Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 03:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 182 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 706134 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3026 on: July 12, 2019, 01:03:29 AM »

'Blessed the one who loves truth continually and has not lent his mouth as an instrument of impiety by lying, for he fears the commandment about idle speech.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3027 on: July 13, 2019, 01:17:32 AM »

'He who wishes to find Jesus should seek Him, not in the delights and pleasures of the world, but in mortification of the senses.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3028 on: July 14, 2019, 01:33:41 AM »

'A man wanted to do evil, but first prayed as usual; and finding himself prevented by God, he was then extremely thankful.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3029 on: July 15, 2019, 04:43:59 AM »

'Blessed the one who continually humbles himself willingly; he will be crowned by the One who willingly humbled himself for our sake.'

St. Ephrem of Syria

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3030 on: July 16, 2019, 05:48:50 AM »

'If we could see all He sees we would unhesitatingly wish all He wishes. We would beg Him on bended knees for those afflictions we now ask Him to spare us. To all of us He addresses the words spoken to the Sons of Zebeedee: You know not what you ask -- O blind of heart, your ignorance saddens me. Let me manage your affairs and look after your interests. I know what you need better than you do yourselves. If I paid heed to what you think you need you would have been hopelessly ruined long ago.'

St. Claude de la Colombiere

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3031 on: July 17, 2019, 02:43:55 AM »

'Certain things stop the movement of the passions and do not allow them to grow; others subdue them and make them diminish. For instance, where desire is concerned, fasting, labor and vigils do not allow it to grow, while withdrawal, contemplation, prayer and intense longing for God subdue it and make it disappear. The same is true with regard to anger. Forbearance, freedom from rancor, gentleness, for example, all arrest it and prevent it from growing, while love, acts of charity, kindness and compassion make it diminish.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3032 on: July 18, 2019, 03:09:45 AM »

'A man ought never to think he has done any good, or rest contented with any degree of perfection he may have attained, because Christ has given us the type of our perfection, in putting before us the perfection of the Eternal Father. Be ye perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3033 on: July 19, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »

'Blessed is he who has attained boundless infinity, transcending all that is transitory.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3034 on: July 20, 2019, 02:11:37 AM »

'O, that I had in the desert a wayfarer's shelter!'

Jeremias 9:2

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3035 on: July 21, 2019, 04:04:31 AM »

'Who can ever have a heart so hard that it will not melt on hearing the most lamentable event which once occurred in the world? There was a noble and holy Mother Who had an only Son. This Son was the most amiable that can be imagined--innocent, virtuous, beautiful, Who loved His Mother most tenderly; so much so that He had never caused her the least displeasure, but had ever shown her all respect, obedience, and affection: hence this Mother had placed all her affections on earth in this Son. Hear, then, what happened. This Son, through envy, was falsely accused by His enemies; and though the judge knew, and himself confessed, that He was innocent, yet, that he might not offend His enemies, he condemned Him to the ignominious death that they had demanded. This poor Mother had to suffer the grief of seeing that amiable and beloved Son unjustly snatched from her in the flower of His age by a barbarous death; for, by dint of torments and drained of all His blood, He was made to die on an infamous gibbet in a public place of execution, and this before her own eyes.

Devout souls, what say you? Is not this event, and is not this unhappy Mother worthy of compassion. You already understand of whom I speak. This Son, so cruelly executed, was our loving Redeemer Jesus; and this Mother was the Blessed Virgin Mary; Who, for the love she bore us, was willing to see Him sacrificed to Divine Justice by the barbarity of men.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3036 on: July 24, 2019, 02:25:22 AM »

'When a spiritual person feels a great calmness of mind in asking anything of God, it is a good sign that God either has granted it, or will do so shortly.'

St. Philip Neri

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3037 on: July 26, 2019, 04:45:57 PM »

'And as Adam opposed his own will to the divine will, so we must seek to have the will of God as our only object, and by it to have our own disposed and annihilated. And as we cannot by ourselves discover our own evil inclinations, and our secret self-love, nor possibly annihilate our own self-will, it is very useful to subject our will to that of some other creature, and to do its bidding for the love of God. And the more we so subject ourselves for that divine love, so much the more shall we emancipate ourselves from that evil plague of our self-will which is so subtle and hidden within us, and works in so many ways, and defends itself by so many pleas that it is like the very demon. What it cannot effect in one way, it does in another, and this under many disguises. . . It is an abyss, so deep and dangerous, that no one but God can save us from it.'

St. Catherine of Genoa

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3038 on: July 27, 2019, 06:01:49 AM »

'I exhort you not only to watch over your eyes and to repress sensuality, but to conform your every movement to the rules of this virtue, which beautifies and ennobles every action.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3039 on: July 28, 2019, 03:34:25 AM »

'When the soul finds herself in the sacred silence of faith and love, and feels an interior impulse to pray for the wants of the Church, or of the world, for some special or general intention, she should do so immediately; but this interior movement ceasing, she ought to repose again in God. If this repose transform itself into the sleep of love and faith, so much the better. The Divine Goodness, I hope, will make you understand this language if you be very humble and retain a full sense of your nothingness.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3040 on: July 28, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »

'Armed with prayer, the saints sustained a glorious warfare and vanquished all their enemies. By prayer, also, they appeased the wrath of God, and obtained from Him all they desired.'

Ven. Louis de Granada

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3041 on: July 29, 2019, 05:07:52 AM »

'If you love true knowledge, devote yourself to the ascetic life; for mere theoretical knowledge puffs a man up (cf. 1 Cor. 8:1).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3042 on: August 01, 2019, 05:23:41 PM »

'Since the light of spiritual knowledge is the intellect's life, and since this light is engendered by love for God, it is rightly said that nothing is greater than divine love (cf. 1 Cor. 13:13).'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 182 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: