Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 92 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2  (Read 563779 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »

March 26
Today is the The Solemnity of
The Annunciation of the Lord.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »

The Feast of the Annunciation
The Feast of the Annunciation commemorates the angel Gabriel's announcement to Mary
that she would conceive Jesus, and the conception of Jesus by the Holy Spirit at that moment. The feast on this day, is celebrated 9 months before Jesus' birth at Christmas.
The story of the Annunciation, meaning the announcing, from the Latin annuntiare, is told in Luke's gospel. At the Annunciation, the angel Gabriel announced to Mary that she would conceive a Son, and his name would be Jesus. His greeting, "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you" has echoed down through the ages in many prayers,it is the "Hail Mary."
Mary was initially confused as to how she would bear God's Son, seeing as she was a virgin. The angel then explained that the Holy Spirit would come upon her. This was why when we recite the Nicene creed we say "by the power of the Holy Spirit, Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary and became man." The Apostles Creed likewise affirms that Jesus was "conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit." Thus, the Feast of the Annunciation is the beginning of Jesus' miraculous life.
Mary's response to the angel, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be done to me according to your word," (Latin: ecce ancilla Domini; fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum) is a statement of humble faith, and a model for how we are to respond when God calls us to do what seems impossible. This response is called Mary's fiat, from the Latin word meaning "let it be done." The Catechism addresses the significance of Mary's faith in relation to her role as Christ's mother:
By pronouncing her "fiat" at the Annunciation and giving her consent to the Incarnation, Mary was already collaborating with the whole work her Son was to accomplish. She is mother wherever he is Savior and head of the Mystical Body

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2012, 10:55:04 PM »

March 26
Today is also the Memorial of
Saint Braulio of Saragossa
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2012, 10:57:24 PM »

Saint Braulio of Saragossa
Braulio was born to a noble family in Saragossa, Spain in 590. He entered Saint Engratia's monastery where he became a monk. He also studied in Seville, under Saint Isidore. In 631, he became the Bishop of Saragossa . Braulio proved to be an outstanding scholar and preacher. He encouraged learning and fought Arianism. He also help Isidore in his effort to reform the Spanish Church. When Pope Honorius I charged that the Spanish Bishops were neglecting their responsibilities, Braulio wrote in their defense.
The Saint was known for his devotion to the BVM, his visions, his miracles, his austerities as well as for his compassion for the poor and the help he rendered them.
Braulio wrote the “Acts of the Martyrs of Saragossa”, a life of Saint Emilian.
He also wrote many letters.
He died in 651 at Saragossa and was buried in the church of Nuestra Senora Merced del Pilar.
He is the patron of Aragon
Saint Braulio
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »

Thank you for introducing me to St. Braulio of Saragossa odhiambo!

I looked him up some more and found he encouraged St. Isidore of Seville to write his etymologies! Cheesy

And that it's said his eyesight became extremely poor when he aged and this was a bitter cross for him as he was unable to continue his studies.

St. Isidore, St. Emilian, St. Braulio, pray for us!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »

Thank you for introducing me to St. Braulio of Saragossa odhiambo!
I looked him up some more and found he encouraged St. Isidore of Seville to write his etymologies! Cheesy
And that it's said his eyesight became extremely poor when he aged and this was a bitter cross for him as he was unable to continue his studies.
The Will of God in our lives  crucifix

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »

I was just tidying up the etymologies the other day. Little piles of books I have out reading tend to gather in stacks and eventually need to all be piled up back on the shelf.

Let's see what few snippets are in here.

"Ichthyophagi, 'fish-eaters', are named because they fare well by hunting in the sea, and are nourished by fish alone. They hold the mountainous regions behind the Indus. When Alexander the Great subjugated them, he forbade them to eat fish."

"Kings are named 'reges' from 'regendo', ruling, just as a priest is called 'sacerdos' from 'sacrificando', making holy. One who does not correct, 'corrigit', does not rule, 'regit'. The name king, 'rex', is held by doing rightly, 'recte', as it is lost by erring. Whence there was a proverb among the ancients: 'Rex eris, si recte facias: si non facias, non eris.' (You will be king, if you behave correctly, if not, you will not be.)

There are two outstanding regal virtues: justice and piety. Piety is more lauded in kings, for justice in itself is stern.

Consules are named 'consules' from 'consulendo', deliberating, just as kings are named 'reges' from ruling, 'regendo', and laws are named 'leges' from 'legendo.' When the Romans could not endure the proud domination of kings, they created yearly magistracies and two consuls.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:52:31 PM by Shin » Logged

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:06 AM »

I was just tidying up the etymologies the other day. Little piles of books I have out reading tend to gather in stacks and eventually need to all be piled up back on the shelf.

"Ichthyophagi, 'fish-eaters', are named because they fare well by hunting in the sea, and are nourished by fish alone. They hold the mountainous regions behind the Indus. When Alexander the Great subjugated them, he forbade them to eat fish."

Well, all I can say is that the "Ichthyophagi' or  'fish-eaters', whoever they were, must have been very clever people. Here in Kenya, those who live by the lake side-Lake Victoria, that is, they are fish-eaters though not exclusively of course, and they are known to be clever people, many of them are in academics as opposed to other fields. It is told that the head of the fish is it, that is the part you have to eat if you want to be clever. Grin
I never touch the head, and am not too fond of fish because I fear the bones.  Wink

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2012, 03:20:07 AM »

".... just as a priest is called 'sacerdos' from 'sacrificando', making holy.
I thought it was because they "offer sacrifice" to God?

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »

March 27
Today is the Memorial of
Saint Augusta of Treviso
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »

Saint Augusta of Treviso
Virgin Martyr.

Augusta was the daughter of the duke of Friuli in Italy.
 He was reportedly so infuriated by Augusta’s conversion to Christianity that he beheaded her himself.
Her shrine is near Treviso in northern Italy.
Saint Augusta
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »

".... just as a priest is called 'sacerdos' from 'sacrificando', making holy.
I thought it was because they "offer sacrifice" to God?

That would be my thought too! That is the purpose of the priesthood!

And looking it up sacrificando means sacrifice.  crucifix

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »

Well, all I can say is that the "Ichthyophagi' or  'fish-eaters', whoever they were, must have been very clever people. Here in Kenya, those who live by the lake side-Lake Victoria, that is, they are fish-eaters though not exclusively of course, and they are known to be clever people, many of them are in academics as opposed to other fields. It is told that the head of the fish is it, that is the part you have to eat if you want to be clever. Grin
I never touch the head, and am not too fond of fish because I fear the bones.  Wink

That reminds me of thy 'why are fish so smart' riddle! Cheesy

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2012, 04:39:15 PM »

That reminds me of thy 'why are fish so smart' riddle! Cheesy

Are they so smart?
 How come they get hooked and end up on a dish? Grin
Anyway, why are they "so smart" then?  Grin

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »

Haha, there are two good answers and you already half have one of them!  fishie fishie fishie

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »

March 28
One of the Saints we remember today is
Saint Guntramnus

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 92 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 « previous next »
Jump to: