Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 11:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 194 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 762817 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1020 on: May 18, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »

'Until you have eradicated evil, do not obey your heart; for it will seek more of what it already contains within itself.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: May 19, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »

'There is not a finer thing on earth, than to make a virtue of necessity.'

St. Philip Neri

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1022 on: May 19, 2013, 09:32:48 PM »

' . . . Abba Isidore said, 'It is the wisdom of the saints to recognize the will of God. Indeed, in obeying the truth, man surpasses everything else, for he is the image and likeness of God. Of all evil suggestions, the most terrible is that of following one's own heart, that is to say, one's own thought, and not the law of God. A man who does this will be afflicted later on, because he has not recognized the mystery, and he has not found the way of the saints in order to work in it. For now is the time to labour for the Lord, for salvation is found in the day of affliction: for it is written: "By your endurance you will gain your lives."' (Luke 21.19)

- The Sayings of the Desert Fathers

crucifix

Paul

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 20, 2013, 08:20:01 AM »

"We must not believe or follow the false maxims of the world or think, speak or act like people of the world. Their doctrine is as opposed to that of incarnate Wisdom as darkness is to light, and death to life. Look closely at their opinions and their words: they think and speak disparagingly of all the great truths of our religion. True, they do not tell brazen lies, but they cover their falsehood with an appearance of truth; they do not think they are being untruthful, but they lie nonetheless. In general, they do not teach sin openly, but they speak of it as if it were virtuous, or blameless, or a matter of indifference and of little consequence. This guile which the devil has taught the world in order to conceal the heinousness of sin and falsehood is the wickedness spoken of by St. John when he wrote, "The whole world lies in the power of evil" (1 Jn 5.19) and now more than ever before.

We must flee as much as possible from the company of others, not only from that of worldly people, which is harmful and dangerous, but even from that of religious people when our association with them would be useless and a waste of time. Whoever wishes to become wise and perfect must put into practice these three golden counsels which eternal Wisdom gave to St. Arsenius, "Flee, hide, be silent." Flee as much as possible the company of men, as the greatest saints have done. Let your life be hidden with Christ in God. (Col 3.3) In short, be silent with others, so as to converse with divine Wisdom. "He who knows how to keep silent is a wise man." (Sir 20.5)"

St. Louis de Montfort
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:39 AM »

rue, they do not tell brazen lies, but they cover their falsehood with an appearance of truth; they do not think they are being untruthful, but they lie nonetheless. In general, they do not teach sin openly, but they speak of it as if it were virtuous, or blameless, or a matter of indifference and of little consequence. This guile which the devil has taught the world in order to conceal the heinousness of sin and falsehood is the wickedness spoken of by St. John when he wrote, "The whole world lies in the power of evil" (1 Jn 5.19) and now more than ever before.

A very good quote! I am glad to see it. It reminds me of Julian the Apostate again, whom was so horrible one hesitates even to speak of him -- that diabolical type of the Antichrist -- he had a honeyed tongue, he could sound like a most "reasonable" politician from these times, and pretended for a time to be a Christian, then after this, he pretended to be fair minded at times in regards to treating Christians compared to other religions -- but in fact used selective enforcement of the law to attack the Christians and promote paganism.

Everything he did one can see today again. For example, he envied how the Christians gave alms and took care of in hospices the sick and fed the hungry, because this caused Christianity to spread and he saw he must do the same to fight it. So he took government monies and gave them to the pagan leaders to distribute in the same way, so as to gain followers.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1025 on: May 21, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »

'The desire for peace is certainly harbored in every breast, and there is no one who does not ardently invoke it. But to want peace without God is an absurdity, seeing that where God is absent thence too justice flies, and when justice is taken away it is vain to cherish the hope of peace. "Peace is the work of justice" (Is. xxii., 17).

There are many, We are well aware, who, in their yearning for peace, that is for the tranquillity of order, band themselves into societies and parties, which they style parties of order. Hope and labor lost. For there is but one party of order capable of restoring peace in the midst of all this turmoil, and that is the party of God.

It is this party, therefore, that we must advance, and to it attract as many as possible, if we are really urged by the love of peace.'

Pope St. Pius X

Peace is the tranquility of order. There's deep meaning there.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 22, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »

"Run, Jump, Make Noise, but do not SIN."
Saint John Bosco

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 22, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »

God never deserts a man, unless He is deserted by that man first. For even if a man shall have committed grievous sins once, twice, and a third time, God still looks for him, "so that he may be converted and live".
St. Caesarius of Arles

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1028 on: May 23, 2013, 01:59:40 AM »

'He who seeks the energies of the Spirit, before he has actively observed the commandments, is like someone who sells himself into slavery and who, as soon as he is bought, asks to be given his freedom while still keeping his purchase money.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1029 on: May 23, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »

'The practice of the presence of God is very efficacious in leading us to contempt of worldly things.'

St. Claude de la Colombiere

George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 23, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »

For the deiform soul to abandon the Creator and worship the body is an act of depravity. You were commanded to keep the body as a servant, not to be unnaturally enslaved to it's pleasures. Break the bonds of your friendship for the body and give it only what is absolutely necessary. Enclose your senses in the citadel of stillness so that they do not involve the intellect in their desires. The greatest weapons of someone striving to lead a life of inward stillness are self-control, love, prayer and spiritual reading. The intellect will go on looking for sensual pleasure until you subjugate the flesh and devote yourself to contemplation.
St. Thalassios the Libyan

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1031 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »

Stillness is beautiful isn't it?

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1032 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »

'I have noticed that when we are very careful to mortify and humble ourselves in everything, we sometimes become depressed and less ready to serve God. This is a temptation which we can conquer by thinking that God only asks these things of us through love. We should aim at humbling ourselves to please God as a good friend tries to please his friend, or a son his father. There must be no constraint but a holy liberty of spirit, for this liberty is one of the best signs of true love. It is only to do things which we know will please one whom we love.'

George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »

We are not drawn to God by iron chains, but by sweet attractions and holy inspirations.
St. Francis de Sales

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1034 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:59 PM »

Good afternoon George! Cheesy

'I know of no greater joy than to discover some weakness in myself that I did not realize before. I often taste this joy and shall always have it when God gives me his light when I am examining my conscience. I firmly believe, and in this I find joy, that God guides those who give themselves up to his leading and that he takes care of the least things that concern them.'

George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: May 24, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

Hi Shin, and a glorious afternoon it is, praying yours is as equally blessed.

I am curious , have you any information of Saint Rose Phillippine Duchesne, all I know is the native Americans called her "She who always prayed".

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1036 on: May 24, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »

'I carry in my heart a great fear of spoiling things wherever I shall be, and this because of the words I think I heard in the depths of my soul: You are destined to please Me, not so much by success as by bearing failure.'

St. Rose Philippine Duchesne

I don't know much about her beyond what you said, George. Perhaps someone else knows more?

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 194 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: