Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St. Mark the Ascetic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: St. Mark the Ascetic  (Read 3010 times)
ChristianCatholic

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:28:46 AM »

Shin,

Where do all the quotes from St. Mark the Ascetic come from?
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:03:57 AM »

They're from his works 'On the Spiritual Law: Two Hundred Texts', 'On Those who Think that They are Made Righteous by Works: Two Hundred and Twenty-Six Texts', and "Letter to Nicolas the Solitary'.

There's not much of his work translated into English as far as I can tell. The only way to get it AFAIK is through the compilation work the Philokalia, which in its first two volumes at least is largely a compilation of Catholic works from before the schism of the 'Orthodox'. If you throw away what little commentary there is included with the work from that perspective, then there are some important writings that AFAIK you cannot otherwise get of some saints.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »

From his youth Mark's fondest pursuit was the reading of Holy Scripture.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 12:16:43 AM »

St. Mark the Ascetic truly has so many wonderful quotes. So much so that I read a 14th century manuscript contains the words:

"Sell everything and buy Mark!"

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 11:45:53 AM »

St. Mark's works are traditionally of the spiritual law, of penitence, of baptism, and on fasting and humility.
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 06:33:49 PM »

A quotation from St. Mark the Ascetic   

You should continually and increasingly call to mind all the blessings which God in His love     
has bestowed on you in the past, and still bestows for the salvation of your soul.
Benedict

Patron Saint Benedict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 04:58:39 PM »

"Wishing to show that to fulfill every commandment is a duty, whereas sonship is a gift given to men through His own Blood, the Lord said: 'When you have done all that is commanded you, say: 'We are useless servants: we have only done what was our duty' (Luke 17:10). Thus the kingdom of heaven is not a reward for works, but a gift of grace prepared by the Master for his faithful servants."

Saint Mark the Ascetic

PAX
CRUX SANCTI PATRIS BENEDICTI
CRUX SACRA SIT MIHI LUX!
NON DRACO SIT MIHI DUX!
VADE RETRO SATANA!
NUMQUAM SUADE MIHI VANA!
SUNT MALA QUAE LIBAS
IPSE VENENA BIBAS!
All Glory Be To God!
All Praise Be To God!
For God Is Greater Than All Things!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Alleluia!
Glory to Th
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: St. Mark the Ascetic « previous next »
Jump to: