Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 01, 2020, 03:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 210 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 803422 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3400 on: July 01, 2020, 03:16:28 AM »

'O virgins, know you this, that while you retain your Virginity you are ever accompanied with Angels. Not so is it with her who is married, and is joined in matrimony. Knowest thou not that the merit of the virgin is said to be one hundred, and the merit of the married woman thirty, and of the widow sixty? Seest thou by how much the virgin doth exceed the other estates? O virgins be wise to maintain yourselves as you are; flee the sight of man!'

St. Bernardine of Siena

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3401 on: July 02, 2020, 04:55:13 AM »

'Know that of all devotions the most pleasing to Mary is to have frequent recourse to her, asking for favors.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3402 on: July 03, 2020, 01:49:52 AM »

'Nothing is stronger than prayer in its action, nothing more effective in winning God's favor.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3403 on: July 04, 2020, 01:43:14 AM »

'According to St. Bonaventure, all the angels in heaven unceasingly call out to her: "Holy, holy, holy Mary, Virgin Mother of God." They greet her countless times each day with the angelic greeting, "Hail, Mary", while prostrating themselves before her, begging her as a favour to honour them with one of her requests. According to St. Augustine, even St. Michael, though prince of all the heavenly court, is the most eager of all the angels to honour her and lead others to honour her. At all times he awaits the privilege of going at her word to the aid of one of her servants.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3404 on: July 05, 2020, 01:40:19 AM »

'Would that I were all aflame with love! More than that: would that I could sing hymns of praise in the fire of love, and extol the marvellous mercies that uncreated love has bestowed on us! Is it not truly a duty to thank God for His gifts? Yes, doubtless, but I know not how. I wish to do so, and I know not how.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3405 on: July 06, 2020, 12:26:25 AM »

'It is as a general rule a bad sign when a man has not a particular feeling of devotion on the chief feasts of the year.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3406 on: July 06, 2020, 12:47:19 AM »

'We ought to employ ourselves in compassionating our loving Mother in Her grief over the sufferings of Her Son. In return, She will comfort and console us and at the hour of death, will show us Her sweet face and deliver us from all fear. She will take us under Her protecting mantle, and with the sword that transpierced Her most pure Heart, She will defend us against our enemy.'

St. Gabriel Possenti of the Sorrowful Mother

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3407 on: July 07, 2020, 01:42:32 AM »

'In order the better to gain souls, in visiting the sick, we ought to imagine that what we do for the sick man we are doing for Christ Himself; we shall thus perform this work of mercy with more love and greater spiritual profit.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3408 on: July 07, 2020, 03:02:18 AM »

'Beginners in the service of God sometimes lose confidence when they fall into any fault. When you feel so unworthy a sentiment rising within you, you must lift your heart to God and consider that all your faults, compared with divine goodness, are less than a bit of oakum thrown into a sea of fire.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3409 on: July 08, 2020, 04:09:31 AM »

'Think no more of what people say, but of pleasing the Heart of Jesus alone, according to the lights He will give you. He loves you and He will never allow you to perish, as long as you trust in Him.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3410 on: July 09, 2020, 06:58:43 AM »

'Jesus Christ is the true Friend of our hearts, for they are made for Him alone; therefore they can find neither rest, joy nor fullness of content save in Him -- so let us love Him with all our strength.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3411 on: July 10, 2020, 05:48:24 AM »

'Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfullness.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3412 on: July 11, 2020, 05:43:00 AM »

'The Holy Spirit is light and strength. He teaches us to distinguish between truth and falsehood, and between good and evil. Like glasses that magnify objects, the Holy Spirit shows us good and evil on a large scale. With the Holy Spirit we see everything in its true proportions; we see the greatness of the least actions done for God, and the greatness of the least faults. As a watchmaker with his glasses distinguishes the most minute wheels of a watch, so we, with the light of the Holy Spirit, distinguish all the details of our poor life. Then the smallest imperfections appear very great, the least sins inspire us with horror. That is the reason why the most Holy Virgin never sinned. The Holy Spirit made her understand the hideousness of sin; she shuddered with terror at the least fault.

Those who have the Holy Spirit cannot endure themselves, so well do they know their poor misery. The proud are those who have not the Holy Spirit.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3413 on: July 12, 2020, 03:40:30 AM »

'There is more security in self-denial, mortification, and other like virtues, than in an abundance of tears.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3414 on: July 13, 2020, 12:55:03 AM »

'See my children; the treasure of a Christian is not on the earth, it is in Heaven. Well, our thoughts ought to be where our treasure is. Man has a beautiful occupation, that of praying and loving. You pray, you love -- that is the happiness of man upon the earth. Prayer is nothing else than union with God. When our heart is pure and united to God, we feel within ourselves a joy, a sweetness that inebriates, a light that dazzles us. In this intimate union God and the soul are like two pieces of wax melted together; they cannot be separated. This union of God with His little creature is a most beautiful thing. It is a happiness that we cannot understand. . . God, in His goodness, has permitted us to speak to Him. Our prayer is an incense which He receives with extreme pleasure.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3415 on: July 14, 2020, 07:32:25 AM »

'If you purify your soul of attachment to and desire for things, you will understand them spiritually. If you deny your appetite for them, you will enjoy their truth, understanding what is certain in them.'

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3416 on: July 15, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »

'It is one of the most firmly established and most consoling of the truths that have been revealed to us that (apart from sin) nothing happens to us in life unless God wills it so. Wealth and poverty alike come from Him. If we fall ill, God is the cause of our illness; if we get well, our recovery is due to God. We owe our lives entirely to Him, and when death comes to put an end to life, His will be the hand that deals the blow.

But should we attribute it to God when we are unjustly persecuted? Yes, He is the only person you can charge with the wrong you suffer. He is not the cause of the sin the person commits by ill-treating you, but He is the cause of the suffering that person inflicts on you while sinning.

God did not inspire your enemy with the will to harm you, but He gave him the power to do so. If you receive a wound, do not doubt but that it is God Himself who has wounded you. If all living creatures were to league themselves against you, unless the Creator wished it and joined with them and gave them the strength and means to carry out their purpose, they would never succeed. You would have no power over me if it had not been given you from above, the Savior of the world said to Pilate. We can say the same to demons and men, to the brute beasts and to whatever exists -- You would not be able to disturb me or harm me as you do unless God had ordered it so. You are sent by Him you are given the power by Him to tempt me and to make me suffer. You would have no power over me if it had not been given you from above.

If from time to time we meditated seriously on this truth of our faith it would be enough to stifle all complaint in whatever loss or misfortune we suffer. What I have the Lord gave me, it has been taken away by Him. It is not a lawsuit or a thief that has ruined you or a certain person that has slandered you; if your child dies it is not by accident or wrong treatment, but because God, to whom all belongs, has not wished you to keep it longer.'

St. Claude de la Colombiere

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 210 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: