Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2018, 05:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 480521 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2686 on: May 14, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »

'Let a man consider that God always seeth him from Heaven, that the eye of God beholdeth his works everywhere, and that the angels report them to Him every hour.'

St. Benedict

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2687 on: May 15, 2018, 11:53:29 PM »

'A precious crown is reserved in Heaven for those who perform all their actions with all the diligence of which they are capable; for it is not sufficient to do our part well, it must be done more than well.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2688 on: May 17, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »

'In the Old Testament the New is concealed, in the New the Old is revealed.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2689 on: May 18, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »

'But it will be well to note what class of people takes comfort in the thought of God. Surely not that perverse and crooked generation to whom it was said, "Woe unto you that are rich; for ye have received your consolation" (Luke 6.24). Rather, those who can say with truth, "My soul refuseth comfort" (Ps. 77.2). For it is meet that those who are not satisfied by the present should be sustained by the thought of the future, and that the contemplation of eternal happiness should solace those who scorn to drink from the river of transitory joys. That is the generation of them that seek the Lord, even of them that seek, not their own, but the face of the God of Jacob. To them that long for the presence of the living God, the thought of Him is sweetest itself: but there is no satiety, rather an ever-increasing appetite, even as the Scripture bears witness, "they that eat me shall yet be hungry" (Ecclus. 24.21); and if the one an-hungered spake, "When I awake up after Thy likeness, I shall be satisfied with it." Yea, blessed even now are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they, and they only, shall be filled. Woe to you, wicked and perverse generation; woe to you, foolish and abandoned people, who hate Christ's memory, and dread His second Advent! Well may you fear, who will not now seek deliverance from the snare of the hunter; because "they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts" (I Tim. 6.9). In that day we shall not escape the dreadful sentence of condemnation, "Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire" (Matt. 25.41). O dreadful sentence indeed, O hard saying! How much harder to bear than that other saying which we repeat daily in church, in memory of the Passion: 'Whoso eateth My flesh and drinketh My blood hath eternal life' (John 6.54). That signifies, whoso honors My death and after My example mortifies his members which are upon the earth (Col. 3.5) shall have eternal life, even as the apostle says, "If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him" (II Tim. 2.12).'

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2690 on: May 20, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »

'If it is not easy to find anyone conforming to God's will who has not been put to the test, we ought to thank God for everything that happens to us.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: