Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233120 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #992 on: April 26, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »

'No single virtue by itself opens the door of our nature; but all the virtues must be linked together in the correct sequence.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Stella Matutina

My Jesus, mercy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #993 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:05 PM »

That is a brilliant quote, Shin!
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #994 on: April 26, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »

It's a beautiful though isn't it, all the virtues linked together in harmony?

I got to sit down by the shore yesterday while waiting for the doctor's office to open up, I just closed my eyes and listened to the waves most of the time, though it was quite pleasant to look out over the ocean.

Everything is quite ragged of course still the storm's effects are visible everywhere!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Stella Matutina

My Jesus, mercy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #995 on: April 26, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

Yes! Virtues are like plants in a garden - it is impossible to have a healthy garden if you are only growing one kind of plant. Your plants will quickly become infested with pests and blighted with disease. But if you are careful with your planting and are sure to include several varieties of complimentary flora, your garden will thrive, and bear much fruit.

Oh, there almost nothing more soothing than sitting by the ocean! I've never lived by the ocean, but I've always loved to visit the shore. I used to collect buckets of shells to take home when I was a child. But the sound of the waves have always been my favorite part of visiting the beach...that and the seagulls!

Did you just endure a storm where you are? I hope that there isn't too much damage!
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: April 26, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »

I'm living in New Jersey, about 35 minutes from the shore, I used to live right on it. So we still have the destroyed coast lines from the hurricane, and in fact, you can see destroyed buildings too, piles of broken wood and material.

There's nothing like the ocean. I will have to find a lake to visit at least when I move further away.

The healthy garden analogy is really a nice one for thinking on, a good one for meditation.  Grin Have you ever read St. Francis de Sale's 'Mystical Flora'? It's a book of extracts from his other works, all having to do with plants and the spiritual life.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #997 on: April 30, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »

'Blessed stillness gives birth to blessed children: self-control, love and pure prayer.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 01, 2013, 04:56:34 AM »

"O unfathomable depth!
O Deity eternal! O deep ocean!
What more could You give me than to give me Yourself?
 You are an ever-burning Fire;
You consume and are not consumed.
 By Your fire, You consume every trace of self-love in the soul.
You are a Fire which drives away all coldness and illumines minds with its light,
and with this light You have made known Your truth.
Truly this light is a sea which feeds the soul until it is all immersed in You,
 O peaceful Sea, eternal Trinity!
 The water of this sea is never turbid;
 it never causes fear, but gives knowledge of the truth.
This water is transparent and discloses hidden things;
and a living faith gives such abundance of light that the soul almost attains to certitude in what it believes."

-----St. Catherine of Siena

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #999 on: May 04, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »

It's like poetry isn't it?  Cheesy

'The vigor with which you resist the enemy will be the measure of the reward which will follow the combat.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1000 on: May 05, 2013, 03:13:47 AM »

I like thinking about the last quote it encourages me to put in more effort.  boxing  Grin

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1001 on: May 06, 2013, 04:30:38 AM »

'See; God forbids us that action, that criminal pleasure, that revenge, that injustice; no matter, we are bent upon satisfying ourselves; we had rather renounce the happiness of heaven, than deprive ourselves of a moment's pleasure, or give up a sinful habit, or change our life. What are we, then, that we dare thus to resist God? Dust and ashes, which He could annihilate with a single look.

By sin, my children, we despise the good God. We renew His Death and Passion; we do as much evil as all the Jews together did, in fastening Him to the Cross. Therefore, my children, if we were to ask those who work without necessity on Sunday: "What are you doing there" and they were to answer truly, they would say, "We are crucifying the good God." Ask the idle, the gluttonous, the immodest, what they do every day. If they answer you according to what they are really doing, they will say, "We are crucifying the good God."'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »

"The state of marriage is one that requires more virtue and constancy than any other… it is a perpetual exercise of mortification....."

Francis de Sales

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1003 on: May 08, 2013, 07:21:21 AM »

Well I believe it! Living with others for the rest of one's life, and all the cares that go with the family..

It reminds me of Christ speaking about marriage.  crucifix

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: May 08, 2013, 07:22:26 AM »

"As to why self-praise should not be sought, I answer: No one is good in himself, except for me alone, God, and anyone who is good is good through me alone. Therefore, if you who are nothing seek praise for yourself and not for me from whom comes every perfect gift, then your praise is false and you do me, your Creator, an injustice. As all the good things that you have come from me, so all praise should be given to me. And just as I, your God, bestow on you all worldly goods - strength, health, knowledge, and discernment for considering what is to your advantage, and time and life - so too I alone should be glorified in everything, that is, if you make good and rational use of the things given you. However, if you make bad use of them, then the fault is yours and the ingratitude is yours."

Christ, 'The Revelations of St. Bridget of Sweden'

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: May 08, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

"Consider seriously how quickly people change; hold fast to God, who does not change."
 St Theresa of Avila

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: May 11, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »

'Frankly, I do not think the favors which our Lord promises you, to consist in an abundance of temporal things; for He says that these often deprive us of His grace and of His love, whereas it is with these latter gifts that He wishes to enrich your soul.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

This reminds me of a sermon I heard once on prayer and how it is interior conversion that is so necessary to pray for, our spiritual improvement in virtues. . I wish I could remember more of it -- the priest compared how this is heard by God, and how in the case of temporal goods, it is not the same.

Which reminds me of another quote about how we were not meant for an abundance of superfluities here..

George
Prayerful
Established

Saint Joseph please pray for my children

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 12, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »

Fight all error, but do it with good humor, patience, kindness, and love. Harshness will damage your own soul and spoil the best cause.
St. John Kanty

George ( Haji )
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: