Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 08, 2020, 12:05:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 764447 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3247 on: February 21, 2020, 06:43:19 AM »

'The benefits to be derived from spiritual reading do not merely consist in impressing on the memory the precepts set forth, but in opening the heart to them, that they may bear fruit.'

St. Louis de Blois

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3248 on: February 21, 2020, 09:34:34 AM »

'You were sincere and uncorrupted, and forgetful of injuries between one another. Every kind of faction and schism was abominable in your sight. You mourned over the transgressions of your neighbours: their deficiencies you deemed your own. You never grudged any act of kindness, being "ready to every good work." Adorned by a thoroughly virtuous and religious life, you did all things in the fear of God. The commandments and ordinances of the Lord were written upon the tablets of your hearts.'

Pope St. Clement I of Rome, 'Epistle to the Corinthians'

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3249 on: February 22, 2020, 01:51:18 AM »

'I do not desire to die soon, because in Heaven there is no suffering. I desire to live a long time because I yearn to suffer much for the love of my Spouse.'

St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3250 on: February 23, 2020, 07:19:09 AM »

'I was captured again and imprisoned in the basement of the tower. . . I was bound with a chain round my waist so that I was compelled to remain standing, and only a crust of bread was given me with a little water daily. After three days I fell asleep through weakness. As I slept it seemed to me that a great noise was made, and, awakening, I saw a beam of sunlight illuminating the whole tower. Then, as I raised my head to give thanks to God, I saw a Friar Minor, stigmatized in his feet, who disappeared when I tried to embrace him. Bending my head, I found myself shaven, just as you see me now. I knew for certain this Friar Minor was our Holy Father St. Francis. At last I perceived that it was the will of God that I should leave the world and serve him alone.'

St. John of Capistrano

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3251 on: February 24, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »

'How pure and stainless should be the heart on which is written the most holy name of Jesus!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3252 on: February 25, 2020, 10:24:47 AM »

'May the will of God be our food, our centre, our repose; therein we shall enjoy a peaceful sleep, which nothing can disturb.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3253 on: February 26, 2020, 09:17:47 AM »

'Prayer is to our soul what rain is to the soil. Fertilize the soil ever so richly, it will remain barren unless fed by frequent rains.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3254 on: February 27, 2020, 02:18:16 AM »

'Do not claim to have acquired virtue unless you have suffered affliction, for without affliction virtue has not been tested.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3255 on: February 28, 2020, 07:18:26 AM »

'The reason why sometimes you have asked and not received, is because you have asked amiss, either inconsistently, or lightly, or because you have asked for what was not good for you, or because you have ceased asking.'

St. Basil the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3256 on: February 29, 2020, 06:30:30 AM »

'Give me ten truly detached men, and I will convert the world with them.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3257 on: March 01, 2020, 07:14:30 AM »

'Frequently offer your will to God as a holocaust, and perfect contentment will be your reward. The more obedient you are, the more tranquil and indifferent you will be as to your employment. Holy obedience will be your true spouse, and you will love it in Jesus, that great King of obedient souls. Thus you will render yourselves more capable to serve the Church and our Congregation by means of your prayers. Jesus answers the prayer of obedient souls.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3258 on: March 01, 2020, 07:14:58 PM »

'Every blessing comes from the Lord providentially. But this fact escapes the notice of the ungrateful and the idle.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3259 on: March 02, 2020, 05:50:29 AM »

'There is no need to prove the existence of Hell. Our Lord Himself speaks of it when He relates the history of the wicked rich man who cried out, "Lazarus! Lazarus!" We know very well that there is a Hell, but we live as if there were not; we sell our souls for a few pieces of money. We put off our conversion till the hour of death; but who can assure us that we shall have time or strength at that formidable moment, which has been feared by all the saints -- when Hell will gather itself up for a last assault upon us, seeing that it is the decisive moment? There are many people who lost the faith, and never see Hell till they enter it. The Sacraments are administered to them; but ask them if they have committed such a sin, and they will answer you, "Oh! settle that as you please."'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3260 on: March 03, 2020, 05:06:04 AM »

'In order to enrich us with true riches, Jesus Christ chose to be a poor man, as the Apostle writes, For your sakes He became poor, that by His poverty ye might become rich. He chose to be poor in order to teach us by his example to despise earthly blessings; and thus to enrich us with heavenly blessings, which are infinitely more precious, and which last forever. Wherefore he declared that whoever did not renounce every species of attachment to this earth could not be his true disciple.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3261 on: March 03, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »

'Every thought has its weight and measure in God's sight. For it is possible to think about the same thing either passionately or objectively.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3262 on: March 04, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »

'To deserve the name of a true religious, it is not only necessary to renounce the world, but still more to renounce one's self.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3263 on: March 04, 2020, 10:41:59 PM »

'It is not only necessary to consider what God's zeal requires in itself, but one must apply and use this zeal to the interests of his neighbor.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: