Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2019, 10:07:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 187 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 732848 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3094 on: September 26, 2019, 08:39:42 AM »

'Like a faithful servant, you must forget yourself so as to work wholeheartedly in the service of your divine Master, Who will reward your actions in proportion to your love alone.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3095 on: September 27, 2019, 12:05:02 AM »

'How beautiful to look upon is the starry firmament! Yet it is only the portal of the blessed country where I hope to go one day.'

St. Paul of the Cross

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3096 on: September 27, 2019, 07:58:03 PM »

'For God is not unjust, that he should forget your work, and the love which you have shewn in his name, you who have ministered, and do minister to the saints.'

Hebrews 6:10

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3097 on: September 29, 2019, 02:25:17 AM »

'Unexpected trials are sent by God to teach us to practice the ascetic life; and they lead us to repentance even when we are reluctant.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3098 on: September 30, 2019, 10:55:25 AM »

'This divine Heart is naught but sweetness, humility and patience, therefore, we must wait. . . He knows when to act.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3099 on: October 01, 2019, 03:10:10 AM »

'A man of prayer is capable of everything. He can say with St. Paul, "I can do all things in Him who strengthened me."'

St. Vincent de Paul

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3100 on: October 02, 2019, 06:24:41 AM »

'. . . he that shall drink of the water that I will give him, shall not thirst for ever: But the water that I will give him, shall become in him a fountain of water, springing up into life everlasting.'

John 4:13-14

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3101 on: October 03, 2019, 02:47:08 AM »

'He who ignores discipline despises himself, but he who yields to correction gains understanding.'

Proverbs 15:32

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3102 on: October 04, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »

'On the other hand, St. John Chrysostom affirms that the ruin of the Church is the great eagerness of sacred orators, not to move their hearers to compunction, but to please them with fine words; as if they came to hear a singer chant a piece of sacred music in the pulpit. "Such preachers," continues the saint, "act like a father who gives to his sick child what it wants. Such a one, however, does not deserve the name of father. This happens every time that one seeks flowery language, not to inspire compunction, but to win vain praise." Yes, reverend Sir, there are many sacred orators who delight their auditory by their elegant and pompous diction, and attract crowds to their sermons. But I would wish to know how many of those who are so highly pleased with their discourses, full of elegance and ornament, leave the church with a contrite heart, and afterwards amend their lives.'

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3103 on: October 06, 2019, 03:34:42 AM »

'When we fulfill the commandments in our outward actions, we receive from the Lord what is appropriate; but any real benefit we gain depends on our inward intention.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3104 on: October 07, 2019, 02:53:25 AM »

'From humility of heart proceed serenity of mind, gentleness of conduct, interior peace, and every good.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3105 on: October 08, 2019, 01:31:34 AM »

'You must be indifferent to all created things and especially to the impulses prompted by your self-love and your own will. This self-will He wishes you to sacrifice as often as He gives you the opportunity thereof, by breaking and thwarting it, until it is wholly destroyed and extinct, in order that the Will of His divine Heart, alone, may reign in you.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3106 on: October 08, 2019, 04:05:52 AM »

'Weeping is the way that Scripture and our Fathers have handed on to us.'

St. Poemen

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3107 on: October 09, 2019, 03:41:17 AM »

'The first weapon I call zeal, that is solicitude in doing good, since the Holy Scripture condemns those who are negligent and lukewarm in the way of God (Apoc 3.15-16). The office of the Holy Spirit is to inspire in us good inspirations, while our duty is to accept them and put them into operation by waging continual violence against our sensuality which always invites us to what is contrary to what the spirit wills. Therefore, it is necessary to resist it with true diligence and not to let the time granted to us pass by without acquiring the fruit of good works, as it is written:

Whoever wishes to go up, let him rest not
From thoughts, from speaking works and doing deeds
And always exerting himself in God

but with discretion, so that when our adversary, like a wicked traitor, assails us from ambush, we can defend ourselves. By "from ambush" I mean, when under the appearance of good he wishes to kill you, for there is as much danger in too much as in too little. And so I tell you "with discretion," aware that this virtue establishes and perfects all the other virtues according to what was said by the glorious teacher of the ancient holy fathers, that is, St. Antonio of Vienna.'

St. Catherine of Bologna

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3108 on: October 09, 2019, 07:38:03 AM »

'For he hath given his angels charge over thee; to keep thee in all thy ways.'

Psalm 90:11

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3109 on: October 09, 2019, 08:23:29 AM »

'With all guard keep thy heart, because life proceedeth from it.'

Proverbs 4:23

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3110 on: October 10, 2019, 02:52:14 AM »

'Do not claim to have acquired virtue unless you have suffered affliction, for without affliction virtue has not been tested.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 187 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: