, for one, don't have any personal experience that is at all close to this. I know that, hair shirts, etc. were commonly done a few centuries ago, but for lay people physical mortifications are now only strongly recommended after getting an okay from your SD (religious SD is often their superior anyway). Fasting (not abstinence, after checking with your doctor) depends on so much, like pregnancy, age, diabetes, other medical problems (that were not known about back when severe mortifications were common for lay people). In fact, I have read by someone who I respected and was official (I can't remember who) who said that lay people should not do a bread and water fast for more than 3 days. He said it was usually due to a hidden pride and was also quite unhealthy, so not giving the stewardship we owe to our Creator.

For me, not being or thinking uncharitable thoughts, or making sure I show adequate patience is a very rough penance (and an attachment, probably), especially to some members of my family. Now, not eating cooky/cake dough (which aren't good for my blood sugar anyway), is also a rough penance. Everyone has different things that are tough to get rid of for Lent (hard candy, for instance, I don't like anyway, nor meat nor coffee nor ice cream). I have watched my diet for so long that giving up a particular food is not very difficult for me, unless it's giving up eating all the way or not getting enough protein, then I'm comatose in no time.

Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:55:25 PM »

I really have to disagree that "most"  people would be recommended or even acceptable to do that to themselves. My opinion is based on personal experience rather than "the unknown"!  I heard the moans and whimpers from my sisters.  I really strongly disagree with your statement, don't think I've done that with you before, Shin, maybe you have a personal experience, like I do, that colors your perception?

When did you enter the Carmelite monastery, Vicky? And was it O.Carm. or OCD? Other than age and health not allowing it now, I am very interested in the Carmelites. In fact, if there were a Carmelite third order around I'd enter it.

Consecrated one
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 07:02:23 PM »

1989, in CA.  We had vows of silence and a Grille, it was beautiful until That Friday Night. cross prayer
Brigid
Established

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 07:09:12 PM »

1989, in CA.  We had vows of silence and a Grille, it was beautiful until That Friday Night. cross prayer

Wonderful (except the scourging)!

As far as Lent, I couldn't not eat some oils as they help steady blood sugar, however I could certainly not eat sugar or white flour. I did that last year, tho' and I think my attachments to mental uncharity and impatience are blocking me from excepting His will more.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »

Low blood sugar can be a problem.. I know. You do what you're capable of. Smiley

Consecrated one
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »

This is such a wonderful time to be praying and preparing for Lent.  I know I had never planned on going back to my Liturgy of the Hours, but I find myself drawn to it!  I always pray to be led to whatever will help me carry my cross with Him during Lent, so as to rise as a new me, with Him on Easter Sunday. angel blue
AutumnRose

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 05:27:17 AM »

I would recommend it to anyone without some extraordinary psychological problems who would take a wrong approach to it.
I've just been reading through various threads I haven't looked at before and found this.
I too recognise the value of the discipline, and have one I made myself which I use, very moderately on the shoulders on Fridays during my prayer time, as a reminder of my sins. It doesn't hurt a great deal, but helps a great deal!
 littlewings

“Suscipe me Domine, secundum eloquium tuum, et vivam et non confundas me in expectatione mea.” ~ Psalm 118:116
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: For Lent...and beyond « previous next »
Jump to: