Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:07:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233323 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2848 on: January 05, 2019, 07:04:28 AM »

'When the intellect is absorbed in the contemplation of things invisible, it seeks their natural principles, the cause of their generation and whatever follows from this, as well as the providential order and judgment which relates to them.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2849 on: January 06, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »

'Were any one to ask me, no matter at what moment, "Of what are you thinking?" it seems to me I could reply, "God alone occupies my mind."'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2850 on: January 07, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »

'God confers a great honor on us when He calls us to walk the same path as His only Son.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2851 on: January 08, 2019, 05:33:37 AM »

'The Lord created all mortals in the light, offering the supreme joys of heaven according to their merits.

Blessed is the one who without straying directs his soul toward those heights and is vigilant to preserve himself from all evil.

Blessed again is the one who repents after sinning and often weeps because of his fault.

Alas! People live as though death did not follow life, as if hell were only an unfounded fable, though burning embrace.

Mortals, have a care that you live, all of you, in such a way that you do not have to fear the lake of hell.'

St. Bruno

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2852 on: January 10, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »

'Such also was Saint Ignatius of Antioch who called himself God-bearer by his bearing in himself the Lord's sufferings. Such was St. Eustratius who cried out in the midst of torments and said, "Now I know that Christ lives in me". O blessed voices and thrice-blessed souls! Whose memorials then do we celebrate? Whose nativities do we feast? To whom do we erect sacred churches, whose relics do we venerate? Is it not those of the Martyrs? Those of the Confessors? Those of the Ascetics? And if here they have been found worthy of so great glory, how much and how great the splendour they would enjoy in the age to come? Ineffable and unimaginable the reckoning! This is the fair business, this the blessed exchange: by small struggles and toils to purchase goods that are eternal and without end. Let us too then imitate them, brethren; let us mingle our blood with the holy blood, for this is possible; for its nature is not dissimilar nor has he changed who says: See, see that I am and I have not changed [Cf. Dt. 32:39 and Mal. 3:6].'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2853 on: January 12, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »

'A friend will visit his friend in the morning to wish him a good day; in the evening, a good night; taking also an opportunity to converse with him during the day. In like manner make visits to Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament, if your duties permit it. It is especially at the foot of the altar that one prays well. In all your visits to Our Saviour, frequently offer His precious blood to the Eternal Father. You will find these visits very conducive to your growth in the knowledge and love of Our Lord.'

St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2854 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »

'Blessed the one who has become like a noble warrior in the Lord's work, rousing the idle, encouraging the faint-hearted in the way of the Lord.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2855 on: January 15, 2019, 08:25:14 AM »

'They said therefore to him: Who art thou? Jesus said to them: The beginning, who also speak unto you.'

John 8:25

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2856 on: January 15, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »

'Those who will not taste how sweet is the Lord, and who love darkness rather than light, being unwilling to fulfill the law of God, are cursed; for the prophet, speaking of them, says: "Cursed are they that decline from Thy commandments." But, on the contrary, how blessed and happy are they who adore Him (as they ought) in spirit and in truth. Let us praise and beseech Him day and night, saying: "Our Father, Who art in heaven," etc., for we ought always to pray, and not to faint.'

St. Francis of Assisi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2857 on: January 16, 2019, 06:08:28 AM »

'Virtues are formed by prayer. Prayer preserves temperance. Prayer suppresses anger. Prayer prevents emotions of pride and envy. Prayer draws into the soul the Holy Spirit, and raises man to Heaven.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2858 on: January 18, 2019, 11:02:35 PM »

'Preserve the harmony of the soul's virtues, and it will bring forth the fruit of righteousness.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2859 on: January 19, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »

'Blessed the one who honours the Saints and loves his neighbour and has banished envy from his own soul; envy through which Cain became his brothers' murderer.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2860 on: January 21, 2019, 03:08:58 AM »

'As the flesh is nourished by food, so is man supported by prayers.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2861 on: January 22, 2019, 02:06:47 AM »

'When the soul lies resignedly in the hands of God, and is contented with the divine pleasure, it is in good hands, and has the best security that good will happen to it.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2862 on: January 25, 2019, 03:38:43 AM »

'Let us serve God; He will certainly take care of us and we shall want for nothing.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2863 on: January 25, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »

'You will note that the Lord establishes as the prime good contemplation, that is the gaze turned in the direction of the things of God. Hence we say that the other virtues, however useful and good we may say they are, must nevertheless be put on a secondary level, since they are all practiced for the sake of this one. "You are full of worry and are upset over many things when actually it should be over a few or even one." In saying this the Lord locates the primary good not in activity, however praiseworthy, however abundantly fruitful, but in the truly simple and unified contemplation of Himself.'

St. John Cassian

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: