Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 05:55:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 182 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 706630 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3009 on: June 25, 2019, 03:34:26 AM »

'Blessed the one who in accordance with God's will loves self-mastery and has not been condemned, thanks to his stomach, as a pleasure seeker and defiled, for such a one will be magnified by the Lord.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3010 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:49 AM »

'If God wishes to despoil us, let us allow Him to do so. Let us not neglect the practice of virtues, let us not neglect the holy presence of God, let us not neglect the remembrance of the Passion of our dear Jesus; but in meditation we must follow His inspirations, not our own impulses. There are some rules, but God is the Master.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3011 on: June 28, 2019, 03:18:42 AM »

'If you desire God to work wonders in your soul, you ought to keep yourself as much as is possible detached from all created things, in true poverty of spirit, and in perfect interior solitude. O sacred desert in which the soul learns the science of the saints, like Moses in the solitude of Mount Horeb!'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3012 on: June 29, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »

'Live with the few if you would reign with the few.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3013 on: June 30, 2019, 01:47:45 AM »

'I think you will please the Sacred Heart of our Lord Jesus Christ, if you so completely surrender yourself to Him, that you will see Him alone and hear Him alone, that He alone may illumine your understanding, be the motive power of your will, the abiding thought of your memory and the supreme love of your heart.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3014 on: July 01, 2019, 02:41:27 AM »

'It suffices not to perform good works; we must do them well, in imitation of Our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom it is written, "He doeth all things well."'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3015 on: July 02, 2019, 04:19:30 AM »

'The self-indulgent are distressed by criticism and hardship; those who love God by praise and luxury.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3016 on: July 03, 2019, 04:36:39 AM »

'Learn that the more thou retirest into thy nothingness, the more My greatness stoops to find thee.'

The Lord, to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3017 on: July 04, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »

'You have the power to incline either upwards or downwards: choose what is superior and you will bring what is inferior into subjection.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3018 on: July 05, 2019, 07:08:01 AM »

'We make no progress because we dwell in that exterior learning which puffs up the mind; but these illiterate Egyptians have a true sense of their own weakness, blindness, and insufficiency; and by that very thing they are qualified to labor successfully in the pursuit of virtue.'

St. Arsenius

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3019 on: July 06, 2019, 04:59:13 AM »

'In storms and squalls we need a pilot, and in this present life we need prayer; for we are susceptible to the provocations of our thoughts, both good and bad. If our thought is full of devotion and love of God, it rules over the passions. As keepers of stillness, we should discriminate between virtue and vice with discretion and watchfulness; and we should know which virtues to practice when in the presence of our brethren and elders and which to pursue when alone. We should know which virtue comes first, and which second or third; which passions attack the soul and which the body, and also which virtues concern the soul and which the body. We should know which virtue pride uses in order to assault the intellect, and which virtue leads to vainglory, wrath or gluttony. For we ought to purify our thoughts from "all the self-esteem that exalts itself against the knowledge of God." (2 Cor. 10:5)'

St. Isaiah the Solitary

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3020 on: July 07, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »

'Are you making no progress in prayer? Then you need only offer God the prayers which the Savior has poured out for us in the sacrament of the altar. Offer God his fervent love in reparation for your sluggishness. In the course of every activity pray as follows: "My God, I do this or I endure that in the heart of your Son and according to his holy counsels. I offer it to you in reparation for anything blameworthy or imperfect in my actions." Continue to do this in every circumstance of life.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3021 on: July 08, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »

'Some people with possessions possess them dispassionately, and so when deprived of them they are not dismayed but are like those who accepted the seizure of their goods with joy (cf. Heb. 10:34). Others possess with passion, so that when they are in danger of being dispossessed they become utterly dejected, like the rich man in the Gospel who went away full of sorrow (cf. Matt. 19:22); and if they actually are dispossessed, they remain dejected until they die. Dispossession, then, reveals whether a man's inner state is dispassionate or dominated by passion.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3022 on: July 09, 2019, 12:31:30 AM »

'O my dear brother in this divine Heart, were it but possible for me to reveal the infinite riches that are hidden in this precious treasure, with which He enriches and benefits His faithful friends! Could we but understand, we should spare no pains to procure Him the satisfaction He so ardently desires.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3023 on: July 09, 2019, 06:26:57 PM »

'It is through our fulfilling of the commandments that the Lord makes us dispassionate; and it is through His divine teachings that He gives us the light of spiritual knowledge. All such teachings are concerned either with God, or with things visible and invisible, or else with the providence and judgment relating to them.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3024 on: July 10, 2019, 01:14:03 AM »

'Let us remember that here below everything is passing away, consequently nothing should really afflict us but sin, which offends God.'

St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3025 on: July 11, 2019, 12:17:12 AM »

'The mouth of a humble man speaks the truth; but he who speaks against the truth is like the servant who struck the Lord on the face. (cf. Mark 14:65)'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 182 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: