Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:42:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233186 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2384 on: April 08, 2017, 05:00:33 AM »

'Everything Christ did was done to keep us bound together and living at peace with one another. . . And so it was that Paul could have accused the Corinthians of many great crimes but he accused them of contentiousness before any other. He could have accused them of fornication, of pride, of taking their quarrels to the pagan courts, of banquets in the shrines of idols. He could have charged that the women did not veil their heads and that the men did. Over and above all this, he could have accused them of neglecting the poor, of the pride they took in their charismatic gifts, and in the matter of the resurrection of the body. But since, along with these, he could also find fault with them because of their dissensions and quarrels with one another, he passed over all the other crimes, and corrected their contentiousness first.'

St. John Chrysostom

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2385 on: April 10, 2017, 04:45:48 AM »

'Blessed the one who loves repentance that saves sinners and has not thought of doing ill, like someone ungrateful before God our Saviour.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2386 on: April 12, 2017, 05:58:03 AM »

'To die is to be separated from God, to be hardened in sin, to refuse to cleanse the soul by penitent confession. He is dead who has no faith in God, no love for his Maker. But he does not die who always fears God, keeps his conscience pure by frequent confession, and desires to be united to his Lord.'

The Lord, to St. Bridget of Sweden

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2387 on: April 13, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »

'Humility, which Christ recommended to us both by word and example, ought to include three conditions. First, we are to consider ourselves, in all sincerity, worthy of the contempt of men; secondly, to be glad that others should see what is imperfect in us and what might cause them to despise us; thirdly, when the Lord works any good in us or by our means, to conceal it, if possible, at the sight of our baseness, and if this cannot be done, to ascribe it to the Divine Mercy, and to the merits of others. Whoever shall attain to this humility, happy is he! And to him who shall not attain it, griefs will never be wanting.'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2388 on: April 15, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »

'The intellect freed from the passions forms conceptual images that are also passion-free, whether the body is asleep or awake.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2389 on: April 16, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »

'Brethren and fathers, because winter has passed and spring has arrived, we see creation flourishing again; the plants are flowering, the earth is growing green, the birds are singing and everything else is being renewed; and we take pleasure in all this and we glorify God the master craftsman who transforms and changes creation year by year, and it is reasonable to do so. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made [Rom. 1:20]. It is our duty not just to stay where we are, but to advance further and to examine carefully for ourselves the logic of creation. How? Because this renewal has winter as its cause. It would not have reached its prime had it not first undergone snows and rains and winds. And so it is with the soul; unless it is first snowed on by afflictions, troubles and difficulties, it will not flower, it will not fruit; but by enduring, it bears fruit and partakes in a blessing from God, as it is written: Ground that drinks up the rain falling on it repeatedly, and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is cultivated, partakes in a blessing from God [Heb. 6:7]. Therefore, brethren, let us also endure every affliction, every trouble, every trial which assails us both visibly and invisibly, the fast we are drawing out as we hunger and thirst and are otherwise made wretched, so that we may bear fruit and partake of God's blessing; and not only that, but that we may nourish and welcome Jesus as our guest. For just as we enjoy the sight of creation, so he too enjoys the hour of our souls.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2390 on: April 17, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »

'And I saw a great white throne, and one sitting upon it, from whose face the earth and heaven fled away, and there was no place found for them.'

Apocalypse 20:11

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2391 on: April 18, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »

'I understand that, each time we contemplate with desire and devotion the Host in which is hidden Christ's Eucharistic Body, we increase our merits in heaven and secure special joys to be ours later in the beatific vision of God.'

St. Gertrude the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2392 on: April 19, 2017, 06:02:28 AM »

'The best perfection is to do ordinary things in a perfect manner. Constant fidelity in little things is a great and heroic virtue.'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2393 on: April 20, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »

'The greater part of men will set no value on the blood of Christ, and will go on offending Him.'

St. Isidore of Seville

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2394 on: April 21, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »

'He who would become a great saint must labor that God alone may live in him. He will have attained this end when he performs all his actions for the love of God, in union with those of Christ, Who is our way, our truth, and our life. The heart of the true servant of God ought to be an altar whereon is daily offered the gold of charity, the incense of continual and humble prayer, and the myrrh of incessant mortification.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2395 on: April 22, 2017, 01:19:39 AM »

'Poverty, so much abhorred by the world, is a precious pearl, and in the sight of God contains all wealth.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2396 on: April 23, 2017, 06:56:37 AM »

'I say, God loves His creature with a perfection that cannot be understood, nor could it be even by an angelic intellect which would fail to comprehend even its slightest spark.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2397 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »

'Blessed is he who is not attached to anything transitory or corruptible.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2398 on: April 25, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »

'To seek to reconcile the faith with the modern spirit leads much further than people think, not only to the weakening of the faith, but to its total loss.'

Pope St. Pius X

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2399 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:27 AM »

'Spiritual poverty is complete dispassion; when the intellect has reached this state it abandons all worldly things.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: