Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 299 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1238873 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2416 on: May 22, 2017, 01:48:18 AM »

'One of the best proofs that we advance in virtue is to be at peace amid the attacks and the contradictions of creatures. Be firm on this point, and despise all the assaults of hell. More than ever show your fidelity to God by reposing on the cross with equanimity of spirit, and even exteriorly be calm and serene, without murmur or complaint. Drink of the chalice which Jesus Himself offers you; if it be bitter to the palate, it is sweet to the heart.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2417 on: May 23, 2017, 01:30:49 AM »

'Go to one who hath both knowledge and conscience, one of those who know excellently how to discern that which ought to be done. . . Choose one who is good, not anyone, whatever he may be, no! For sometimes thou wilt go to one who hath a carnal mind, and is not instructed, and who will say to thee; it is permitted thee for the sake of pleasure to thy husband to beautify thyself and to deck thself out with ornaments. Out upon him! for he is a beast; do as I say to thee: go to a man of conscience and learning, and who is good.'

St. Bernardine of Siena

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2418 on: May 25, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »

'If we look forward to receiving God's mercy, we can never fail to do good so long as we have the strength. For if we share with the poor, out of love for God, whatever he has given to us, we shall receive according to his promise a hundredfold in eternal happiness. What a fine profit, what a blessed reward! With outstretched arms he begs us to turn toward him, to weep for our sins, and to become the servants of love, first for ourselves, then for our neighbors. Just as water extinguishes a fire, so love wipes away sin.'

St. John of God

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2419 on: May 28, 2017, 01:24:19 AM »

'He who with fear of God admonishes or corrects a man who has sinned, gains the virtue that is opposite to that sin. But he who reproaches him out of rancor and ill will becomes subject to a similar passion, according to the spiritual law.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2420 on: May 29, 2017, 01:55:48 AM »

'Patience is necessary for the servant of God, and we must not be distressed at trouble, but wait for consolation.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2421 on: May 31, 2017, 05:52:01 AM »

'It is well to deny ourselves that which is permitted, in order to avoid more easily that which is not.'

St. Benedict

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2422 on: June 01, 2017, 01:19:45 AM »

'Rest tranquilly in the loving Heart of our dear Saviour; do not lose peace, even though the world turn upside down.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2423 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »

'The law of holiness consists in recollection. When God first calls the soul to Him, He makes it abandon sin by one way alone, recollection of conscience; He makes use of recollection again to lead the soul to a higher state of virtue, and finally, He uses the same means to unite it to Himself in the life of love.

For penitents, then, for those who are making progress, and for those who are nearing the goal, recollection is the law of holiness.'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2424 on: June 03, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »

'If a man reads this or any other work not to gain spiritual benefit but to track down matter with which to abuse the author, so that in his conceit he can show himself to be the more learned, nothing profitable will ever be revealed to him in anything.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2425 on: June 04, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »

'Yes, my dear bretheren, we shall see at the Judgement that the largest section of Christians practiced a religion of whim or caprice only -- that is to say, the greatest number of them practiced their religion merely from motives of routine, and very few sought God alone in what they did.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2426 on: June 06, 2017, 04:09:24 AM »

'Blessed Jane of the Cross prayed continually for those who gave her any displeasure. Hence her sisters in religion used to say: Whoever desires the prayers of Mother Jane must offer some insult to her. St. Elizabeth, Queen of Hungary, after having prayed for a person who had offended her, heard from God the following words: Know that you never said a prayer more acceptable to me than that which you have just offered, and on account of this prayer I pardon all your sins. Imitate her example, and you shall certainly obtain the pardon and affection of your divine Spouse.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2427 on: June 07, 2017, 02:58:32 AM »

'I desire that thou mayest serve Me as an instrument to draw hearts to My love.'

The Lord, to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2428 on: June 08, 2017, 01:35:08 AM »

'Love reigns in virginity of heart.'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2429 on: June 10, 2017, 02:18:30 AM »

'Ah! the Blood of Jesus Christ, so much insulted, cries more powerfully for vengeance against the sacrilegious priest than the blood of Abel did against Cain. This Jesus Himself declared to St. Bridget. Oh! what horror must God and His Angels feel at the sight of a sacrilegious Mass!'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2430 on: June 11, 2017, 05:13:18 AM »

'Do we not see priests who, in church, at the altar, in the confessional, and even when vested for Mass, not only raise their eyes, but turn them round in all directions and fix them on people as if they wished to study them, and who are so uneasy and restive, craning their necks and moving hands and feet, that they show plainly that they cannot control themselves? How is it possible for the people to be edified at such a sight and learn to respect the house of God, and stand with reverence and composure?

On one occasion it happened that a layman came into a church looking for a priest to hear his confession. As soon as he entered he saw a confessor who, having dispatched a penitent from one side of the confessional before turning to the other, had a good look round the church, and not content with that, leaned out straining his eyes in order to get a better view of everything. At such a sight the man took his hat and went out saying that such a confessor would hardly suit him.'

St. Joseph Cafasso, 'The Priest, The Man Of God, His Dignity and Duties'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2431 on: June 12, 2017, 03:29:40 AM »

'I understand that, each time we contemplate with desire and devotion the Host in which is hidden Christ's Eucharistic Body, we increase our merits in heaven and secure special joys to be ours later in the beatific vision of God.'

St. Gertrude the Great

Don't forget this quote my friends!  Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 299 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: