Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:04:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Spiritual Communion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spiritual Communion  (Read 5555 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:36:10 AM »

'In this golden ciborium I put your Sacramental Communions. In this silver ciborium I put your Spiritual Communions. Both ciboriums are quite pleasing to Me.'

Our Lord Jesus Christ, to St. Catherine of Siena

I read this occurred when the saint was afraid that a Spiritual Communion was nothing compared to a Sacramental Communion.  Cheesy

It is quite possible to receive Spiritual Communion, many many times each day, something which sadly, is not possible with Sacramental Communion.

But it is worth reflecting on how many times we receive Sacramental Communion throughout our lives.. If one were go to to daily mass, perhaps twice a day.. One day for every year of one's life.. years.. decades.. thousands, tens of thousands of days..

If we then, add to that our Spiritual Communions..

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:47:49 AM »

I read that Blessed Agatha of the Cross so pined away with love of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, that if not for being taught the practice of Spiritual Communion by her confessor, it is said she would have died.

And since then she made two hundred Spiritual Communions a day.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

How to make a spiritual communion?

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »

Well, there are various prayers of Acts of Spiritual Communion:

My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.  I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You.  Never permit me to be separated from You.

Amen.

Then there are the words one uses during the Mass too. . .

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »

'If you practice the holy exercise of Spiritual Communion a good many times each day, within a month you will see yourself completely changed.'

St. Leonard of Port Maurice

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »

Who doesn't want to be completely changed?  littlewings  Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »

'As in all visits to the Most Blessed Sacrament, a Spiritual Communion is recommended; it will be well to explain what it is, and the great advantages which result from its practice. A spiritual communion, according to Saint Thomas, consists in an ardent desire to receive Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament, and in lovingly embracing Him as if we had actually received Him.

How pleasing these spiritual communions are to God, and the many graces which He bestows through their means, was manifested by Our Lord Himself to Sister Paula Maresca, the foundress of the convent of Saint Catherine of Sienna in Naples, when (as it is related in her life) He showed her two precious vessels, the one of gold, the other of silver. He then told her that in the gold vessel He preserved her sacramental communions, and in the silver one her spiritual communions. He also told Blessed Jane of the Cross that each time that she communicated spiritually, she received a grace of the same kind as the one that she received when she really communicated. Above all, it will suffice for us to know that the holy Council of Trent (Session 13, C. 8) greatly praises spiritual communions, and encourages the faithful to practice them.

All those who desire to advance in the love of Jesus Christ are exhorted to make a spiritual communion at least once in every visit that they pay to the Most Blessed Sacrament, and at every Mass that they hear; and it would even be better on these occasions to repeat the communions three times, that is to say, at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end. This devotion is far more profitable than some suppose, and at the same time nothing can be easier to practice. The above-named Blessed Jane of the Cross used to say, that a spiritual communion can be made without anyone remarking on it, without fasting, without the permission of our director, and that we can make it at any time we please; an act of love does all.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Any Devout Person, may at any Hour, on any Day, Receive Christ in Spiritual Communion, Profitably and without Hindrance. . . For as often as he Devoutly calls-to Mind, the Mystery and Passion of the Incarnate Christ, and is Inflamed-with Love for Him, he Communicates Mystically, and is Invisibly Refreshed.'

Thomas à Kempis
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:11:12 PM by Shin » Logged

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »

Thank you Shin!
How so much has literally passed me by  Sad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »

Thank you Shin!
How so much has literally passed me by  Sad

Priceless treasure!

Begin today and you will find yourself not yourself soon enough!

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 03:32:37 AM »

A  Spiritual Communion by Saint Conrad

I have come to spend a few moments with Thee, O Jesus, and in spirit I prostrate myself in the dust before Thy Holy Tabernacle to adore Thee, my Lord and God, in deepest humiliy. Once more a day has come to its close, dear Jesus, another day which brings me nearer to the grave and my beloved heavenly home. Once more, O Jesus, my heart longs for Thee, the true Bread of Life, which containes all sweetness and relish. O my Jesus, mercifully grant me pardon for the faults and ingratitutde of this day, and come to me to refresh my poor heart which longs for Thee. As the heart pants for the waters, as the parched earth longs for the dew of heaven, even so does my poor heart long for Thee, Thou Fount of Life. I love Thee, O Jesus, I hope in Thee, I love Thee, and out of love for Thee I regret sincerely all my sins. May Thy peace and Thy benediction be mine now and always and for all eternity. Amen.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Spiritual Communion « previous next »
Jump to: