Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 299 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1238977 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2752 on: August 20, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »

'Blessed the one who considers those who sleep in their coffins in graves and has rejected every foul smelling desire, for he will rise in glory when the heavenly trumpet sounds, rousing all the children of humankind from sleep.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2753 on: August 21, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »

'Nothing but self-will can separate us from God.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2754 on: August 23, 2018, 06:46:49 PM »

'Brethren and fathers, because winter has passed and spring has arrived, we see creation flourishing again; the plants are flowering, the earth is growing green, the birds are singing and everything else is being renewed; and we take pleasure in all this and we glorify God the master craftsman who transforms and changes creation year by year, and it is reasonable to do so. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made [Rom. 1:20]. It is our duty not just to stay where we are, but to advance further and to examine carefully for ourselves the logic of creation. How? Because this renewal has winter as its cause. It would not have reached its prime had it not first undergone snows and rains and winds. And so it is with the soul; unless it is first snowed on by afflictions, troubles and difficulties, it will not flower, it will not fruit; but by enduring, it bears fruit and partakes in a blessing from God, as it is written: Ground that drinks up the rain falling on it repeatedly, and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is cultivated, partakes in a blessing from God [Heb. 6:7]. Therefore, brethren, let us also endure every affliction, every trouble, every trial which assails us both visibly and invisibly, the fast we are drawing out as we hunger and thirst and are otherwise made wretched, so that we may bear fruit and partake of God's blessing; and not only that, but that we may nourish and welcome Jesus as our guest. For just as we enjoy the sight of creation, so he too enjoys the hour of our souls.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2755 on: August 24, 2018, 09:36:52 AM »

'Since God Himself is all greatness, He takes pleasure in lowering His greatness to our littleness, that He may be glorified in our infirmity.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2756 on: August 25, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »

'I will not let you kick, nor will I feed you with corn, but with chaff; I will tame you by hunger and thirst; I will load you with heavy weights, and accustom you to heat and cold, so that you shall think more of food than of pleasure.'

St. Hilarian, addressing his body

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2757 on: August 27, 2018, 10:45:01 AM »

'We should express ourselves in few words; the truth is all its simplicity suffices. We should guard against enlarging on the consequences; truth in itself always carries conviction; too many ornaments but weaken and over-weight it in its struggle with error.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2758 on: August 28, 2018, 01:39:41 AM »

'Firmly control anger and desire, and you will speedily rid yourself of evil thoughts.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2759 on: August 29, 2018, 01:00:35 AM »

'The days of the Passion are days when the very stones melt into tears. What! the High-Priest is dead, and we cannot weep over Him? We must have lost faith, O my God!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2760 on: August 30, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »

'It is a fault, not a virtue, to wish your humility recognized and applauded.'

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2761 on: September 02, 2018, 01:02:59 AM »

'A vain question deserves nothing but silence. So learn to be silent for a time; you will edify your brethren and silence will teach you to speak when the hour is come.'

St. Vincent Ferrer

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2762 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »

'For Thy sake we came into being, so that we might delight in the paradise which Thou hast planted and in which Thou hast placed us.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2763 on: September 08, 2018, 05:39:06 AM »

'Cleanse your vessel, that you may receive grace more abundantly. For though remission of sins is given equally to all, the communion of the Holy Ghost is bestowed in proportion to each man's faith. If you have laboured little, you receive little; but if you have wrought much, the reward is great.'

St. Cyril of Jerusalem

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2764 on: September 09, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »

'Human language cannot express the beauty of a soul which dies in a state of grace.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2765 on: September 10, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »

'God is your business and language. Whoever wants to speak to you must learn this language; and if he doesn't, be on your guard that you don't learn his; it will be a hell.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2766 on: September 11, 2018, 05:00:15 AM »

'But, you ask, after I have thus burst the chains of my unholy bondage, will no traces remain, and shall I not still carry the scars on my feet-that is, in my wounded affections? Not so, my child, if you have attained a due abhorrence of the evil; in that case all you will feel is an exceeding horror of your unworthy affection, and all appertaining thereto; no thought will linger in your breast concerning it save a true love of God.'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2767 on: September 12, 2018, 05:02:20 AM »

'The more I contemplate God, the more God looks on me. The more I pray to Him, the more He thinks of me too.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 299 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: