Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:23:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233202 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3056 on: August 16, 2019, 03:22:38 AM »

'So submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil: and the devil will fly from you. Draw nigh to God: and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you of two minds. Begin to lament, to mourn, to weep. . . Humble yourselves before the Lord and He will exalt you.'

James 4:7-9,10

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3057 on: August 17, 2019, 02:45:27 AM »

'I have to seek only the glory of God, my own sanctification, and the salvation of my neighbor. I should therefore devote myself to these things, if necessary, at the peril of my life.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3058 on: August 21, 2019, 04:47:37 AM »

'The number of saved is as few as the number of grapes left after the vineyard pickers have passed.'

St. Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, the Cure of Ars

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3059 on: August 22, 2019, 02:13:20 AM »

'Impurity of intellect consists first in having false knowledge; secondly in being ignorant of any of the universals (I refer to the human intellect, for it is a property of the angelic intellect not to be ignorant even of particulars); thirdly in having impassioned thoughts; and fourthly in assenting to sin.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3060 on: August 24, 2019, 06:36:35 AM »

'Ah! the God of truth loves the truth. Now, he who knows his nothingness, and acknowledges it, knows the truth.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3061 on: August 25, 2019, 05:03:49 AM »

'Why is He so little in me? Is it because I am not little enough, not humble enough. Therefore may I become more humble, may I humble myself, and Jesus will increase.

Grow, Jesus, grow in my, in my heart, in my spirit, my imagination, my senses, by your modesty, your purity, your humility, your zeal, your love. Grow with your grace, your light, your peace. Grow despite my resistance, my pride. Grow until you reach the fullness of human perfection. Grow as you did at Nazareth before God and before men, for the glory of your Father.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3062 on: August 26, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »

'There are three things that impel us towards what is holy: natural instincts, angelic powers and probity of intention. Natural instincts impel us when, for example, we do to others what we would wish them to do to us (cf. Luke 6:31), or when we see someone suffering deprivation or in need and naturally feel compassion. Angelic powers impel us when, being ourselves impelled to something worthwhile, we find we are providentially helped and guided. We are impelled by probity of intention when, discriminating between good and evil, we choose the good.'

St. Maximos the Confessor

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3063 on: August 26, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »

'In addition let us welcome the times of psalmody, be enthusiastic for hymnody, attentive to the readings, making prostrations according to the given measure at each hour; working with our own hands, because working is good and because one who does not work is not judged worthy of eating. Let us bear one anothers' burdens, for one is weak and another strong, making use of food and drink and the other necessities with moderation, so that there is no provoking to jealousy among evil people, but zeal in goodness. In everything be good to one another, compassionate, reasonable, obedient, full of mercy and good fruits, and the peace of God which passes all understanding will keep your hearts and thoughts. And now, may you be found worthy without condemnation to reach the supreme day of the Resurrection, but in the age to come at the resurrection of the dead to gain the kingdom of heaven in Christ Jesus our Lord, to whom be the glory and the might, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and for ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3064 on: August 27, 2019, 06:37:38 AM »

'If you had been of the world, the world would love its own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.'

John 15:19

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3065 on: August 28, 2019, 08:55:05 AM »

'Ah! if we had the eyes of angels with which to see Our Lord Jesus Christ, who is here present on this altar, and who is looking at us, how we should love Him! We should never more wish to part from Him.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3066 on: August 29, 2019, 07:17:28 AM »

'Lay to thy heart this example, which doth show thee how the Grace of God cometh to men. Seest thou those windows? One of them is wholly open, one open but a little way, and one less. Even by way of those which are shut fast there doth enter some of the Grace of God, since that there are certain tiny crevices therein. And by way of every one of those windows there doth enter something of the splendour of the sun, but here more and there less; for so much or so little brightness doth enter there within according as each is more or less open. So is it with those who wish for Grace from God, according as he doth dispose himself so hath he Grace: if he doth show himself very well disposed, God giveth him very much of it; if he doth show himself but little disposed, then God giveth him but little Grace. And to the man who doth shut himself away from it, even to him God would give of his Grace.'

St. Bernardine of Siena

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3067 on: August 30, 2019, 03:45:45 AM »

'The wise intellect tests the soul and trains the body with all kinds of ascetic practice.'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3068 on: August 30, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »

'Do you see, my children, except God, nothing is solid -- nothing, nothing! If it is life, it passes away; if it is a fortune, it crumbles away; if it is health, it is destroyed; if it is reputation, it is attacked. We are scattered like the wind. . . . Everything is passing away full speed, everything is going to ruin. O God! O God! how much those are to be pitied, then, who set their hearts on all these things! They set their hearts on them because they love themselves too much; but they do not love themselves with a reasonable love-they love themselves with a love that seeks themselves and the world, that seeks creatures more than God. That is the reason why they are never satisfied, never quiet; they are always uneasy, always tormented, always upset. See, my children, the good Christian runs his course in this world mounted on a fine triumphal chariot; this chariot is borne by angels, and conducted by Our Lord Himself, while the poor sinner is harnessed to the chariot of this life, and the devil who drives it forces him to go on with great strokes of the whip.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3069 on: August 31, 2019, 09:46:20 AM »

'The oratory and the cell constitute the earthly paradise of the true servants of God.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3070 on: September 01, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »

'I always strove to mortify my sense of hearing. Thus, I took no pleasure in useless conversations or idle words. I couldn't abide or tolerate uncharitable conversations; if someone started one, I would either leave, change the subject, or frown in disapproval. I also disliked listening to conversations about food, drink, money, worldly things, or politics. I didn't care for reading newspapers and would say that I preferred reading a chapter from the Holy Bible, in which I would read the truth, to reading newspapers, which are ordinarily full of lies and trivia.'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3071 on: September 03, 2019, 02:31:58 AM »

'Wicked or misinformed men may calumniate you; pray to God that it may never come to pass that any one may speak any evil of you that is not a calumny.'

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: