Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233261 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1728 on: February 24, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »

'I too am a person subject to authority'.

In Matthew 27:54:

'And the Centurion and they that were with him watching JESUS, having seen the earthquake and the things that were done, were sore afraid, saying: Indeed this was the Son of God.'

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1729 on: February 24, 2015, 11:25:02 PM »

'It is a great favour which God grants to that soul that is in a state of grace to take it from this world, where, at any time, it may become changed, and may lose the friendship of God!'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'He was taken away lest wickedness should alter his understanding.'

Wisdom 4:2

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1730 on: February 27, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »

'I cannot but admire the goodness and liberality of the Sacred Heart towards you. Our Lord seems to take pleasure in unfolding all Its treasures for your benefit.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 28, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »

'What a grace, to be not only under the cross, but on the cross, and at least a little crucified with our Lord!  Have good courage, make a virtue of necessity, and lose not an opportunity of showing your love for God in the midst of tribulation, as He in the midst of thorns has shown His love for you.'

St. Francis de Sales

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
CyrilSebastian

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »

I see him, though not now;     
                   I behold him, though not now;     
                  A star shall advance from Jacob,       
                   and a staff shall rise from Israel,     

The Book of Numbers, Chapter 24 Verse 17
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1733 on: February 28, 2015, 07:32:18 PM »

Here is a challenging question for folks, what meanings do a staff and a rod have?

What are the deeper meanings behind each portion of Psalm 22?

Psalm 22

OUR Lord ruleth me, and nothing shall be wanting to me: in place of pasture there he hath placed me.
Upon the water of refection he hath brought me up: he hath converted my soul.
He hath conducted me upon the paths of justice, for his name.
For, although I shall walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will not fear evils: because thou art with me.
Thy rod and thy staff: they have comforted me.
Thou hast prepared in my sight a table, against them; that trouble me.
Thou hast fatted my head with oil: and my chalice inebriating how goodly is it!
And thy mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
And that I may dwell in the house of our Lord, in longitude of days.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 28, 2015, 08:11:33 PM »

Here is a challenging question for folks, what meanings do a staff and a rod have?

What are the deeper meanings behind each portion of Psalm 22?

Psalm 22

OUR Lord ruleth me, and nothing shall be wanting to me: in place of pasture there he hath placed me.
Upon the water of refection he hath brought me up: he hath converted my soul.
He hath conducted me upon the paths of justice, for his name.
For, although I shall walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will not fear evils: because thou art with me.
Thy rod and thy staff: they have comforted me.
Thou hast prepared in my sight a table, against them; that trouble me.
Thou hast fatted my head with oil: and my chalice inebriating how goodly is it!
And thy mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
And that I may dwell in the house of our Lord, in longitude of days.

It is my understanding that the rod and staff are what serve to direct and guide a sheep, the rod and staff being an instrument for guiding/directing, more than for hitting.  That arched part of the rod and staff is perfect for catching a sheep and redirecting it. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:29:01 PM by Therese » Logged

Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you (Matth. 6:33).
Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 28, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »

I'd like to read a good commentary on this passage.  I'll have to look for one.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 28, 2015, 08:26:44 PM »

I just read the Haydock Commentary and it does a good job explaining this Psalm.  I recommend that our SDF members refer to it.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1737 on: February 28, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »

It is my understanding that the rod and staff are what serve to direct and guide a sheep, the rod and staff being an instrument for guiding/directing, more than for hitting.  That arched part of the rod and staff is perfect for catching a sheep and redirecting it. 

And what is the difference between the rod and the staff do you think?

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 28, 2015, 09:10:53 PM »

And what is the difference between the rod and the staff do you think?

According to the Haydock commentary they can be one and the same thing.  It is my understanding that they are one and the same.

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1739 on: February 28, 2015, 09:28:34 PM »

According to the Haydock commentary they can be one and the same thing.  It is my understanding that they are one and the same.

Is that so? What exactly does it say?

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: February 28, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »

I'll cut and paste the relevant passage for you.

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 28, 2015, 09:39:57 PM »

According to the Haydock commentary they can be one and the same thing.  It is my understanding that they are one and the same.

"Ver. 4. Walk. In the greatest temptations, we may resist by God's grace. (Worthington) --- Midst. Hebrew, "in the valley." The greatest darkness, and the most horrible precipices, give no alarm to those who are under God's protection. --- Comforted me, as they have kept all enemies at a distance. The shepherd's staff or crook is designed for that purpose; and though it may be used to bring back the wandering sheep by beating them, yet it is not under that idea an object of consolation, but rather of terror. (Calmet) --- The effects of timely correction are, however, comfortable; and it is a great mercy of God to chastise the sinner, lest he should run astray to his eternal ruin. (Haydock) --- Some distinguish the rod from the staff, and say that the former is to punish, and the latter to support. (St. Jerome; Muis) --- We are generally too backward in having recourse to God in our distresses, though he invites us so pressingly, Isaias xli. 10, &c."

--Haydock Bible Commentary

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1742 on: February 28, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »

There we are, now I must say, saying they are one in the same seems wrong.

After all nothing in Holy Scripture is there to no purpose, and in the repetition different words are used.

Thy 'staff and thy staff'.. what is the point?

Therese

View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 28, 2015, 10:26:16 PM »

There we are, now I must say, saying they are one in the same seems wrong.

After all nothing in Holy Scripture is there to no purpose, and in the repetition different words are used.

Thy 'staff and thy staff'.. what is the point?

But as the commentary points out the rod is for the punishing and the staff is not.  One object can serve two purposes, thus the reference to two words.  The rod is for striking and the staff for comfort.  If you have a problem with this analysis, Shin, you should consult with a shepherd and ask him if both rod and staff refer to the same object.  I was told that they do.

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: