Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2017, 02:25:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 229862 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2363 on: March 17, 2017, 05:02:01 AM »

'The more the wicked abound, so much the more must we suffer with them in patience; for on the threshing floor few are the grains carried into the barns, but high are the piles of chaff burned with fire.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2364 on: March 17, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »

'And again after a few years I was in Britain with my people. who received me as their son, and sincerely besought me that now at last, having suffered so many hardships, I should not leave them and go elsewhere.

And there I saw in the night the vision of a man, whose name was Victoricus, coming as it were from Ireland, with countless letters. And he gave me one of them, and I read the opening words of the letter, which were, `The voice of the Irish'; and as I read the beginning of the letter I thought that at the same moment I heard their voice---they were those beside the Wood of Voclut, which is near the Western Sea---and thus did they cry out as with one mouth: `We ask thee, boy, come and walk among us once more.'

And I was quite broken in heart, and could read no further, and so I woke up.

Thanks be to God, after many years the Lord gave to them according to their cry.'

St. Patrick

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2365 on: March 18, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »

'As Jesus has shown me in the Blessed Sacrament a love of preference, I am ready to do every thing to respond to it, but the great virtue that He demands of Me is the renunciation of my own will.'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2366 on: March 19, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »

'One of the clearest proofs that we love God is to seek only His good pleasure, to desire God alone: Dilectus meus mihi et ego illi - "My Beloved to me, and I to Him " (Cant. ii. 16), and to do His will as soon as we know it.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2367 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »

'If you want spiritual health, listen to your conscience, do all it tells you, and you will benefit.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2368 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »

'You ought to forget yourself in God; let your spirit fall, as a drop of water, into that immense ocean of charity, to repose there and receive the divine communications, without losing sight of your nothingness. We learn all things in this divine solitude; we learn more things in this interior school by being silent than by talking. St. Mary Magdalen out of love fell at the feet of Jesus; there she was silent, she listened, she loved, she lost herself in love.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2369 on: March 22, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »

'Neither did I care to read newspapers, for I should prefer to read a chapter of the Holy Bible wherein I know for sure that what I read is true. In newspapers, as a general rule, one finds only a great deal of lies and useless reading.'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2370 on: March 23, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »

'Do not claim to have acquired virtue unless you have suffered affliction, for without affliction virtue has not been tested.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2371 on: March 25, 2017, 12:30:58 AM »

'What is meritorious is not that a man should be poor, but that, being poor, he should love poverty.'

St. Vincent Ferrer

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2372 on: March 26, 2017, 12:10:48 AM »

'The Lord is hidden in His own commandments, and He is to be found there in the measure that He is sought.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2373 on: March 27, 2017, 12:51:03 AM »

'Thou hatest all the workers of iniquity: Thou wilt destroy all that speak a lie. The bloody and the deceitful man the Lord will abhor. . .

For there is no truth in their mouth; their heart is vain.

Their throat is an open sepulchre: they dealt deceitfully with their tongues: judge them, O God. Let them fall from their devices: according to the multitude of their wickedness cast them out: for they have provoked thee, O Lord.'

Psalm 5:7,10-11

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2374 on: March 28, 2017, 01:36:14 AM »

'Prayer is, beyond doubt, the most powerful weapon the Lord gives us to conquer evil passions and temptations of the devil; but we must really put ourselves into our prayer: it is not enough just to say the words, it must come from the heart. And also prayer needs to be continuous, we must pray no matter what kind of situation we find ourselves in: the warfare we are engaged in is on-going, so our prayer must be on-going also.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2375 on: March 29, 2017, 12:06:20 AM »

'Resignation is all in all to the sick man; he ought to say to God, "Lord, if You want me, here I am, although I have never done any good: do with me what You will.'"

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2376 on: March 31, 2017, 01:07:02 AM »

'An unjust law is no law at all.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2377 on: April 01, 2017, 05:25:48 AM »

'Prayer must be humble: God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Here St. James tells us that God does not listen to the prayers of the proud, but resists them; while, on the other hand, he is always ready to hear the prayers of the humble: The prayer of the man that humbleth himself shall pierce the clouds, . . . and he will not depart till the Most High behold. The prayer of an humble soul at once penetrates the heavens and presents itself before the throne of God, and will not depart thence till God regards it and listens to it. However sinful such a soul may be, God can never despise a heart that repents of its sins, and humbles itself: A contrite and humbled heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2378 on: April 02, 2017, 02:10:59 AM »

'When the intellect prays without distraction it afflicts the heart; and "a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise" (Ps. 51:17).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2379 on: April 03, 2017, 12:41:05 AM »

'But I listen to the Apostle who says: "Preach the word; insist upon it, welcome and unwelcome." Welcome to whom? Unwelcome to whom? By all means welcome to those who desire it; unwelcome to those who do not. However unwelcome, I dare to say: "You wish to stray, you wish to be lost; but I do not want this." For the one whom I fear does not wish this. And should I wish it, consider his words of reproach: "The straying sheep you have not recalled; the lost sheep you have not sought." Shall I fear you rather than him? "Remember, we must all present ourselves before the judgment seat of Christ."'

St. Augustine

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: