Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233061 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2720 on: July 04, 2018, 09:42:38 AM »

'To do well and to feel that we do nothing well is a sign of deep humility.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2721 on: July 07, 2018, 04:20:46 AM »

'Blessed the one who has before his eyes the day of departure and has hated pride, before the weakness our nature has been proved as it rots in the tomb.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2722 on: July 09, 2018, 03:38:35 AM »

'You can make these short prayers while walking or working, and even when in company with others; for though you be externally engaged with others, your heart is free, and through your heart you can benefit your soul, even in the midst of the most serious occupations.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2723 on: July 11, 2018, 04:24:17 AM »

'An ordinary action, performed through obedience and love of God, is more meritorious than extraordinary works done on your own authority.'

St. Louis de Blois

Cheesy

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2724 on: July 12, 2018, 03:05:49 AM »

'It is first of all necessary to purify carefully the hidden recesses of our heart. For that which we desire to gain by bodily purity we must possess in the depths of our conscience, where the Lord resides as judge and superintendent of the games He carefully observes how we run and fight. Thus those things which we are loathe to admit in the open will not even take shape in our interior and we will not even be soiled by any secret connivance. For although it might escape the notice of men, it cannot lie hidden from the knowledge of Almighty God and the holy angels, from whom no secret is hidden.'

St. John Cassian

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2725 on: July 14, 2018, 03:34:48 AM »

'Yes, my dear bretheren, we shall see at the Judgement that the largest section of Christians practiced a religion of whim or caprice only -- that is to say, the greatest number of them practiced their religion merely from motives of routine, and very few sought God alone in what they did.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2726 on: July 15, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »

'What I wish above all is, that you busy yourselves in the pure love of Jesus Christ, in the desire for His glory, and the salvation of souls which He has so dearly purchased.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2727 on: July 16, 2018, 06:48:38 AM »

'When people say that it is impossible to attain perfection, to be once and for all free from the passions, or to participate fully in the Holy Spirit, we should cite Holy Scripture against them, showing them that they are ignorant and speak falsely and dangerously. For the Lord said: "Become perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect." (Matt. 5:48), perfection denoting total purity; and: "I desire these men to be with Me wherever I am, so that they may see My glory." (John 17:24) He also said: "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away." (Matt. 24:35) And St. Paul is saying the same as Christ when he writes: ". . . so that we may present every man perfect in Christ." (Col. 1:28) and: ". . . until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ." (Eph. 4:13) Thus by aspiring to perfection two of the best things come about, provided we struggle diligently and unceasingly: we seek to attain this perfect measure and growth; and we are not conquered by vanity, but look upon ourselves as petty and mean because we have not yet reached our goal.

Those who deny the possibility of perfection inflict the greatest damage on the soul in three ways. First, they manifestly disbelieve the inspired Scriptures. Then, because they do not make the greatest and fullest goal of Christianity their own, and so do not aspire to attain it, they can have no longing and diligence, no hunger and thirst for righteousness; (cf. Matt. 5:6) on the contrary, content with outward show and behavior and with minor accomplishments of this kind, they abandon that blessed expectation together with the pursuit of perfection and of the total purification of the passions. Third, thinking they have reached the goal when they have acquired a few virtues, and not pressing on to the true goal, not only are they incapable of having any humility, poverty and contrition of heart but, justifying themselves on the grounds that they have already arrived, they make no efforts to progress and grow day by day.

People who think it is impossible to attain through the Spirit the "new creation" of the pure heart (cf. 2 Cor. 5:17) are rightly and explicitly likened by the apostle to those who, because of their unbelief, were found unworthy of entering the promised land and whose bodies on that account "were left lying in the desert." (Heb. 3:17)'

St. Symeon Metaphrastis

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2728 on: July 17, 2018, 02:15:44 AM »

'Your love for God must be so great that grace may triumph over your heart and over all human respect. No more self-introspection. Provided that the good pleasure of the Sacred Heart is accomplished, suffering and enjoyment must be a matter of indifference to you.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2729 on: July 18, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »

'There is nothing of which apostolic men have more need than interior recollection, in order not to endanger their own salvation whilst seeking that of others.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2730 on: July 19, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »

'It never was, is, or shall be lawful for Catholic Christians to teach any doctrine except that which they have received once and for all time; and it always was, is, and shall be their duty to condemn those who do.'

St. Vincent of Lerins

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2731 on: July 20, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »

'Do we not admire Joseph, a young man of seventeen, for enduring his temptation to the end? And God glorified him. Do we not also see Job, how he suffered to the end, and lived in endurance? Temptations cannot destroy hope in God.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2732 on: July 21, 2018, 09:25:20 AM »

'God makes all his own the soul that is wholly given to him.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2733 on: July 22, 2018, 02:09:51 AM »

'When the body is urged by the senses to indulge its own desires and pleasures, the corrupted intellect readily succumbs and assents to its impassioned fantasies and impulses. But the regenerated intellect exercises self-control and withholds itself from them. Moreover, as a true philosopher it studies how to rectify such impulses.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2734 on: July 25, 2018, 01:11:17 AM »

'Holy Communion is the most efficacious means of uniting one's self to God.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2735 on: July 28, 2018, 02:28:06 AM »

'Blessed the one who has not defiled his hands with unseemly deeds like one accursed, for about this there will be a judgment in the dread day in the presence of the Lord.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: