Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:55:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 299 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1238916 times)
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 01, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »

The more you devote yourself to study of the sacred utterances, the richer will be your understanding of them, just as the more the soil is tilled, the richer the harvest.
Saint Isidore of Seville.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: August 02, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

A happy quote!

Odhiambo, you makes me think of St. Bernardine's quote on that subject. Cheesy

'Let us then not be ashamed to confess the Crucified. Be the cross our seal, made with boldness by our fingers on our brow and in everything; over the bread we eat and the cups we drink, in our comings and in goings out; before our sleep, when we lie down and when we awake; when we are traveling, and when we are at rest.'

St. Cyril of Jerusalem

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »

Thank you Patricia. I did not know that.
Isn't it amazing how each and every single day we learn something new.  Smiley
It is storage which is a problem for me.
facts learnt today leak out in no time at all  Smiley

Odhiambo, here is an excerpt from the autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret regarding this incident. He relates an incident where he was saved from drowning by the intercession of Our Lady and then relates the following incident:

Mary also saved me from a worse danger, not unlike that of the chaste patriarch, Joseph.
While I was in Barcelona, I used to visit a fellow townsman of mine from time to time. I never spoke
with anyone else in the house except him. When I arrived there, I would go straight to his room and talk
only with him, but the others in the house always saw me coming and going. I was fairly young then,
and although it's true that I had to buy my own clothes, I liked to dress--I won't say luxuriously--but with
a certain elegance, perhaps too much. Who knows? Maybe the Lord will take me to task for this on
judgment day. One day I went to the house and asked after my friend. The lady of the house, a young
woman, asked me to wait for him, as he was coming back soon. I had waited a little while when I
realized that her intentions were passionate, as her words and gestures made clear. I called out to the
Blessed Virgin and ran out of that house, never to return. I didn't tell anyone about what had happened,
for fear of ruining the lady's reputation.
73. God dealt me all these blows to wake me up and help me escape from the dangers of the
world.

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 02, 2012, 02:12:52 PM »

"You carry your snare everywhere and spread your nets in all places. You allege that you never invited others to sin. You did not indeed, by your words, but you have done so by your dress and your deportment....When you have made another sin in his heart, how can you be innocent? Tell me, whom does this world condemn? Whom do judges punish? Those who drink poison or those who prepare it and administer the fatal potion? You have prepared the abominable cup, you have given the death dealing drink, and you are more criminal than are those who poison the body; you murder not the body but the soul. And it is not to enemies you do this,nor are you urged on by any imaginary necessity, nor provoked by injury, but out of foolish vanity and pride."
St. John Chrysostom

George ( Haji )
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:31 AM »

Thank you Patricia. I did not know that.
Isn't it amazing how each and every single day we learn something new.  Smiley
It is storage which is a problem for me.
facts learnt today leak out in no time at all  Smiley

Odhiambo, here is an excerpt from the autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret regarding this incident. He relates an incident where he was saved from drowning by the intercession of Our Lady and then relates the following incident:

Mary also saved me from a worse danger, not unlike that of the chaste patriarch, Joseph.
While I was in Barcelona, I used to visit a fellow townsman of mine from time to time. I never spoke
with anyone else in the house except him. When I arrived there, I would go straight to his room and talk
only with him, but the others in the house always saw me coming and going. I was fairly young then,
and although it's true that I had to buy my own clothes, I liked to dress--I won't say luxuriously--but with
a certain elegance, perhaps too much. Who knows? Maybe the Lord will take me to task for this on
judgment day. One day I went to the house and asked after my friend. The lady of the house, a young
woman, asked me to wait for him, as he was coming back soon. I had waited a little while when I
realized that her intentions were passionate, as her words and gestures made clear. I called out to the
Blessed Virgin and ran out of that house, never to return. I didn't tell anyone about what had happened,
for fear of ruining the lady's reputation.
73. God dealt me all these blows to wake me up and help me escape from the dangers of the
world.

Thanks again Patricia.  thumbs up It is beautiful reading. How I wish the whole world was peopled with such as him, both men and women; what a beautiful world that would be!  Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 03, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »

Prayer is the place of refuge for every worry, a foundation for cheerfulness, a source of constant happiness, a protection against sadness.
St. John Chrysostom

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: August 03, 2012, 11:27:29 AM »

Prayer is the place of refuge for every worry, a foundation for cheerfulness, a source of constant happiness, a protection against sadness.
St. John Chrysostom

Amen!  Cheesy

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 03, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »

I don't know if I've posted this before, but I love this quote

Listen to the sermon preached to you by the flowers, the trees, the shrubs, the sky, and the whole world. Notice how they preach to you a sermon full of love, of praise of God, and how they invite you to glorify the sublimity of that sovereign artist who has given them being.
St. Paul of the Cross

George ( Haji )
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 03, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »

For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards heaven, it is a cry of recognition and love, embracing both trial and joy.
St. Teresa of Lisieux

George ( Haji )
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 04, 2012, 10:51:10 AM »

Beautiful quotes!!  Little Angel

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 05, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »

Beautiful quotes!!  Little Angel
Yes, they are, two hearts touched by the Spirit of God.

George ( Haji )
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2012, 09:20:47 PM »

'He who loves God lives the angelic life on earth, fasting and keeping vigils, praying and singing psalms and always thinking good of every man.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 06, 2012, 08:55:20 AM »

Consider all the past as nothing, and say, like David: Now I begin to love my God.
Saint Francis de Sales

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 06, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »

Ah... those quotes are refreshment to the soul, Beautiful.

Listen to the sermon preached to you by the flowers, the trees, the shrubs, the sky, and the whole world. Notice how they preach to you a sermon full of love, of praise of God, and how they invite you to glorify the sublimity of that sovereign artist who has given them being.
St. Paul of the Cross

I've had this sermon preached to me over the past several days while away in Donegal. The foxes, birds, rabbits, butterflies, the sea, the hills and the glorious sunsets. How great is our God.  flower angel bell

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
George
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 06, 2012, 07:54:18 PM »

Welcome home Martin

I bind myself today to the power in the love of the Seraphim, in the obedience of the Angels, in the ministration of the Archangels, in the hope of resurrection unto reward, in the prayers of the Patriarchs, in the predictions of the Prophets, in the preaching of the Apostles, in the faith of the confessors, in the purity of the holy Virgins, in the deeds of Righteous men.
St. Patrick of Ireland

George ( Haji )
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 07, 2012, 03:53:08 AM »

Ah... those quotes are refreshment to the soul, Beautiful.

St. Paul of the Cross

I've had this sermon preached to me over the past several days while away in Donegal. The foxes, birds, rabbits, butterflies, the sea, the hills and the glorious sunsets. How great is our God.  flower angel bell

How great indeed  crucifix
Good to see you posting again Martin.  Smiley

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 299 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: