Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2020, 11:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 771633 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3298 on: April 02, 2020, 02:27:01 AM »

'Our actions disclose what goes on within us, just as its fruit makes known a tree otherwise unknown to us.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3299 on: April 03, 2020, 01:49:27 AM »

'A sinner cannot escape retribution except through repentance appropriate to his offence.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3300 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:56 AM »

'When the intellect practices the virtues correctly, it advances in moral understanding. When it practices contemplation, it advances in spiritual knowledge. The first leads the spiritual contestant to discriminate between virtue and vice; the second leads the participant to the inner qualities of incorporeal and corporeal things. Finally, the intellect is granted the grace of theology when, carried on wings of love beyond these two former stages, it is taken up into God and with the help of the Holy Spirit discerns - as far as this is possible for the human intellect - the qualities of God.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3301 on: April 06, 2020, 01:29:16 AM »

'One day the Lord caused me to hear these words at the foot of the tabernacle: "My son, he who embraces Me embraces thorns." Oh, what a grace! Oh, what a gift!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3302 on: April 07, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »

'Hold any man's salvation at greater value than all the treasures of the world.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3303 on: April 08, 2020, 01:37:31 AM »

'Let us go to the foot of the Cross, and there complain -- if we have the courage.'

St. Madeleine Sophie Barat

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3304 on: April 09, 2020, 02:06:33 AM »

'Brethren, says St. Paul, let the great business of your eternal salvation be the sole object of all your care.

It is the most important affair, because if the soul be lost, all is lost.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3305 on: April 09, 2020, 02:07:18 AM »

'There is where I study my sermon - at the foot of the crucifix.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3306 on: April 10, 2020, 06:35:42 AM »

'Begin in the morning, before leaving your room, by meditating, for a quarter of an hour, on the Passion of our Redeemer, and you will see that, all will go well with you, and that you will live far removed from sin.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3307 on: April 10, 2020, 09:02:21 PM »

'Jesus expires on the cross! He is dead that we may have life. All creation mourns: the sun darkens, the earth trembles, the rocks burst, and the veil of the temple is rent in twain; my heart alone remains harder than a rock!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3308 on: April 11, 2020, 01:06:56 AM »

'There is no surer or clearer proof of the love of God than adversity.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3309 on: April 12, 2020, 09:51:33 AM »

'Brethren and fathers, at Christ's resurrection creation too, putting away its winter gloom, like a deadness puts out fresh shoots and as it were comes to life again. And yes, we see the earth wearing green, the plants flourishing, the animals skipping around, the sea tamed and everything being changed for the better.

But I must explain why I have said this. If inanimate and irrational creatures are made radiant and lovely by the resplendent resurrection, how much more ought we, who have been honoured with reason and the image of God, make ourselves bright by our life and give off sweet fragrance by the spirit. For one who strives after virtue is truly the sweet fragrance of Christ, and the Apostle bears witness to this when he says, For we are the sweet fragrance of Christ for God among those who are being saved and those who are perishing, for the latter a scent of death leading to death, for the former an scent of life leading to life [2 Cor. 2,15-16].

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3310 on: April 13, 2020, 08:00:54 AM »

'Yes, I exhort, yes, I implore, my brothers, make my joy complete, as the Apostle again says, be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or vainglory; but in humility think of others as better than yourselves [Phil 2,2-3]. Let us secure our senses, sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, through them death enters. Let us bridle our mind not to be carried off to things it should not, not to step into the pitfall of unseemly things, not to picture to ourselves evil images nor to conceive sinful desires, from which we gain no profit or pleasure; on the contrary we are pained and crushed accomplishing nothing useful. There is one repose then and one pleasure, to cleanse the soul and to look towards dispassion. And let us not grow despondent when called to repose and the joy of dispassion, but let us hasten and press forward intently with diligence to right every defect; and God is our helper; for the Lord is near those who wait for him. And by living thus may we reach the kingdom of heaven in Christ Jesus our Lord, to whom be glory and might with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and ever and to the ages of ages. Amen.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3311 on: April 14, 2020, 01:02:23 AM »

'Repentance is the renewal of baptism. Repentance is a contract with God for a second life. A penitent is a buyer of humility. Repentance is constant distrust of bodily comfort. Repentance is self-condemning reflection, and carefree self-care. Repentance is the daughter of hope and the renunciation of despair. A penitent is an undisgraced convict. Repentance is reconciliation with the Lord by the practice of good deeds contrary to the sins. Repentance is purification of conscience. Repentance is the voluntary endurance of all afflictions. A penitent is the inflicter of his own punishments. Repentance is a mighty persecution of the stomach, and a striking of the soul into vigorous awareness.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3312 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »

'Blessed the one who keeps in mind the fire that came down on Mount Sinai and the sounds of the trumpets and Moses standing there with fear and trembling and who does not neglect his own salvation.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3313 on: April 16, 2020, 08:09:39 AM »

'In the Heart of Jesus be constantly recollected; it is not necessary that you should feel and taste the divine presence, but it is all-important that you keep yourself in that presence by pure faith, devoid of all self-satisfaction.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3314 on: April 17, 2020, 05:22:50 AM »

'As virtue and evil come and go, they dispose the soul either to goodness or to malice, prompting in it the corresponding thoughts.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: