Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:36:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 92 Print
Author Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2  (Read 566971 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 09, 2012, 03:49:23 AM »

Saint Benignus
Bishop of Ireland
He is also known as Benen.

When Saint Patrick went to Ireland in 407, he was welcomed by a man named Sechnan, a chief in County Meath. Saint Patrick converted not just his host, but the whole family to Christianity. The Chief had a young son, Benignus. He was very attached to Saint Patrick and later became his disciple and companion, and still later, his confidant and right hand man. Benignus was a noted choral singer, gifted with a sonorous voice that earned him the title of Patrick’s psalm-singer. He was put in charge of liturgical music.
Benignus reportedly was head of a monastery that was built by Saint Patrick at Drumlease for about 20 years.
In time, he succeeded Saint Patrick as chief bishop of Ireland. One of the first native Bishops of the country, the saint is credited with evangelizing Clare, Kerry, and Connaught.
We do not know when Saint Benignus was born nor when he died, but it is believed that he died sometime after Saint Patrick, i.e arount the year 467.
His canonization was Pre-Congregation
Saint Benignus,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 09, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »

Yes, they would still love you but I doubt you would be given the honor of naming your grand kids  Grin

rotfl rotfl blue happy roll

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 10, 2012, 07:40:05 AM »

November 10
Today is the Memorial of
Saint Andrew Avellino
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 10, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »

Saint Andrew Avellino
Andrew was born in 1521 at Castronuovo, Sicily. He was baptized Lorenzo but his mother called him Lancelatto or Lancelot.
He studied civil as well as canon law in Venice and in Naples. He received his doctorate and was ordained at the age of 26. He served for a time as a canon lawyer in Naples until one day, he reportedly lied in court. The realization that he was capable of lying in order to win a legal argument jolted him. He gave up the legal profession, turning to pastoral work instead.
He was commissioned by the archbishop of Naples to reform a lax convent, Sant’Arcangelo convent in Baiano. He was attacked and almost killed by a group of men who opposed his reforms. He was taken to the Theatine monastery to recuperate.
Andrew joined the Theatines Order in Naples, taking the name Andrew. He eventually became the superior of the Naples house and was known for his efforts to reform the clergy.
In 1570, Andrew was sent to Lombardy at the request of Saint Charles Borromeo.
He founded Theatine monasteries at Milan and Piacenza and was most successful in reforming the area in spite of great resistance.
Andrew returned to Naples in 1582 and spent the rest of his life ministering to the spiritual needs of the people and combating Protestantism. He is credited with many miracles.
Saint Andrew died of a stroke on 10 November 1608 at Naples, Italy. He was buried at the Church of Saint Paul in Naples.
He was beatified on 10 June 1625 by Pope Urban VIII and canonized on 22 May 1712 by Pope Clement XI.
He is invoked against sudden death.
Saint Andrew Avellino,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: November 10, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »

A friend of St. Charles Borromeo! Two saints of note!

I read that the house he reformed was of "such lax discipline it had became a topic of gossip in the city. Through good example, constant work, and the backing of his bishop Lorenzo managed to restore celibate discipline to the house, but was nearly killed for his efforts when he was attacked by people who had been ordered off the premises. The night of the attack, he was taken to the house of the Theatine Clerks Regular. He was so impressed with them that he joined the Theatines at age 35, taking the name Andrew in reference to the crucified Apostle. " (PSI)

St. Andrew Avellino, pray for us!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 11, 2012, 05:57:29 AM »

A friend of St. Charles Borromeo! Two saints of note!

I read that the house he reformed was of "such lax discipline it had became a topic of gossip in the city. Through good example, constant work, and the backing of his bishop Lorenzo managed to restore celibate discipline to the house, but was nearly killed for his efforts when he was attacked by people who had been ordered off the premises. The night of the attack, he was taken to the house of the Theatine Clerks Regular. He was so impressed with them that he joined the Theatines at age 35, taking the name Andrew in reference to the crucified Apostle. " (PSI)

St. Andrew Avellino, pray for us!

Throughout the ages, God has given to the world really good, saintly people. Sometimes we do not realize this until it is far too late  and so we fail to benefit from their proximity to us.  Sad

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 11, 2012, 06:01:31 AM »

November 11
Today is the Memorial of
Saint Menas Kallikelados
Among many other Saints.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 11, 2012, 06:04:10 AM »

Saint Menas Kallikelados
Martyr.

He is also known as Menas of Egypt, Menas of Constantinople, Mennas and other akas.
According to legend, Menas was born in Egypt some time in the 3rd century. He may have been a camel driver earlier in life but he later became a soldier in the Roman army. When Emperor Diocletian’s persecution of Christians began, he fled from his post at Cotyaeum in Phrygia to the mountains. He lived there as a recluse, a hermit. During a pagan festival at the Cotyaeum amphitheatre, Menas left his hiding place on the mountains and came down to proclaim his faith and preach Christianity. He was at once captured and tried before the Roman prefect Pyrrhus. He was scourged, tortured and beheaded for his faith.
His remains were brought back to Egypt where he was buried.
Miracles were reported at his tomb. A shrine built over his tomb at Mareotis
near Alexandria, became a great pilgrimage center. According to SQPN, it was called the glory of the Libyan desert.
He was canonized Pre-Congregation
Saint Menas Kallikelados,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 12, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »

November 12

Today is the Memorial of
Saint Livinus
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: November 12, 2012, 02:58:30 AM »

Saint Livinus
Martyr.

He is also known as Apostle of Flanders and Lebwin.
Livinus was born in Britain on an unknown date. He was the son of a Scottish nobleman and an Irish princess. He was baptized and ordained by Saint Augustine of Canterbury. He became a bishop. He and three companions went to Flanders, Belgium, as missionaries and preached in Brabant. He was beheaded on 12 November 633 near Alost, Brabant, Belgium by a group of pagans who were opposed to his missionary work.
In liturgical art, Saint Livinus is represented as a bishop holding his tongue with a pair of tongs or a bishop with his tongue being torn out.
Saint Livinus,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: November 12, 2012, 11:08:29 AM »

Scotland and Ireland! Two fine places!

St. Augustine certainly was a saint who formed saints!

St. Livinus pray for us!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: November 12, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »

Saint Menas Kallikelados
Martyr.

He is also known as Menas of Egypt, Menas of Constantinople, Mennas and other akas.
According to legend, Menas was born in Egypt some time in the 3rd century. He may have been a camel driver earlier in life but he later became a soldier in the Roman army. When Emperor Diocletian’s persecution of Christians began, he fled from his post at Cotyaeum in Phrygia to the mountains. He lived there as a recluse, a hermit. During a pagan festival at the Cotyaeum amphitheatre, Menas left his hiding place on the mountains and came down to proclaim his faith and preach Christianity. He was at once captured and tried before the Roman prefect Pyrrhus. He was scourged, tortured and beheaded for his faith.
His remains were brought back to Egypt where he was buried.
Miracles were reported at his tomb. A shrine built over his tomb at Mareotis
near Alexandria, became a great pilgrimage center. According to SQPN, it was called the glory of the Libyan desert.
Saint Menas Kallikelados,
Pray for us!

A happy death for a hermit! To gain the crown of martyrdom! St. Menas, pray for us!

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 13, 2012, 04:42:22 AM »

November 13
Today is the Memorial of
Saint Brice
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 13, 2012, 04:45:36 AM »

Saint Brice, aka Britius or Brixius
Bishop of Tours.

Brice was an orphan raised by Saint Martin of Tours at Marmoutier. Despite the piety of those caring for him, Brice turned out to be a wild and wicked man, proud and ungrateful, holding his benefactor, Saint Martin of Tours in utter contempt. According to SQPN, he was so disorderly that some people thought he was possessed by a demon! Despite his ‘not so Christian’ character, Brice was ordained a priest, a vain and overly ambitious priest. Despite his negative attitude, Martin was very patient with him. From SQPN, “Many advised Martin to kick him out, but Saint Martin said that if Jesus could deal with Judas, he could deal with Brice.”
In time, he reportedly felt remorse and asked Martin to forgive him for his behavior. In 397, when Martin died, Brice became Bishop of Tours. Unfortunately he reverted to his old ways. He neglected his duties, was accused severally of being lax and immoral. Though cleared later of the charge of immorality, Brice was exiled from his See. He went to Rome and spent seven years there in repentance and penance. He changed his lifestyle completely. When the one who was administering his See died, Brice returned to Tours. He ruled with such humility, holiness, and ability that he was venerated as a saint at the time of his death in 444 at Tours, France .
Saint Brice,
Pray for us!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 13, 2012, 05:18:06 AM »

Saint Andrew Avellino
Andrew was born in 1521 at Castronuovo, Sicily. He was baptized Lorenzo but his mother called him Lancelatto or Lancelot.
He studied civil as well as canon law in Venice and in Naples. He received his doctorate and was ordained at the age of 26. He served for a time as a canon lawyer in Naples until one day, he reportedly lied in court. The realization that he was capable of lying in order to win a legal argument jolted him. He gave up the legal profession, turning to pastoral work instead.
He was commissioned by the archbishop of Naples to reform a lax convent, Sant’Arcangelo convent in Baiano. He was attacked and almost killed by a group of men who opposed his reforms. He was taken to the Theatine monastery to recuperate.
Andrew joined the Theatines Order in Naples, taking the name Andrew. He eventually became the superior of the Naples house and was known for his efforts to reform the clergy.
In 1570, Andrew was sent to Lombardy at the request of Saint Charles Borromeo.
He founded Theatine monasteries at Milan and Piacenza and was most successful in reforming the area in spite of great resistance.
Andrew returned to Naples in 1582 and spent the rest of his life ministering to the spiritual needs of the people and combating Protestantism. He is credited with many miracles.
Saint Andrew died of a stroke on 10 November 1608 at Naples, Italy. He was buried at the Church of Saint Paul in Naples.
He was beatified on 10 June 1625 by Pope Urban VIII and canonized on 22 May 1712 by Pope Clement XI.
He is invoked against sudden death.
Saint Andrew Avellino,
Pray for us!

Shin, my prayer book has a number of prayers by Lancelot Andrews.
Could it be the same saint. On line there are prayers also but from Lancelot Andrewes which looks like Eastern Orthodox. Can you shade some light? Is it the same saint?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:05:37 AM by odhiambo » Logged

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:46 AM »

November 14
Today is the Memorial of
Saint Lawrence O’Toole
Among many other Saints

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 92 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Saint of the day and Feast days - Part 2 « previous next »
Jump to: