Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2021, 08:18:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 245 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 898874 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3808 on: August 11, 2021, 01:23:53 AM »

'In accordance with divine providence, the devil was not sent at once to the Gehenna assigned to him, but his sentence was postponed in order to let him test and try men's free will. In this way, he unintentionally fosters greater maturity and righteousness in the saints by promoting their patient endurance, and so is the cause of their greater glory; and, at the same time, through his malevolence and his scheming against the saints he justifies more fully his own punishment. In this way, too, sin becomes more utterly sinful, as St. Paul puts it. (cf. Rom. 7:13)'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3809 on: August 11, 2021, 01:24:10 PM »

'My children, St. Philomena has great power with God. Her virginity and generosity in embracing heroic martyrdom has rendered her so agreeable to God that He will never refuse anything that she asks for us.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3810 on: August 11, 2021, 01:25:10 PM »

Today is a feast day of St. Philomena. Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3811 on: August 12, 2021, 01:14:59 AM »

'A man who is carried away by his thoughts is blinded by them; and while he can see the actual working of sin, he cannot see its causes.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3812 on: August 13, 2021, 10:22:06 AM »

'A righteous person is a victim and his life a continual sacrifice. For love of Jesus, I will fight against my own desires even in the most insignificant matters.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3813 on: August 14, 2021, 12:32:28 AM »

'Blessed the one who loves truth continually and has not lent his mouth as an instrument of impiety by lying, for he fears the commandment about idle speech.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3814 on: August 15, 2021, 01:01:38 AM »

'First, discover by reflection whether you are occasionally or habitually negligent. Recollect whether the control of your heart is slipshod and haphazard.'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3815 on: August 16, 2021, 02:22:35 AM »

'I saw the snares that the enemy spreads out over the world and I said groaning, "What can get through from such snares?" Then I heard a voice saying to me, "Humility."'

St. Anthony of Egypt

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3816 on: August 17, 2021, 12:40:49 AM »

'The soul must of necessity -- if we would attain to the Divine union of God -- pass through the dark night of the mortification of the desires, and self-denial in all things.

The reason is that all the love we bestow on creatures is in the eyes of God mere darkness, and that while we are involved therein, the soul is incapable of being enlightened and possessed by the pure and simple light of God, unless we first cast it away.

Light hath no fellowship with darkness, for as St. John saith, "The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." [St. John 1:5]'

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3817 on: August 18, 2021, 01:04:33 AM »

'They who consider themselves gifted with knowledge are in the eyes of God most ignorant, 'professing themselves to be wise, they become fools.' [Rom. 1:22] They alone attain to the Divine Wisdom who, like children and ignorant ones, lay aside their own wisdom, and serve God in love. This is the wisdom to which the Apostle refers, saying, 'Let no man deceive himself; if any man among you seem to be wise in this world, let him become a fool that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.' [1 Cor. 3:18,19] Ignorance, therefore, and not knowledge, becomes that soul which strives after union with the Wisdom of God.

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3818 on: August 19, 2021, 12:05:19 AM »

'God commanded Moses to go up into Mount Sinai, He bade him go up alone; the children of Israel were to remain below, and even the cattle were not to feed in sight of the mountain. "Thou shalt stand with Me on the top of the mount. Let no man go up with thee, and let not any man be seen throughout all the mount: neither let the oxen nor the sheep feed over against it." [Ex. 34:2,3] He, therefore, that will go up into the mount of perfection and hold communion with God, must not only abandon everything, but restrain even his desires, the sheep and the cattle from feeding in sight of the mount — that is, upon anything which is not simply God, in Whom, in the estate of perfection, every desire must cease.'

St. John of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3819 on: August 20, 2021, 02:54:45 AM »

'Detachment grows from an experience and taste of the knowledge of God and from a meditation on the account to be rendered at death.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3820 on: August 22, 2021, 01:08:12 PM »

'When the messenger came to announce to Job that the Sabeans had plundered his goods and slain his children, he said: "The Lord gave and the Lord taketh away." He did not say: "The Lord hath given me my children and my possessions, and the Sabeans have taken them away." He realized that adversity had come upon him by the will of God. Therefore he added: "As it hath pleased the Lord, so is it done. Blessed be the name of the Lord." We must not therefore consider the afflictions that come upon us as happening by chance or solely from the malice of men; we should be convinced that what happens, happens by the will of God. Apropos of this it is related that two martyrs, Epictetus and Atho, being put to the torture by having their bodies raked with iron hooks and burnt with flaming torches, kept repeating: "Work thy will upon us, O Lord." Arrived at the place of execution, they exclaimed: "Eternal God, be thou blessed in that thy will has been entirely accomplished in us."'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3821 on: August 23, 2021, 09:59:36 PM »

'It is impossible, to the human mind, to comprehend that infinite, eternal, immense Being; all that we can understand of Him in this life is nothing in comparison to the reality.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3822 on: August 24, 2021, 12:35:57 AM »

'He who does not accept advice will never go by the straight path, but will always find himself among cliffs and gorges.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3823 on: August 25, 2021, 04:13:57 AM »

'The rich ought to reach that degree of perfection of possessing the riches of which they are the masters, with out allowing them to possess them.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 245 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: