Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 92 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2  (Read 567068 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

In this second year of the thread, Saint of the day and Feast days,
 I will be posting the lesser known saints.
May they be with us as we remember them and learn from the examples that they have set for us. crucifix
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:32:20 AM by Shin » Logged

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »

March 7
Today let us remember
Saint Paul the Simple
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:52:04 PM »

Saint Paul the Simple
Hermit and disciple of Saint Anthony.

Paul was a simple farmer in Egypt. When he was an old man of sixty, the poor man discovered that his wife was unfaithful to him. He left her and sought out Saint Anthony in the desert so as to become one of his disciples. At first, Anthony refused to accept him because he was now old and also because he doubted that Paul was sincere in his wish to become a hermit. As Paul was persistent, Saint Anthony gave him demanding and difficult tasks in an attempt to test his resolve. Paul did them all with eagerness. Saint Anthony was so impressed by his humility, obedience and simplicity that he called him “ the ideal monk”.and the “ Pride of the Desert”, bearing with honor the title of “ the Simple” He was so named because of his childlike innocence.
Paul was reputed to read minds and cure the sick.
He died in 340 and was canonized Pre-Congregation
Saint Paul the Simple
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:50 AM »

Ah yes, I remember St. Paul the Simple! What a splendid one.. where's some more of his story, I know I have it somewhere...

Ah, here it is!

Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:29:56 AM »

It is very good reading!
When Paul found his wife with this other man, he walked out on her, literally.
Where does that leave the bond of marriage?
"….for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part..." ?
"What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder"
Mark 10: 9 ?

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

Ah, this would be a case of, it appears..

'And I say to you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and he that shall marry her that is put away, committeth adultery.'

Matthew 19:9

In a case such as this, it is adultery, so he is allowed to 'put away' or 'separate from' his wife. While still married in sacrament, because of the adultery, it is now permissible for them to be parted permanently though neither can marry again while the other is living, as the concluding part indicates.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »

Ah, this would be a case of, it appears..

'And I say to you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and he that shall marry her that is put away, committeth adultery.'

Matthew 19:9

In a case such as this, it is adultery, so he is allowed to 'put away' or 'separate from' his wife. While still married in sacrament, because of the adultery, it is now permissible for them to be parted permanently though neither can marry again while the other is living, as the concluding part indicates.

Thanks. I have understood  thumbs up

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »

If I recall correctly too, in canon law -- if one accepts the adultery, and reconciles, then one no longer has the 'put away' option anymore. It's an occasion where a decision has to be made.

But I would have to look it up to be sure. Now where's my old book.. Ah here it is. This 1917 translation of the code has been a good acquisition.

Canon 1129

1. Because of the adultery of a spouse, the other spouse, the bond remaining, has the right of dissolving, even in perpetuity, the communion of life, unless he consented to the crime, or gave cause for it, or otherwise expressly or tacitly condoned it, or indeed himself committed the same crime.

2. Tacit condonation is considered [to have occurred] if the innocent spouse, after being made certain of the crime of adultery, freely engages in marital affection with the other spouse; but it is presumed unless, within six months, he expels or abandons the adulterous spouse, or makes a legitimate accusation against the other.

Canon 1130

The innocent spouse, whether he leaves by judicial sentence or by his own legitimate authority, is never bound by the obligation of readmitting the adulterous spouse to the consortium of life; but he may admit or recall the other, unless with his consent the other has taken up a life contrary to the married state.

Canon 1131

1. If one spouse gives his name to a non-Catholic sect; if he raises the children non-Catholic; if he leads a criminal or disgraceful life; if one creates a grave danger to the soul or body of the other; if by cruelty, one renders common life too difficult; these reasons and others of their sort are for the other spouse completely legitimate reasons for leaving, with the authority of the local Ordinary, or even on [the spouse's] own authority if these things appear certain and there is danger in delay.

2. In all such cases, the cause of the separation ceasing, life together is to be restored; but if the separation was decided by the Ordinary for a certain or uncertain time, the innocent spouse is not bound [to return] except by decree of the Ordinary or upon the completion of the time.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »

I never knew all this detailed.
What if the innocent party stays on in the marriage but denies the offender the intimacy of marriage. Is that permitted by the Church?

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »

For what little it's worth, after a case of adultery, I think this is correct. And if this is not denied, then it is taken as condonation.

I recall listening to an Audio Sancto (or was it Sensus Traditionis?) sermon that also went into cases when denial is a sin, but I do not recall the details.

I've been reading old books on family roles lately, it's quite interesting and quite hmm.. hard to find these days.

For what little it is worth it appears some material that runs counter Western culture is not being made available (to put it politely). I am hoping a fellow I've been in communication with, who is a linguist, will help make available some extracts.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:28 AM »

It is rather complicated  Sad
There is also Hosea and Gomer in the Old Testament. Very difficult to understand.
One can only trust in God and His mercy; it is all too easy to put a foot wrong.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »

March 8
Today we remember
Saint Duthus of Ross
Among many other Saints.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »

Saint Duthus
Bishop of Ross.

Saint Duthus, who is also known as Duthac, was born in the year 1000. Sources differ as to whether he was a Scotsman or an Irishman. According to SQPN and Dictionary of Saints by John J. Delaney, he was a Scotsman, born in a place called Tain in Scotland. According to Catholic on Line and Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Saints by Matthew Bunson, Margaret Bunson, and Stephen Bunson, however, he was an Irishman. ( The Irish among you would probably agree )
Wherever the place of his birth, Duthac was educated in Ireland. He was ordained a priest and in time, he became Bishop of Ross in Scotland. He was highly venerated for his miracles and prophecies. He is recorded as having predicted the Danish Invasion that was repulsed by King Harold Godwinson at the battle of Stamford Bridge 25 September 1066. He however died before witnessing his prophesy.
He died on 8 March 1065 in Ireland.
He was canonized on 11 July 1898 by Pope Leo XIII.
Saint Duthac,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »

March 9
Today we remember
Saint Pacian of Barcelona
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »

Saint Pacian
Bishop of Barcelona

He is also known as Pacianus of Barcelona.
Pacian was born in Spain.
Little is known about his life beyond the fact that he was married and had a son named Flavius Dexter and that he wrote extensively but only a few of his writings on penance, baptism, the supremacy of the Pope and against Novatianism are reportedly, still extant.
The saint is also remembered for including in one of his letters the phrase: “ Christianus mihi nomen est, catholicos vero cognomen” meaning “My name is Christian, my surname is Catholic.”  crucifix
Saint Jerome reportedly wrote about Pacian in De Viris Illustribus, praising him for his eloquence, learning, and deep sanctity.
Pacian died in 390 at Barcelona, Spain. He was canonized Pre Congregation.
Saint Pacian
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Bailey2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »

Odhiambo, what is Pre Congregation?  Huh?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 92 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 « previous next »
Jump to: