Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1232711 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2784 on: October 06, 2018, 05:05:51 AM »

'The true preparation for prayer consists in the exercise of mortification; for he who wishes to give himself up to prayer without mortification, is like a bird wishing to fly before it is fledged.'

St. Philip Neri

A very important quote!

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2785 on: October 07, 2018, 01:26:05 AM »

'Do not trust in your own righteousness, do not worry about the past, but control your tongue and your stomach.'

St. Anthony of Egypt

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2786 on: October 08, 2018, 06:01:37 AM »

'We come to confession quite preoccupied with the shame that we shall feel. We accuse ourselves with hot air. It is said that many confess, and few are converted. I believe it is so, my children, because few confess with tears of repentance. See, the misfortune is, that people do not reflect. If one said to those who work on Sundays, to a young person who had been dancing for two or three hours, to a man coming out of an alehouse drunk, "What have you been doing? You have been crucifying Our Lord!" they would be quite astonished, because they do not think of it. My children, if we thought of it, we should be seized with horror; it would be impossible for us to do evil. For what has the good God done to us that we should grieve Him thus, and put Him to death again -- Him, who has redeemed us from Hell? It would be well if all sinners, when they are going to their guilty pleasures, could, like St. Peter, meet Our Lord on the way, who would say to them, "I am going to that place where you are going yourself, to be there crucified again." Perhaps that might make them reflect.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2787 on: October 09, 2018, 07:04:27 AM »

'When we are compelled by our conscience to accomplish all the commandments of God, then we shall understand that the law of the Lord is faultless (cf. Ps. 19:8. LXX). It is performed through our good actions, but cannot be perfected by men without God's mercy.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2788 on: October 10, 2018, 07:33:57 AM »

'I have a presentiment of my approaching end, and I have need of great grace to prepare for it.'

St. Peter Julian Eymard

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2789 on: October 13, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »

'At the times when you remember God, increase your prayers, so that when you forget Him, the Lord may remind you.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2790 on: October 14, 2018, 06:14:12 AM »

'We must exercise the spirit which God gives us in prayer, and follow that; so that, when, for example, it inclines us to meditate on the Passion, we must not wish to meditate on some other mystery.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2791 on: October 15, 2018, 02:06:21 AM »

'Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2792 on: October 16, 2018, 05:14:58 AM »

'Oh, what a profitable exchange to give our hearts to God, and in return to be made the objects of his love. But, because we do not offer him the undivided affections of our souls, he does not bestow upon us all the treasures of his life.'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2793 on: October 18, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »

'I cannot reach the heights of contemplation, I do not burst into tears of compunction. My mind, overshadowed by the darkness of worldly affairs, endeavours in vain to reach the heights of contemplation; it is weighed down by the business of this world as if with piles of stones.'

St. Peter Damian

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2794 on: October 21, 2018, 06:12:26 PM »

'In our ascetic warfare we can neither rid ourselves of evil thoughts apart from their causes, nor of their causes without ridding ourselves of the thoughts. For if we reject the one without the other, before long the other will involve us in them both at once.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2795 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:46 PM »

'One day when Blessed Alan was saying Mass, Our Lord, Who wished to spur him on to preach the Holy Rosary, spoke to him in the Sacred Host: "How can you crucify Me again so soon?" Jesus said. "What did you say, Lord?" asked Blessed Alan, horrified. "You crucified Me once before by your sins," answered Jesus, "and I would willingly be crucified again rather than have My Father offended by the sins you used to commit. You are crucifying Me again now because you have all the learning and understanding that you need to preach My Mother's Rosary, and you are not doing so. If you only did this you could teach many souls the right path and lead them away from sin - but you are not doing so and so you yourself are guilty of the sins that they commit." This terrible reproach made Blessed Alan solemnly resolve to preach the Rosary unceasingly.'

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2796 on: October 23, 2018, 03:17:04 AM »

'A monk is a man who has freed his intellect from attachment to material things and by means of self-control, love, psalmody and prayer cleaves to God.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2797 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »

'Demonstrate what you think by your bearing and your walk. Have simplicity in the way you present yourself, purity in your walk, gravity in your gestures, honesty in your step. Do not display lasciviousness, arrogance, and superficiality. The stance of the body is the indicator of the mind. Your walk, therefore, should not represent superficiality; your step should not affront yourself or your neighbor.'

St. Isidore of Seville

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2798 on: October 24, 2018, 07:48:29 AM »

'Let the simplicity of Christ instruct me, and the true humility of the wise loose me from the chains of doubt. For, as St. Paul says: 'When God showed us His wisdom, the world, with all its wisdom, could not find its way to God; and now God would use a foolish thing, our preaching, to save those who will believe in it.'

St. Peter Damian

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2799 on: October 25, 2018, 10:12:11 AM »

'Some, when they actively observe the commandments, expect this to outweigh their sins; others, who observe the commandments without this presumption, gain the grace of Him who died on account of our sins. We should consider which of these is right.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: