Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 05, 2020, 03:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Wisdom from St. Francis de Sales 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wisdom from St. Francis de Sales  (Read 1973 times)
Bailey2

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:57:49 AM »

“I advise you to take the trouble now and then to visit hospitals, to comfort the sick, and to have compassion for their infirmities, letting these touch your heart; and pray for the sick even as you give them whatever help you can.  But in all this, be very careful that your husband, your servants, and your relatives be not inconvenienced by overly long visits to church, by too lengthy withdrawals to pray and noticeable neglect of your household responsibilities or, as sometimes happens, by your trying to control the actions of others, or showing too much disdain for gatherings where the rules of devotion are not precisely observed.  In all these instances charity must prevail and enlighten us so that we yield to the wishes of our neighbor in whatever is not contrary to the commandments of God.” 
St. Francis de Sales (May 3, 1604 to Madame Brulart)

Francis de Sales/Jane de Chantal: Letters of Spiritual Direction.  Translated by Peronne Marie Thibert, VHM.  Paulist Press, 1988. Page 104
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »

Great advice. Wish I had a spiritual director like him.  Smiley

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »

Thank you so much Bailey2! Cheesy It's splendid to read!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Pages: [1] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Wisdom from St. Francis de Sales « previous next »
Jump to: