Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 06:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 561622 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2771 on: September 16, 2018, 01:35:58 AM »

'All vice is caused by self-esteem and sensual pleasure; you cannot overcome passion without hating them. . . "Avarice is the root of all evil" (1 Tim. 6:10); but avarice is clearly a product of these two components.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2772 on: September 17, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »

'If they be faithful and seek no satisfaction in creatures, they pass from pure suffering to the pure love of God. But the fortunate souls who succeed thus far are very few.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2773 on: September 18, 2018, 06:52:51 AM »

'The best remedy for dryness of spirit, is to picture ourselves as beggars in the presence of God and the Saints, and like a beggar, to go first to one saint, then to another, to ask a spiritual alms of them with the same earnestness as a poor fellow in the streets would ask an alms of us.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2774 on: September 19, 2018, 01:38:17 AM »

'He who does not choose to suffer for the sake of truth will be chastened more painfully by suffering he has not chosen.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2775 on: September 20, 2018, 07:10:39 AM »

'Do you ask what piety is? It is leaving time for consideration. You may perhaps tell me that herein I differ from him who defines piety as the worship of God; I do not really differ from him. If you well consider the point you will find that I have expressed his meaning in my own words, only partly, however, I admit. What is so essential to the worship of God as the practice to which He exhorts in the psalm, Be still and see that I am God? This certainly is the chief object of consideration. Is anything, in all respects, so influential as consideration? Does it not by a kindly anticipation create the divisions of the active life itself, in a manner rehearsing and arranging beforehand what has to be done? There must be consideration lest haply affairs which foreseen and premeditated might turn out well, may, if precipitated, be fraught with peril.'

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2776 on: September 21, 2018, 05:32:57 AM »

'Thou hast still a long, painful and rugged path to tread, on which thou wilt often need to take breath and rest in My Sacred Heart; on that account. It shall always be open to thee, as long as thou walkest in Its ways.'

The Lord, to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2777 on: September 22, 2018, 11:40:35 PM »

'If you have anything against any man, forgive it: you come here to receive forgiveness of sins, and thou also must forgive him that has sinned against you. Else with what face will you say to the Lord, "Forgive me my many sins," if you have not yourself forgiven your fellow-servant even his little sins.'

St. Cyril of Jerusalem

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2778 on: September 23, 2018, 06:48:08 AM »

'Decorum requires that you have a great horror for anything even remotely suggesting impurity. Far from allowing yourself to laugh and to make jokes about it, you must show that you do not find anything about the topic in any way amusing. Those who laugh about such things give proof that they live more according to the flesh than according to the spirit and that their hearts are thoroughly corrupt.'

St. Jean-Baptiste de la Salle

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2779 on: September 24, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »

'If Peter had not failed to catch anything during the night's fishing (cf. Luke 5:5), he would not have caught anything during the day. And if Paul had not suffered physical blindness (cf. Acts 9:Cool, he would not have been given spiritual sight. And if Stephen had not been slandered as a blasphemer, he would not have seen the heavens opened and have looked on God (cf. Acts 6:15; 7:56).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2780 on: September 25, 2018, 12:13:04 AM »

'Let us have no further reserve with Him; let us abandon to Him all that we are, without anxiety about the future, not reflecting on ourselves and our incapacity.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2781 on: October 03, 2018, 03:48:18 AM »

'Oh, what can I say of the precious and divine treasure that our great God has hidden in suffering?'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2782 on: October 04, 2018, 03:26:56 AM »

'If there be a true way that leads to the Everlasting Kingdom, it is most certainly that of suffering, patiently endured.'

St. Colette

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2783 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:26 AM »

'Consider beforehand what occupations, duties and occasions are likely this day to enable you to serve God; what temptations to offend Him, either by vanity, anger, etc., may arise; and make a fervent resolution to use all means of serving Him and confirming your own piety; as also to avoid and resist whatever might hinder your salvation and God's Glory. Nor is it enough to make such a resolution, -- you must also prepare to carry it into effect. Thus, if you foresee having to meet someone who is hot-tempered and irritable, you must not merely resolve to guard your own temper, but you must consider by what gentle words to conciliate him. If you know you will see some sick person, consider how best to minister comfort to him, and so. . .'

St. Francis de Sales

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2784 on: October 06, 2018, 04:05:51 AM »

'The true preparation for prayer consists in the exercise of mortification; for he who wishes to give himself up to prayer without mortification, is like a bird wishing to fly before it is fledged.'

St. Philip Neri

A very important quote!

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2785 on: October 07, 2018, 12:26:05 AM »

'Do not trust in your own righteousness, do not worry about the past, but control your tongue and your stomach.'

St. Anthony of Egypt

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2786 on: October 08, 2018, 05:01:37 AM »

'We come to confession quite preoccupied with the shame that we shall feel. We accuse ourselves with hot air. It is said that many confess, and few are converted. I believe it is so, my children, because few confess with tears of repentance. See, the misfortune is, that people do not reflect. If one said to those who work on Sundays, to a young person who had been dancing for two or three hours, to a man coming out of an alehouse drunk, "What have you been doing? You have been crucifying Our Lord!" they would be quite astonished, because they do not think of it. My children, if we thought of it, we should be seized with horror; it would be impossible for us to do evil. For what has the good God done to us that we should grieve Him thus, and put Him to death again -- Him, who has redeemed us from Hell? It would be well if all sinners, when they are going to their guilty pleasures, could, like St. Peter, meet Our Lord on the way, who would say to them, "I am going to that place where you are going yourself, to be there crucified again." Perhaps that might make them reflect.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2787 on: October 09, 2018, 06:04:27 AM »

'When we are compelled by our conscience to accomplish all the commandments of God, then we shall understand that the law of the Lord is faultless (cf. Ps. 19:8. LXX). It is performed through our good actions, but cannot be perfected by men without God's mercy.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: