Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 299 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1239022 times)
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 17, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets."       

Christ declared these powerful words.     
                        The Gospel According to Saint Matthew Chapter 5 Verse 17
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 18, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »

'After the suggestion comes the pleasure. When a person is not careful to banish the temptation immediately, but stops to reason with it, the thought instantly begins to delight him, and give him pleasure, and thus draws the person on to give his consent to it. As long as the will withholds the consent, the sin is only venial, and not mortal. But if the soul does not then turn to God, and make an effort to resist the pleasure, it will easily go on to give its consent. "Unless," says St. Anselm, "a person repel the pleasure, it passes into consent, and kills the soul."'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

How very important it is to pray in times of temptation.  Immediately we should cry: Jesus!  Mary!  Jesus, have mercy, help me!  Mary intercede for me!

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 18, 2015, 08:44:49 PM »

Amen!

'There is nothing which is more profitable and more consoling to the mind than to frequently remember the Blessed Virgin.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

So true no?

Yes, for sure!!

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 20, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »

I form the light , and create the darkness,     
                     I make the well-being and create woe;       

The Book of Isaiah, Chapter 45 Verse 7   
                      A biblical footnote expressed: God permits evil for the sake of a greater good.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1716 on: February 20, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »

'I the Lord, and there is none other, that form light, and Create darkness, make peace, and Create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

Isaias 45:7
Original Doaui

'Formans lucem et creans tenebras, faciens pacem et creans malum: ego Dominus faciens omnia haec.'

Vulgate

The weak footnote doesn't really excuse such a weak translation of the passage. This is why we should go to the Vulgate and the original Douai.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 21, 2015, 05:36:27 AM »

'I the Lord, and there is none other, that form light, and Create darkness, make peace, and Create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

Isaias 45:7
Original Doaui

'Formans lucem et creans tenebras, faciens pacem et creans malum: ego Dominus faciens omnia haec.'

Vulgate

The weak footnote doesn't really excuse such a weak translation of the passage. This is why we should go to the Vulgate and the original Douai.

Can the original Douai be found online, Shin?  If so, I'd like to read it.  I have the newer Bishop Challoner version.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1718 on: February 21, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »

Yes the true and Original Douai is provided by Saints' Books for free download.

These are the original facsimile PDF files.

We have an ongoing project to provide it as an entire website in searchable text, rather than only as PDFs.  It's taking time and labor, been at it for over a year and a half now. When it is finished, God willing, it will be a searchable parallel Original Douai and Vulgate together. Thus the most literal English translation and the Vulgate to refer to as the source will finally be provided together.

Please pray for the project and the folks who work on it.

Folks who want to have printed hard or softcover versions, can get various versions of it through online-single print services elsewhere.

Nothing is sold through these websites, only donations are accepted.

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:16 AM »

Thanks, Shin!  I certainly will pray for the success of your project.  God bless you!

eschator83

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 21, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »

We add our prayers of gratitude and support for this wonderful project.
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1721 on: February 22, 2015, 02:02:28 PM »

Very glad to hear folks appreciate the work.

It certainly is a beautiful project. It is very hard, but a time will come when all we need are final proofreaders, God willing. Then it will become available for folks to easily read.

'Ascetic struggle - fasting, vigils, patience, forbearance - produces a clear conscience.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

odhiambo
Prayerful
Established

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 23, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »

Poor human reason, when it trusts in itself, substitutes the strangest absurdities for the highest divine concepts.

St. John Chrysostom

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Inspirational Quotes from the saints:
'If men but knew Thee, O my God!'
St. Ignatius of Loyola
“Late have I loved Thee,
 O Beauty ever ancient, ever new,
 late have I loved Thee!......”
St. Augustine of Hippo
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1723 on: February 23, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »

A quote that has much application today amongst those who think of themselves as apologists for the Catholic Faith.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 23, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »

Poor human reason, when it trusts in itself, substitutes the strangest absurdities for the highest divine concepts.

St. John Chrysostom

Reason must be enlightened by faith.  Reason and faith must work together, not one without the other.  Reason on its own without faith to enlighten it leads to rationalism, materialism, and a host of other bad -isms. 

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1725 on: February 23, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »

'It was necessary for man's salvation that there should be a knowledge revealed by God besides philosophical science built up by human reason. Firstly, indeed, because man is directed to God, as to an end that surpasses the grasp of his reason: "The eye hath not seen, O God, besides Thee, what things Thou hast prepared for them that wait for Thee" (Isaiah 64:4). But the end must first be known by men who are to direct their thoughts and actions to the end. Hence it was necessary for the salvation of man that certain truths which exceed human reason should be made known to him by divine revelation. Even as regards those truths about God which human reason could have discovered, it was necessary that man should be taught by a divine revelation; because the truth about God such as reason could discover, would only be known by a few, and that after a long time, and with the admixture of many errors. Whereas man's whole salvation, which is in God, depends upon the knowledge of this truth. Therefore, in order that the salvation of men might be brought about more fitly and more surely, it was necessary that they should be taught divine truths by divine revelation.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: February 23, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »

The centurion said, "For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject   
              to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes;     
              and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."   
             When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him and, turning, said to the crowd following   
             him, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith."
whiterockdove

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 24, 2015, 01:24:50 AM »

Amen, sister! cross prayer :principalities:

Let nothing disturb you
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 299 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: