Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 09:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 344160 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2533 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:52 AM »

'The Fathers put compunction as the beginning of every action.'

St. Poemen

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2534 on: October 31, 2017, 05:58:52 AM »

'Ever keep the fire of charity burning on the altar of your heart.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2535 on: November 01, 2017, 01:24:20 AM »

'Now is the time of a fruitful sowing for eternity, when the harvest will be plentiful. Do not lose courage. Your sufferings endured with patience are worth a thousand times more than any other austerity. This is what God asks of you for the present.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

James - a humble servant
A son of St. Dominic
Established

~ Matthew 20: 28 ~

View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 01, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »

A glad spirit attains to perfection more quickly than any other.

~ St. Philip Neri

"O Holy Lord grant me the graces and helps I need to be faithful to all of the responsibilities and duties of my vocation and my state in life and in the faithful living of the true Spiritual Life. Amen."
~ St. Thomas Aquinas
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2537 on: November 02, 2017, 02:24:23 AM »

'St. Catherine of Bologna, when she wished to obtain any grace, had recourse to the souls in Purgatory, and her prayers were heard immediately. She declared that, by praying to those holy souls she obtained many favors which she had sought through the intercession of the saints without obtaining them. The graces which devout persons are said to have received through the holy souls are innumerable.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2538 on: November 03, 2017, 01:43:50 AM »

'As the king would think it faithlessness of an officer, when his post was attacked not to ask him for reinforcements, he would be reputed a traitor if he did not request help from the king; so God thinks himself betrayed by the man who, when he finds himself surrounded by temptations, does not run to him for assistance.'

St. Bonaventure

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2539 on: November 03, 2017, 06:13:09 AM »

'Nothing but self-will can separate us from God.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2540 on: November 04, 2017, 05:51:31 AM »

'Neither shall light ever be darkness as long as light exists, nor shall the truth of the things pertaining to us be controverted. For truth is that than which nothing is more powerful. Every one who might speak the truth, and speaks it not, shall be judged by God.'

St. Justin Martyr

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2541 on: November 05, 2017, 01:05:23 AM »

'The continual remembrance of the presence of God engenders in the soul a divine state.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2542 on: November 06, 2017, 03:38:12 AM »

'It is very useful for those who minister the word of God, or give themselves up to prayer, to read the works of authors whose names begin with S, such as Saint Augustine, Saint Bernard, etc.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2543 on: November 08, 2017, 12:15:38 AM »

'Our Lord wishes us to have great charity for our neighbor, for whom we should pray as for ourselves; it is one of the characteristic effects of this devotion to reconcile hearts and to bring peace to souls.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2544 on: November 09, 2017, 02:00:54 AM »

'If we would advance in virtue, we must not neglect little things, for they pave the way to greater.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2545 on: November 10, 2017, 08:22:38 PM »

'Since they attack the very root of faith either by openly denying, hypocritically undermining, or misrepresenting revealed doctrine, we should above all recall the truth Charles often taught. "The primary and most important duty of pastors is to guard everything pertaining to the integral and inviolate maintenance of the Catholic Faith, the faith which the Holy Roman Church professes and teaches, without which it is impossible to please God." Again: "In this matter no diligence can be too great to fulfill the certain demands of our office." We must therefore use sound doctrine to withstand "the leaven of heretical depravity," which if not repressed, will corrupt the whole. That is to say, we must oppose these erroneous opinions now deceitfully being scattered abroad, which, when taken all together, are called Modernism. With Charles we must be mindful "of the supreme zeal and excelling diligence which the bishop must exercise in combating the crime of heresy."'

Pope St. Pius X, 'Editae Saepe'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2546 on: November 13, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »

'When the intellect grows strong, it makes ready to pursue the love which quenches all bodily passions and which prevents anything contrary to nature from gaining control over the heart. Then the intellect, struggling against what is contrary to nature, separates this from what is in accordance with nature. Examine yourself daily in the sight of God, and discover which of the passions is in your heart. Cast it out, and so escape His judgment. Be attentive to your heart and watch your enemies, for they are cunning in their malice. In your heart be persuaded of this: it is impossible for a man to achieve good through evil means. That is why our Savior told us to be watchful, saying: "Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way that leads to life, and few there are that find it (Matt. 7:14)."'

St. Isaiah the Solitary

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2547 on: November 14, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »

'. . . in the early days of the faith few indeed -- but they were very upright -- were regarded as monks, and they had received that form of life from the evangelist Mark of blessed memory, who was the first to rule as bishop over the city of Alexandria. They not only retained then those magnificent qualities that we read in the Acts of the Apostles were originally cultivated by the Church and by the throngs of believers but to these they even added things far more lofty. . . they went off to quite secluded places on the outskirts of the city and led a strict life of such rigorous abstinence that even those who did not share their religion were astonished at the arduous profession of their way of life. For day and night they gave themselves over to the reading of Holy Scripture, to prayer, and to manual labor with such fervor that the very appetite for and memory of food only disturbed them every second or third day, when their bodies felt hunger, and they would take food and drink not so much out of desire as out of necessity. Indeed, they would not do this before sunset, so as to link the daytime with the pursuit of spiritual meditation but the care of the body with the night. And other things they did that were far more lofty than these. . .'

St. John Cassian

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2548 on: November 15, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »

'There are two cries in man, the cry of the angel and the cry of the beast. The cry of the angel is prayer; the cry of the beast is sin. Those who do not pray, stoop towards the earth, like a mole trying to make a hole to hide itself in. They are all earthly, all brutish, and think of nothing but temporal things, . . . like that miser who was receiving the last Sacraments the other day; when they gave him a silver crucifix to kiss, he said, "That cross weighs a full ten ounces." If. . . the poor lost souls, notwithstanding their sufferings, could worship, there would be no more Hell. Alas! they had a heart to love God with, a tongue to bless Him with; that was their destiny. And now they are condemned to curse Him through all eternity. . .'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2549 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »

'He who does nothing to dispel love is precious in the sight of God and among men.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: