Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2017, 11:46:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 363933 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2550 on: November 16, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »

'Decorum, however, as well as religion, requires that as a Christian, you not allow yourself to sing every sort of song and that you be especially on your guard not to sing indecent songs or those whose words are too explicit or contain double meanings. In a word, it is very unbecoming for a Christian to sing songs that might lead to impiety, that glorify loose living, or that contain expressions and words suggesting that it is an honor and a great pleasure to drink to excess. Besides the fact that it is very uncouth to have these words on your lips, such words might strongly contribute to having someone else fall into such excesses, even if he is not doing so at the moment. Songs can move you with the spirit they contain more strongly than do mere words.'

St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2551 on: November 17, 2017, 07:30:37 AM »

'Indeed it is written, Everyone who sins is a slave of sin; but the slave does not abide in the house for ever. The son abides for ever. Since then we too have been granted to have been called sons according to grace, we remain in the house for ever, if we hold firm the beginning of our undertaking to the end.'

St. Theodore the Studite

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2552 on: November 18, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »

'Man has been created to praise, honor, and serve the Lord his God, and in this way to save his soul; and everything else on earth exists for man to aid him to reach the end which God has marked out for him in creating him. He must, then, use things as long only as they conduct him. to this end, and abstain from them whenever they turn him aside from it.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2553 on: November 19, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »

'He who relies on theoretical knowledge alone is not yet a faithful servant: a faithful servant is one who expresses his faith in Christ through obedience to His commandments.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2554 on: November 21, 2017, 12:10:35 AM »

'Abandon everything to My good pleasure and let Me accomplish My designs; do not thou interfere in anything, for I will take care of all.'

The Lord, to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2555 on: November 22, 2017, 02:05:01 AM »

'The things of this life are only really happy, as far as they prepare us for the eternal life which follows.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2556 on: November 23, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »

'A virtuous life consists in mortifying vices, sins, bad thoughts, and evil affections, and in exercising ourselves in the acquisition of holy virtues.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2557 on: November 24, 2017, 01:18:19 AM »

'There are many souls who close their ears against Him because they prefer to speak and hurry through vocal prayers as if a task had been set them to say a certain amount everyday. Do not imitate them. You are doing more by occasionally repeating a single petition of the Our Father than by repeating the whole of it many times in a hurry and not thinking [or willing] what you are saying.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2558 on: November 26, 2017, 02:17:24 AM »

'Eating and drinking don't make friendships - such friendship even robbers and murderers have. But if we are friends, if we truly care for one another, let us help one another spiritually. . . Let us hinder those things that lead our friends away to hell.'

St. John Chrysostom

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2559 on: November 27, 2017, 12:29:23 AM »

'Yes, my brothers, I ask you, let us stand nobly, rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, persevering in prayer, attentive to our manual work, to the psalmody, the recitation, the readings, that by such occupation we may keep a hold on the mind, dragging it away from being occupied with vanities; since idleness is the mother of wickedness, while work is the guardian of the mind. Not however through these being turned from our state, but placing even greater emphasis on obedience, good order, the repose of our neighbour, all the other things which bring about the salvation of our soul; besides all these praying also for our brothers who have been scattered here and there; for concerning them too, whom I cannot see before my eyes, it is an anguish for me how each one is coming through safely; but at any rate praying earnestly for my humble person, that a word may be given me when I open my mouth, and a life free from deformation; so that from either side both we and you may be saved, in Christ Jesus our Lord, to whom be glory and might, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and always and to the ages of ages. Amen.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2560 on: November 28, 2017, 06:38:59 AM »

'My children, we are going to speak of hope: this is what makes the happiness of man on earth. Some people of this world hope too much, and others do not hope enough. Some say, "I am going to commit this sin again. It will not cost me more to confess four than three." It is like a child saying to his father, "I am going to give you four blows; it will cost me no more than to give you one: I shall only have to ask your pardon."

That is the way men behave towards the good God.

They say, "This year I shall amuse myself again; I shall go to dances and to the alehouse, and next year I will be converted. The good God will be sure to receive me, when I choose to return to Him." . . . Do you think that He will adapt Himself to everything in your will? Do you think He will embrace you after you have despised Him all your life? Oh, no, indeed! There is a certain measure of grace and of sin after which God withdraws Himself. . . God would not be just if He made no difference between those who serve Him and those who offend Him. My children, there is so little faith now in the world, that people either hope too much, or they despair. Some say, "I have done too much evil; the good God cannot pardon me." My children, this is a great blasphemy; it is putting a limit on the mercy of God, which has no limit -- it is infinite. You may have done enough to lose the souls of a whole parish, and if you confess, if you are sorry for having done this evil, and resolve not to do it again, the good God will have pardoned you.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2561 on: November 29, 2017, 02:56:49 AM »

'Passions work in four stages -- first, in the heart; second, in the face; thirdly, in words; and fourthly, it is essential not to render evil for evil in deeds. If you can purify your heart, passion will not come into your expression; but if it comes into your face, take care not to speak; but if you do speak, cut the conversation short in case you render evil for evil.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2562 on: December 01, 2017, 04:01:09 AM »

'It is God Himself who receives what we give in charity, and is it not an incomparable happiness to give Him what belongs to Him, and what we have received from His goodness alone?'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2563 on: December 03, 2017, 01:34:14 AM »

'Do thou, therefore, apply thyself unweariedly to the pursuit of holiness, lest thou cease to be the temple of God.'

St. Anselm of Canterbury

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2564 on: December 05, 2017, 12:43:57 AM »

'Happy are they who in this life prepare themselves to be judged and saved by Christ our Lord, who must judge us for eternity.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2565 on: December 07, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »

'An intellect that does not use its intelligence fails to chastise the soul, and so prevents it from acquiring love and self-control.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2566 on: December 08, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »

'The love of Christ arouses us, urges us to run, and to fly lifted on the wings of holy zeal . . . The man who burns with the fire of divine love is a son of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and wherever he goes, he enkindles that flame; he desires and works with all his strength to inflame all men with the fire of God's love. Nothing deters him: he rejoices in poverty; he labors strenuously; he welcomes hardships; he laughs off false accusations; he rejoices in anguish. He thinks only of how he might follow Jesus Christ and imitate Him by his prayers, his labors, his sufferings, and by caring always and only for the glory of God and the salvation of souls.'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: