Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 299 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1239015 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1696 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:12 AM »

'What a beautiful thing it is to know that Jesus has preceded us down the avenues of suffering, and to know that we are pleasing to him and will gain from him an eternal reward.'

St. Gaspar del Bufalo

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1697 on: February 10, 2015, 03:55:26 AM »

'Be not without fear about sins forgiven.

Why does the Holy Ghost admonish us to be afraid of sin which has been already pardoned?

Because after the guilt is remitted the temporal penalties of sin still remain; and among them we must reckon the withdrawal of God's graces. Hence the saints never ceased to weep for their faults, though only venial, and even after they had been forgiven; for they always trembled lest their past transgressions should be punished by the subtraction of the graces necessary to obtain eternal life.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 10, 2015, 04:29:55 AM »

Then there are those sins that I just keep bringing up
Over and over again in confession... brick wall
What you said about instant gratification Shin,
..yep!
We shall all keep at it, and pray for Our Blessed Mother's intercession
And The mercy of Jesus's sacred heart. angry red sword fight sword fight angry red mad gunfighter : harp harp :principalities: cross prayer

Let nothing disturb you
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 10, 2015, 04:30:22 AM »

'Be not without fear about sins forgiven.

Why does the Holy Ghost admonish us to be afraid of sin which has been already pardoned?

Because after the guilt is remitted the temporal penalties of sin still remain; and among them we must reckon the withdrawal of God's graces. Hence the saints never ceased to weep for their faults, though only venial, and even after they had been forgiven; for they always trembled lest their past transgressions should be punished by the subtraction of the graces necessary to obtain eternal life.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Wow, what a quote!

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: February 10, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »

He [Lucifer] first approached the woman, and not the man, because he knew her to be by nature more frail and weak, and because in tempting her he would be more certain that it was not Christ whom he was encountering. Against her also he was more enraged ever since he had seen the sign in heaven and since the threat, which God had made in it against him.  On all these accounts his wrath was greater against Eve than against Adam.

Ven. Mary of Agreda

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 10, 2015, 07:21:11 AM »

"He [Lucifer] first approached the woman, and not the man, because he knew her to be by nature more frail and weak, and because in tempting her he would be more certain that it was not Christ whom he was encountering. Against her also he was more enraged ever since he had seen the sign in heaven and since the threat, which God had made in it against him.  On all these accounts his wrath was greater against Eve than against Adam."

Ven. Mary of Agreda

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 10, 2015, 07:27:06 AM »

"On the sixth day he formed and created Adam, as it were of the age of thirty-three years.  This was the age which Christ was to suffer death, and Adam in regard to his body was so like unto Christ, that scarcely any difference existed.  Also according to the soul of Adam was similar to Christ.  From Adam God formed Eve so similar to the Blessed Virgin , that she was like unto Her in personal appearance and figure."

Ven. Mary of Agreda

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1703 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:06 PM »

Fascinating! I had no idea.

And yes I know about that from my own experience whiterockdove! Hahaha!

A quote like that helps to stir oneself up against venial sins doesn't it?

At this time I am gathering quotes for a possible 'venial sins' page in the selections.

So more than one of that kind of quote is appearing to help us to rejuvenate our vigor against long term vices.

When one thinks of losing graces everytime one commits a venial sin, and how much the better life would be with more graces, it's a real added impetus to overcoming old habits isn't it?

The amount of grace and sanctifying grace is something that is less or more, it is not only, we have it, we don't have it. So there you have an additional goal after Confession.. to recover grace, and to go further.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 10, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »

"When it is all over you will not regret having suffered; rather you will regret having suffered so little, and suffered that little so badly."
--St. Sebastian Valfre

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 10, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »

"You will be consoled according to the greatness of your sorrow and affliction; the greater the suffering, the greater will be the reward.' 
--St. Mary Magdalen de'Pazzi

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 12, 2015, 07:30:28 AM »

"Let us not then be ashamed to confess the Crucified.
Be the Cross our seal made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in everything; over the bread we eat, and the cups we drink;
in our comings in, and goings out;
before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake;
when we are in the way and when we are still.
Great is that preservative;
 it is without price, for the poor's sake;
without toil, for the sick, since also its grace is from God.
It is the Sign of the faithful,
and the dread of evils;
for He has triumphed over them in it, having made a shew of them openly;
for when they see the Cross, they are reminded of the Crucified;
 they are afraid of Him, Who hath bruised the heads of the dragon.
Despise not the Seal, because of the freeness of the Gift;
 but for this rather honor thy Benefactor."

St. Cyril of Jerusalem.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 12, 2015, 04:23:49 PM »

In my distress I called upon the Lord and cried out to my God;     
                  From his temple he heard my voice and my cry reached his ears.     

The Second Book of Samuel Chapter 22 Verse 7
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1708 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:31 PM »

The answer to the cry is something to read!

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 15, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »

'Your reward in Heaven will make up completely for all your pain and suffering.'

St. John Bosco

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: February 15, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »

'The Church is the only one, the Roman Catholic! And if there were left upon earth but one Catholic, he would be the one, universal Church, the Catholic Church, the Church of Jesus Christ against which the gates of Hell shall never prevail.'

Ven. Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824)

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1711 on: February 16, 2015, 01:27:01 PM »

'Beginners in the service of God sometimes lose confidence when they fall into any fault. When you feel so unworthy a sentiment rising within you, you must lift your heart to God and consider that all your faults, compared with divine goodness, are less than a bit of oakum thrown into a sea of fire.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 299 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: