Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Technical Support  |  Topic: Selections for Meditation and Concordances 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Selections for Meditation and Concordances  (Read 22800 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:00:53 PM »

Currently a new section of Saints' Quotes is in the works, called 'Selections'.

In this section there will be selections of quotations for meditation, as well as longer series of texts for thought.

There will be untitled themes, simply given numbers, and titled themes.

There are also at this point two 'Centuries' that is subjects with over one hundred quotations in the text.

The two centuries we have so far are on 'Fewness' and 'Hell'. We will have some soon on lighter subjects, 'Love', 'Mercy', 'Gratitude', there is nice progress on 'Forgiveness' at this point. In the meantime, those who benefit from fear for the sake of motivation can find some in these two centuries, those who are easily disturbed, and do not need so much help, can remember the rare virtues surrounding mortification of curiosity. We must choose what is best for our mental and spiritual conditions. Please.

I will say these centuries have been of great benefit for helping motivate me.

Of the other selections listed so far, only 'One', 'Mirrors' and 'Almsgiving' are finished. The others are not and largely unselected texts, not yet arranged or filled out.

'One' and 'Mirrors' are particularly meant for meditation.

'Heaven' should in time have a good deal of quotes added to it on the joy thereof, and how there are different beatitudes, greater or less, and how every minute of this life we can perhaps change how deep and wide our love of God will be forever in Heaven. And so, how priceless time is.

How many people do not know about this and think Heaven is the same for everyone! How much lost time...

The preview link for those who go to the forums is here.

This link is a preview, it is not on the main website pages, it is not yet sufficiently finished for public release. So it's a benefit for the forum family to see it first.

This is also being release so if any of you have, or decide to take of the task of making concordances of saints' quotations on various subjects, you are encouraged to send them in so they can be considered for addition to the Selections.

Please consider taking up such helpful work for your own soul as taking notes and making concordances of saints' quotations on various subjects.

This is a method of spiritually understanding matters that you might have long desired to know of. Cheesy

God keep everyone.  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »

Very nice, Shin. Matter of fact, just a few days back while browsing through the quotes I thought ' Wouldn't it be nice if these were ordered by subject '   Thanks a lot, Shin for all your effort!!   Cheesy

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »

I'd like to ask anyone who passes by this little thread, if you wish to contribute saints' quotes on certain subjects, to perhaps be included on the Selections page, feel free to post them here.

All that's needed is several quotes on the same theme, illustrating the subject matter so as to give greater insight or to provide help for meditation. If they are arranged in a good order or flow, all the better.

Any theme one wishes will do. Cheesy

As sufficient quotes on a single theme are found, this will help work on the Selections page progress.  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:22:41 PM »

Well done Shin!
I loved the beautiful flowers Grin

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:38:28 PM »

Glad to hear it George! Thanks be to God for all His flowers!  flower

George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »

Hey Shin, I would like to submit quotes on prayer, I'm not great on computer stuff, do I just put them here in this section?

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »

That's fine, you can put them here. Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 04:16:02 AM »

The selections have been updated with a series of quotations on Limbo.

It's not a concordance, there are many more that could have been included, this is just a select few.

I hope to expand either the Heaven section or put in place the Beatitude section soon, which with further quotes should prove especially uplifting and inspiring. 

Perhaps in the future there may be a century (100) text series on Heaven, it depends on what can be found.

I think perhaps there may be a century on prayer in the works too.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »

Don't forget folks the Selections of Inspirational Quotations for meditation, and any quotes you might suggest for them.

And just a reminder in this holy season there are some beautiful quotations on Almsgiving.

This is the time for giving! Cheesy

I pray charities and those in need see the fruits of it.

And don't forget this little place if you can remember it.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »

I always think that taking notes of one's favorite quotes and those that inspire and instruct is so helpful a pastime.

If anyone collects enough on a particular theme, just send them in. Hopefully enough selections will be finished for a public launch in time.  Grin

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »

It's truly simple to gather quotes.

All you have to do is open a notepad or wordpad program, and an e-book, side by side, and start copying and pasting from one to the other!

And in this way you can make little concordances to learn from.

Or you can do it the old fashioned way with a real book and a real note pad, or even a journal!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »

Along with the new quotes on Christian Conversation, there is now a section devoted to meals. I.e. how to eat as a Christian, as opposed to with vice.

It should hopefully continue to be extended and filled out somewhat before finish.

Remember folks to always say grace and remember God throughout meals, giving thanks at the end!  crucifix

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »

Folks, a century on Heaven is in the works, like the previous centuries.. it is almost complete, a little more if folks will provide them..

I am hoping that soon enough of the selections for meditation will be complete that it's finally added to the front page of Saints' Quotes.

So look up some old saints' writings folks, and see what your eyes find!

'Do penance: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.'

Matthew 3:2

Thou, O Lord, art a fire that burns and consumes not; and, from their immediate nearness to the fires of Thy Godhead, all the sacred choir of the Seraphim are wrapt in coruscating flame, and pour abroad the overflowing of their blissful ardours on the other armies of Thy battling hosts; and of these we in our turn have tasted of the fulness.'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

'I beheld till thrones were set, and the Ancient of days sat: his vesture white as snow, and the hair of his head as clean wool: his throne flames of fire: his wheels fire kindled.

A fire & swift stream came forth from his face thousands of thousands ministered to him, & ten thousand hundred thousands assisted him: judgment sate, and the Books were opened.

I beheld because of the voice of the great words, which that horn spake: and I saw that the beast was slain, and the body thereof was perished, and was committed to the fire to be burnt. The power of the other beasts also was taken away: and times of life were appointed them until time, and time.

I beheld therefore in the vision of the night, and Lo with the clouds of heaven there came in, as it were the son of man, and he came even to the ancient of days: and in his sight they offered him.

And he gave him power, and honor, and kingdom: and all peoples, tribes, & tongues shall serve him: his power, an eternal power, that shall not be taken away: and his kingdom, that shall not be corrupted.

My spirit trembled, I Daniel was made sore afraid at these things, and the visions of my head troubled me.'

Daniel 7:9-15

'There shall not enter into it any thing defiled, or that worketh abomination or maketh a lie, but they that are written in the book of life of the Lamb. '

Apocalypse 21:27

'The greater the charity of the saints, in their heavenly home, the more they intercede for those who are still on their journey and the more they can help them by their prayers; the more they are united with God, the more effective those prayers are. This is in accordance with divine order, which makes higher things react upon lower things, like the brightness of the sun filling the atmosphere.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

'Let us remember that every act of mortification is a work for heaven. This thought will make all suffering and weariness sweet.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Blessed the one who always keeps the memory of God in himself, he will be wholly like an Angel from heaven upon earth, ministering to the Lord with fear and love.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:17 AM »

Folks we have some new additions to 'Selections' recently.

And a century of quotations on the subject of 'Peace' is halfway finished.

If there are any special quotations you've read on peace from the saints be sure to mention them.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »

A selection of quotations on bees is in the works and quite lengthy.

If anyone has any favorite quotes on bees, let folks know if you can.  Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »

The selection on bees is nearly finished.

A selection on the sin of usury is in the works, here is a preview link.

'My dear brethren, if I wanted to go into the conduct of all those who are present, I might perhaps find that I had only thieves. Does that amaze you?'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney

'His money he will not give on usury, and will not take interest. . . This is a righteous man. He shall surely live, saith the Lord. These words contain a description of the conduct of Christians, a notable exhortation to the blessed life, which is the reward of a life of goodness - everlasting life.'

St. Clement of Alexandria

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Technical Support  |  Topic: Selections for Meditation and Concordances « previous next »
Jump to: