Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 23, 2017, 07:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 199058 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2355 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:10 AM »

'If a man should have no one to instruct him, God will show him, unless he culpably wishes to remain where he is.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2356 on: March 11, 2017, 05:43:14 AM »

'it is not the intellect that understands, but the soul through the intellect'

St. Thomas Aquinas

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2357 on: March 11, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »

'Anselm.. If you should find yourself in the sight of God, and one said to you: "Look thither;" and God, on the other hand, should say: "It is not my will that you should look;" ask your own heart what there is in all existing things which would make it right for you to give that look contrary to the will of God.

Boso. I can find no motive which would make it right; unless, indeed I am so situated as to make it necessary for me either to do this, or some greater sin.

Anselm.. Put away all such necessity, and ask with regard to this sin only whether you can do it even for your own salvation.

Boso. I see plainly that I cannot.

Anselm.. Not to detain you too long; what if it were necessary either that the whole universe, except God himself, should perish and fall back into nothing, or else that you should do so small a thing against the will of God?

Boso. When I consider the action itself, it appears very slight; but when I view it as contrary to the will of God, I know of nothing so grievous, and of no loss that will compare with it; but sometimes we oppose anothers' will without blame in order to preserve his property, so that afterwards he is glad that we opposed him.

Anselm.. This is in the case of man, who often does not know what is useful for him, or cannot make up his loss; but God is in want of nothing, and, should all things perish, can restore them as easily as he created them.

Boso. I must confess that I ought not to oppose the will of God even to preserve the whole creation.

Anselm.. What if there were more worlds as full of beings as this?

Boso. Were they increased to an infinite extent, and held before me in like manner, my reply would be the same.

Anselm.. You cannot answer more correctly, but consider, also, should it happen that you gave the look contrary to God's will, what payment you can make for this sin?

Boso. I can only repeat what I said before.

Anselm.. So heinous is our sin whenever we knowingly oppose the will of God even in the slightest thing; since we are always in his sight, and he always enjoins it upon us not to sin.

Boso. I cannot deny it.'

St. Anselm of Canterbury, 'Cur Deus Homo'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2358 on: March 12, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »

'A good conscience is found through prayer, and pure prayer through the conscience. Each by nature needs the other.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2359 on: March 13, 2017, 05:25:23 AM »

'How are they of the Catholic Church, who have shaken off the Apostolical faith, and become authors of fresh evils?'

St. Athanasius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2360 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:13 AM »

'In what does the praise of God consist, if not in a lamentation of the soul that it can never praise Him as it desires? And the desires, devotion, prayer and good will that a soul has to do good, all this is a sorrowful lamentation, and when I come to supply for it Myself, I heal it of all its wounds.'

The Lord, to St. Mechtilde

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2361 on: March 15, 2017, 07:10:47 AM »

'O souls! seek a refuge, like pure doves, in the shadow of the crucifix. There mourn the Passion of your divine Spouse, and drawing from your hearts flames of love and rivers of tears, make of them a precious balm with which to anoint the wounds of your Saviour.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2362 on: March 16, 2017, 05:09:56 AM »

'O Jesus, hidden under the Eucharistic veils, Thou hast said: "If any one thirst, let him come to Me, and I will refresh him." Do Thou quench my thirst . . . In truth, in truth, Jesus has refreshed me; at some future day He will entirely quench my thirst.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2363 on: March 17, 2017, 05:02:01 AM »

'The more the wicked abound, so much the more must we suffer with them in patience; for on the threshing floor few are the grains carried into the barns, but high are the piles of chaff burned with fire.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2364 on: March 17, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »

'And again after a few years I was in Britain with my people. who received me as their son, and sincerely besought me that now at last, having suffered so many hardships, I should not leave them and go elsewhere.

And there I saw in the night the vision of a man, whose name was Victoricus, coming as it were from Ireland, with countless letters. And he gave me one of them, and I read the opening words of the letter, which were, `The voice of the Irish'; and as I read the beginning of the letter I thought that at the same moment I heard their voice---they were those beside the Wood of Voclut, which is near the Western Sea---and thus did they cry out as with one mouth: `We ask thee, boy, come and walk among us once more.'

And I was quite broken in heart, and could read no further, and so I woke up.

Thanks be to God, after many years the Lord gave to them according to their cry.'

St. Patrick

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2365 on: March 18, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »

'As Jesus has shown me in the Blessed Sacrament a love of preference, I am ready to do every thing to respond to it, but the great virtue that He demands of Me is the renunciation of my own will.'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2366 on: March 19, 2017, 08:58:49 AM »

'One of the clearest proofs that we love God is to seek only His good pleasure, to desire God alone: Dilectus meus mihi et ego illi - "My Beloved to me, and I to Him " (Cant. ii. 16), and to do His will as soon as we know it.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2367 on: March 20, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »

'If you want spiritual health, listen to your conscience, do all it tells you, and you will benefit.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2368 on: March 21, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »

'You ought to forget yourself in God; let your spirit fall, as a drop of water, into that immense ocean of charity, to repose there and receive the divine communications, without losing sight of your nothingness. We learn all things in this divine solitude; we learn more things in this interior school by being silent than by talking. St. Mary Magdalen out of love fell at the feet of Jesus; there she was silent, she listened, she loved, she lost herself in love.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2369 on: Yesterday at 02:19:24 PM »

'Neither did I care to read newspapers, for I should prefer to read a chapter of the Holy Bible wherein I know for sure that what I read is true. In newspapers, as a general rule, one finds only a great deal of lies and useless reading.'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: