Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2017, 12:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 320949 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2516 on: October 07, 2017, 12:40:27 AM »

'See my children; the treasure of a Christian is not on the earth, it is in Heaven. Well, our thoughts ought to be where our treasure is. Man has a beautiful occupation, that of praying and loving. You pray, you love -- that is the happiness of man upon the earth. Prayer is nothing else than union with God. When our heart is pure and united to God, we feel within ourselves a joy, a sweetness that inebriates, a light that dazzles us. In this intimate union God and the soul are like two pieces of wax melted together; they cannot be separated. This union of God with His little creature is a most beautiful thing. It is a happiness that we cannot understand. . . God, in His goodness, has permitted us to speak to Him. Our prayer is an incense which He receives with extreme pleasure.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2517 on: October 08, 2017, 06:27:25 AM »

'For what is the ascetic life but mastery of the passions, control of thoughts and unrelenting wrestling against invisible foes? And how should these things not afflict the flesh? But this slight momentary affliction of ours, as it is written, is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory, beyond all measure, because our aim is not what can be seen but what cannot be seen.'

St. Theodore the Studite

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2518 on: October 09, 2017, 06:40:31 PM »

'He does much in the sight of God who does his best, be it ever so little.'

St. Peter of Alcantara

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2519 on: October 11, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »

'The truly humble reject all praise for themselves, and refer it all to God.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2520 on: October 12, 2017, 04:05:07 AM »

'If thou wouldst glory, let it be in the Lord, by referring everything to Him, and giving to Him all the honor and glory.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2521 on: October 13, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »

'True words from a pure conscience betoken unfeigned love.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2522 on: October 14, 2017, 07:10:08 AM »

'Prayer is our principal weapon. By it we obtain of God the victory over our evil inclinations, and over all temptations of hell.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2523 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:07 AM »

'What then should a Catholic do if some part of the Church were to separate itself from communion with the universal Faith? What other choice can he make but to prefer to the gangrenous and corrupted member the whole of the body that is sound. And if some new contagion were to try to poison no longer a small part of the Church, but all of the Church at the same time, then he will take the greatest care to attach himself to antiquity which, obviously, can no longer be seduced by any lying novelty.'

St. Vincent of Lerins

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2524 on: October 16, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »

'Strive ever to have a loving and filial fear, which will lead you to do good and avoid evil, rejecting all other fears, for they only come from the spirit of darkness.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2525 on: October 17, 2017, 09:53:15 PM »

'"Learn from Me", He said "for I am gentle and humble in heart" (Matt. 11:29). Gentleness keeps the soul's incensive power in a calm state; humility frees the intellect from conceit and self-esteem.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2526 on: October 19, 2017, 01:04:19 AM »

'Do not attempt to explain something difficult with contentiousness, but in the way which the spiritual law enjoins: with patience, prayer and unwavering hope.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2527 on: October 20, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »

'He who is not attracted by worldly things cherishes stillness. He who loves nothing merely human loves all men. And he who takes no offence at anyone either on account of their faults, or on account of his own suspicious thoughts, has knowledge of God and of things divine.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2528 on: October 21, 2017, 12:42:30 AM »

'Lord, grant that I may know Thee, and that I may know myself.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2529 on: October 22, 2017, 01:23:25 AM »

'Be fond of working with your hands, but still more of the memory of prayer; because the first does not always bring us the fruit of that occupation, while the second does so unceasingly. Do not stop praying until you have paid your due of prayer in full, and do not listen to the thought that it is time to sit down to work. Equally, when you sit at work, do not be too concerned in it, lest you agitate the heart by your haste and make it worthless for prayer.'

St. Nilus of Sinai

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2530 on: Yesterday at 12:43:32 AM »

'He who has not yet attained divine knowledge energized by love is proud of his spiritual progress. But he who has been granted such knowledge repeats with deep conviction the words uttered by the patriarch Abraham when he was granted the manifestation of God: "I am dust and ashes" (Gen. 18:27).'

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: