Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 04, 2023, 05:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 272 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1078343 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4176 on: August 15, 2022, 01:33:11 AM »

'Why should we be attached to this world, where we can breathe only air poisoned by so many crimes?'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4177 on: August 16, 2022, 05:49:31 AM »

'Let us fancy we see hell, and imagine what is worst to behold - a horrible cavern full of black flames. Sulphur, devils, dragons, fire, swords, arrows, and innumerable damned who roar in despair. Imagine the worst you can, and then say, "All this is nothing compared to hell" . . . In that voracious subterranean cavern all the filth of the world is collected and inclosed, without exhalation or air, which must produce a most foetid pestilence. . . The sight is tormented by frightful devils; a holy religious saw at death two so monstrous and ugly devils, that he cried out that rather than see them again he would walk till the day of judgment on fire of sulphur and melted metal.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4178 on: August 18, 2022, 08:20:05 AM »

'O tender Mother, unutterable was thy grief in finding thyself deprived of thy dear Son, and then in beholding Him dead in thy arms!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4179 on: August 20, 2022, 12:02:58 AM »

'. . . you should know that there is present with you the angel whom God has appointed for each man. . . This angel, who is sleepless and cannot be deceived, is always present with you; he sees all things and is not hindered by darkness. You should know, too, that with him is God.'

St. Anthony of Egypt

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4180 on: August 21, 2022, 04:42:21 AM »

'Let us offer ourselves without delay and without reserve to Mary, and beg her to offer us herself to God.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4181 on: August 22, 2022, 03:25:19 AM »

'Nature and grace cannot subsist together in the same heart. The one must always make room for the other.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4182 on: August 23, 2022, 07:32:24 AM »

'If a man finds it very hard to forgive injuries, let him look at a crucifix, and think that Christ has shed all His Blood for him, and not only forgave his enemies, but prayed the Eternal Father to forgive them also. Let him remember also that when he says the Pater Noster every day, instead of asking pardon for his sins, he is calling down vengeance upon them.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4183 on: August 24, 2022, 05:46:39 PM »

'Blessed the one who in accordance with God's will loves self-mastery and has not been condemned, thanks to his stomach, as a pleasure seeker and defiled, for such a one will be magnified by the Lord.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4184 on: August 26, 2022, 02:13:57 AM »

'If it is your duty to give orders to your brethren, be mindful of your role and, when they contradict you, do not fail to tell them what is necessary. When they obey you, you will be rewarded because of their virtue; but when they disobey you, you will none the less forgive them, and will equally be rewarded by Him who said: 'Forgive and it shall be forgiven you' (cf. Matt. 6:14).

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4185 on: August 28, 2022, 06:28:05 AM »

'Vigilance is rendered necessary and indispensable, not only by the dangers that surround us, but by the delicacy, the extreme difficulty of the work we all have to engage in, the work of our salvation.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4186 on: August 29, 2022, 03:49:40 AM »

'God has no need of your money, but the poor have. You give it to the poor, and God receives it.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4187 on: August 30, 2022, 04:02:19 AM »

'I see clearly with the interior eye, that the sweet God loves with a pure love the creature that He has created, and has a hatred for nothing but sin, which is more opposed to Him than can be thought or imagined.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4188 on: September 01, 2022, 06:27:06 AM »

'Do not claim to have acquired virtue unless you have suffered affliction, for without affliction virtue has not been tested.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4189 on: September 03, 2022, 03:47:38 AM »

'The first time that I had these recollections with a vision, it seemed to me that I saw, on a sudden, Our Lord with a heavy cross on His shoulders, when He invited me to take a part in that precious treasure. This invitation was given by communication rather than by words. At that instant I felt a strong desire of sufferings, and it seemed that the Lord planted the cross in my heart, giving me to understand the value of suffering. This understanding I received in the following manner. It appeared as if all sorts of torments were represented to me, and, at the same moment, I saw them transformed into jewels and precious stones, all of which were made in the figure of the cross. During this time, I was given to know that God wished pure suffering in me; and then the vision disappeared. When I came to myself, I felt a violent pain in my head, which has never since left me, and so eager was my desire of suffering, that I would willingly have faced every torment that can be conceived. From that moment I have ever had in my mouth these words, "The cross and sufferings are jewels and joys.."'

St. Veronica Guiliani

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4190 on: September 04, 2022, 06:49:04 PM »

'Make great account of your precious trials, both interior and exterior; it is thus that the garden of Jesus is adorned with flowers, that is, with acts of virtue.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4191 on: September 05, 2022, 07:03:56 PM »

'There is more security in self-denial, mortification, and other like virtues, than in an abundance of tears.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 272 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: