Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2019, 12:02:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 182 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 706278 times)
MidnightSun12

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 21, 2012, 11:53:44 PM »

'It is better to pray devoutly for your neighbor than to rebuke him every time he sins.'

St. Mark the Ascetic
Absolutely!  There has to be a delicate balance between charitably correcting someone who has done something wrong and nagging them about it.  Praying for them is a great idea, however, and I am definitely going to try that next time I feel the urge to nag!  Cheesy
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 22, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »

There is still time for endurance, time for patience, time for healing, time for change. Have you slipped? Rise up. Have you sinned? Cease. Do not stand among sinners, but leap aside.
St Basil

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »

'One day, while I was hearing confessions, a man came to the confessional where I was. He was tall, handsome, dressed with some refinement and he was kind and polite. He started to confess his sins, which were of every kind: against God, against man and against the morals. All the sins were obnoxious! I was disoriented, in fact for all the sins that he told me, but I responded to him with God's Word, the example of the Church, and the morals of the Saints. But the enigmatic penitent answered me word for word, justifying his sins, always with extreme ability and politeness.  He excused all the sinful actions, making them sound quite normal and natural, even comprehensible on the human level.. He continued this way with the sins that were gruesome against God, Our Lady, the Saints, always using disrespectful round-about argumentation. He kept this up even with with the foulest of sins that could be conjured in the mind of a most sinful man.  The answers that he gave me with such skilled subtlety and malice surprised me. I wondered: who is he? What world does he come from? And I tried to look at him in order to read something on his face. At the same time I concentrated on every word he spoke, trying to discover any clue to his identity.. But suddenly; through a vivid, radiant and internal light I clearly recognized who he was. With a sound and imperial tone I told him: "Say long live Jesus, long live Mary!" As soon as I pronounced these sweet and powerful names, Satan instantly disappeared in a trickle of fire, leaving behind him an unbearable stench.'

St. Padre Pio

'The devil is in the cinema.'

St. Padre Pio

'A thousand years of enjoying human glory is not worth even an hour spent sweetly communing with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.'

St. Padre Pio

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
martin
Established

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you' save souls.

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 23, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »

'It is better to pray devoutly for your neighbor than to rebuke him every time he sins.'

St. Mark the Ascetic
Absolutely!  There has to be a delicate balance between charitably correcting someone who has done something wrong and nagging them about it.  Praying for them is a great idea, however, and I am definitely going to try that next time I feel the urge to nag!  Cheesy

I will mention this here as it seems so relevant.
On Wednesday past I had a long chat with an old friend. I went to his work place as I didn't know how else to contact him. I had heard that he had split with his wife and was in an adulterous relationship for almost a year.

It was also providential that he had a few hours to spare as work wasn't particularly pressing that day. As we chatted over many cups of coffee the conversation eventually came round to his current situation. He told me that he was now living in an "irregular union" with another woman. I mentioned that his choice of words might be an obstacle to him recognizing the truth of his current situation and that if he were to use the words "adulterous union" it would more accurately describe the relationship. He agreed that this term was more correct.

The next day I attended the TLM which we now have at our local parish each Thursday. Before Mass the priest made a short announcement. He started by relating what happened while he was offering the TLM privately a few days before. He had a situation in which he could not see a possible solution. During the elevation of the Host and the Chalice he said that he placed this intention with Our Lord. An hour after Mass, the phone rang in his room. The phone call revealed that the situation had been resolved.

He told us that we should never underestimate the power of the Holy Mass and he said that during Mass he would allow adequate time at the elevation of the Host and Chalice for all present to place their petitions, and he as priest, standing in persona Christi, would ask the Lord to accept our petitions.

At the elevation, I prayed that my friend would be granted the grace to end his adulterous relationship and return to the Lord.

Yesterday morning (Saturday) he turned up at my door around 9 am. He asked if he could talk privately so I suggested we take a drive to the country. He informed me that on Friday night while laying in bed, he suddenly had a realisation of the seriousness of his situation and a great fear came over him. He was still visibly shaking while he was telling me this. He said that he had ended the relationship there and then and left.
I realized that he was in no fit state to be left on his own. He said he felt shell-shocked and although he would never be returning to the adulterous relationship he didn't know where to go from hear. I stayed with him for about 6 or seven hours and eventually by talking of the mercy of God and relating stories from the saints, he calmed down enough to the extent where he had determined to spend the rest of the evening examining his conscience and to seek confession the next day.

I haven't heard from him today but I had told him to contact me anytime he needed a friend to talk to.

It was a mentally exhausting time, but spiritually I am elated and overcome with gratitude to Our Blessed Lord and the Blessed Virgin.
I pray now for perseverance for him through the coming days and weeks and pray also for reconciliation with his family. That will take a miracle but nothing is impossible for God.

Please dear friends, pray one Hail Mary for him, his family and the other woman involved.

"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
(Galatians 2:20)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 23, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »

I'll pray a Hail Mary for them, Martin.  God bless you.

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 23, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »

A Hail Mary for your friend!!  crucifix

'His mother saith to the servants: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye.'
~~~John 2:5
MidnightSun12

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 23, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »

Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amoung women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God,
pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

This story sounds a lot like how my personal conversion to the faith came about.  Maybe by sharing my story with you, it can help you with your current struggles:

I was a 24 year old guy and was, unfortunately, involved in an adulterous pre-marital relationship at the time.  I was out with some friends who were religious one evening (I was, at the time, a fallen away Catholic who had almost no relationship with God, whatsoever).  That night we were discussing some moral issues such as abortion, impurity etc and for the first time in my life it hit me like a brick wall.  I knew so clearly that what I was doing was extremely wrong and the fear I was experiencing was tremendous.  A few days later I came accross CAF and learned what the teachings of the Catholic Church was on fornication, etc...  It was after that when I felt God's love come over me and the fear and anxiety was replaced by a feeling of complete euphoria (it had to of been a sliver of what heaven must feel like for the saints).  I knew that I had to give myself fully to God and that this what exactly what love is (ie. the full giving of one's self to another).

The only problem was that I was still in the immoral relationship and I realize now that Satan doesn't let go of his victims without a big fight.  Shortly after, I gave into Satan out of a fear of going through a break-up and decided to try to ignore this profound realization that God had given me.  I wanted to go back to the way things were before even if it meant continuing to live immorally.  The feeling of peace went away and the anxiety quickly returned, except much worse then before (it was an indescribable burning sensation inside my chest that I couldn't get away from).  I couldn't sleep at night, couldn't concentrate at work, all the while I was trying to keep the immoral relationship alive (I'm convinced now that this burning was a sliver of what hell must feel like for the damned).  Fortunately for me, our Blessed Lord was infinite in His patience and after a month and a half of this suffering, the immoral relationship finally collapsed.  Instead of feeling devastated, I gave myself to God and that beautiful feeling came back and I decided to give myself to God fully and change my life!  Cheesy

My advice for you and your friend is to just keep doing what you are doing (be a patient and welcoming companion like the father was for the prodigal son).  If your friend gets pulled back into the adulterous relationship he might try to "forget" about the discussions that he had with you (he may even be angry at you for causing the percieved turmoil in his life).  Just remember that you are showing your friend true love as you are caring for his immortal soul rather then just his temporal comfort (even if that means that you have to be a source of discomfort in the short term).

God bless, my prayers are with you! Smiley
George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »

My Brothers
If anyone among you should stray from the truth and someone bring him back,
he should know that whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way
will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.
James 5: 19-20

A Hail Mary for your friend Martin.
God be with you.

George ( Haji )
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 24, 2012, 03:15:37 AM »

I will mention this here as it seems so relevant.
On Wednesday past I had a long chat with an old friend. I went to his work place as I didn't know how else to contact him. I had heard that he had split with his wife and was in an adulterous relationship for almost a year.

It was also providential that he had a few hours to spare as work wasn't particularly pressing that day. As we chatted over many cups of coffee the conversation eventually came round to his current situation. He told me that he was now living in an "irregular union" with another woman. I mentioned that his choice of words might be an obstacle to him recognizing the truth of his current situation and that if he were to use the words "adulterous union" it would more accurately describe the relationship. He agreed that this term was more correct.

The next day I attended the TLM which we now have at our local parish each Thursday. Before Mass the priest made a short announcement. He started by relating what happened while he was offering the TLM privately a few days before. He had a situation in which he could not see a possible solution. During the elevation of the Host and the Chalice he said that he placed this intention with Our Lord. An hour after Mass, the phone rang in his room. The phone call revealed that the situation had been resolved.

He told us that we should never underestimate the power of the Holy Mass and he said that during Mass he would allow adequate time at the elevation of the Host and Chalice for all present to place their petitions, and he as priest, standing in persona Christi, would ask the Lord to accept our petitions.

At the elevation, I prayed that my friend would be granted the grace to end his adulterous relationship and return to the Lord.

Yesterday morning (Saturday) he turned up at my door around 9 am. He asked if he could talk privately so I suggested we take a drive to the country. He informed me that on Friday night while laying in bed, he suddenly had a realisation of the seriousness of his situation and a great fear came over him. He was still visibly shaking while he was telling me this. He said that he had ended the relationship there and then and left.
I realized that he was in no fit state to be left on his own. He said he felt shell-shocked and although he would never be returning to the adulterous relationship he didn't know where to go from hear. I stayed with him for about 6 or seven hours and eventually by talking of the mercy of God and relating stories from the saints, he calmed down enough to the extent where he had determined to spend the rest of the evening examining his conscience and to seek confession the next day.

I haven't heard from him today but I had told him to contact me anytime he needed a friend to talk to.

It was a mentally exhausting time, but spiritually I am elated and overcome with gratitude to Our Blessed Lord and the Blessed Virgin.
I pray now for perseverance for him through the coming days and weeks and pray also for reconciliation with his family. That will take a miracle but nothing is impossible for God.

Please dear friends, pray one Hail Mary for him, his family and the other woman involved.

Thank you martin for telling us this wonderful miraculous occurances. It is just what we need to strenghten  us on this journey called life. crucifix

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:26:24 AM by odhiambo » Logged

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 24, 2012, 03:19:24 AM »

'One day, while I was hearing confessions, a man came to the confessional where I was. He was tall, handsome, dressed with some refinement and he was kind and polite. He started to confess his sins, which were of every kind: against God, against man and against the morals. All the sins were obnoxious! I was disoriented, in fact for all the sins that he told me, but I responded to him with God's Word, the example of the Church, and the morals of the Saints. But the enigmatic penitent answered me word for word, justifying his sins, always with extreme ability and politeness.  He excused all the sinful actions, making them sound quite normal and natural, even comprehensible on the human level.. He continued this way with the sins that were gruesome against God, Our Lady, the Saints, always using disrespectful round-about argumentation. He kept this up even with with the foulest of sins that could be conjured in the mind of a most sinful man.  The answers that he gave me with such skilled subtlety and malice surprised me. I wondered: who is he? What world does he come from? And I tried to look at him in order to read something on his face. At the same time I concentrated on every word he spoke, trying to discover any clue to his identity.. But suddenly; through a vivid, radiant and internal light I clearly recognized who he was. With a sound and imperial tone I told him: "Say long live Jesus, long live Mary!" As soon as I pronounced these sweet and powerful names, Satan instantly disappeared in a trickle of fire, leaving behind him an unbearable stench.'
St. Padre Pio

The Fiend!
LORD help us all!

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:43 AM »

'We let ourselves be overcome by human respect, and cease to show ourselves true followers of Our Lord before the world. . . We see truth trodden underfoot, and we remain silent. Why? Because we are cowards. Oh, how we need to renew our faith, to rekindle our hearts in the sublime principles of our holy religion.'

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 25, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »

Martin, though your friend was deep in mortal sin what was to his advantage, I think, was his humility to acknowledge his faults. God helped him by sending him a spiritual friend who would help him along the way to correction and a life change. How merciful is God! In this case I think you were an instrument in God's Hands to help this soul.

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 25, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »

"It is said that there is no salvation outside the Church. Who denies this? And therefore whatever things of the Church are had outside the Church do not avail unto salvation.
 St. Augustine

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: September 25, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

"It is said that there is no salvation outside the Church. Who denies this? And therefore whatever things of the Church are had outside the Church do not avail unto salvation.
 St. Augustine

A key quote! It reminds me of the difference between the baptized and the unbaptized, and also a quote by Ven. Mary of Agreda on how few please God and do good.

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 26, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »

'God takes particular care to detach those from the fleeting pleasures of this life whom He loves with a love of predilection, by the desires with which He inspires them for the heavenly life, and by the griefs and afflictions which He sends them in this life.'

`~`St. Ignatius of Loyola

sword fight

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »

We need to detach and reattach to Him.  Cheesy

Patricia
Established

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 26, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »

He sends  griefs and afflictions to those He loves and to help them detach. I need strength  to read this quote.  sweat drop A trifle scary!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 182 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: