Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:40:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233115 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3232 on: February 06, 2020, 10:51:13 PM »

'Let us pray much; let us pray for one another.'

St. Conrad of Parzham

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3233 on: February 07, 2020, 09:08:24 AM »

'In the texts which follow, the beliefs of those in error will be refuted by those whose faith is well founded and who know the truth.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3234 on: February 08, 2020, 08:49:48 AM »

'If you wish to pray well, be faithful in the practice of mortification, avoid dissipation of mind during the day, and never commit any willful faults.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3235 on: February 11, 2020, 12:13:40 AM »

'Prayer is the sure way that leads to holiness.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3236 on: February 11, 2020, 02:02:58 AM »

'Like the sun which shines on all alike, vainglory beams on every occupation. What I mean is this. I fast, and turn vainglorious. I stop fasting so that I will draw no attention to myself, and I become vainglorious over my prudence. I dress well or badly, and am vainglorious in either case. I talk or I hold my peace, and each time I am defeated. No matter how I shed this prickly thing, a spike remains to stand up against me.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3237 on: February 12, 2020, 02:03:12 AM »

'O Mary, my gentle Mother, here I am, your child who can bear no more. See my needs and above all my spiritual distress. Have pity on me; grant that one day I may be with you in Heaven.'

St. Bernadette Soubirous

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3238 on: February 13, 2020, 03:50:12 AM »

'Those who are under the sway of passions must pray and be obedient. For even when they receive help, they can only just manage to fight against their prepossessions.'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3239 on: February 14, 2020, 02:20:10 AM »

'I had become by this time fond of good books, and that gave me life.

I read the Epistles of St. Jerome, which filled me with so much courage. . .'

St. Teresa of Jesus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3240 on: February 15, 2020, 02:28:17 AM »

'A soiled garment excludes one from the divine wedding feast and makes one a communicant of outer darkness (cf. Matt. 22:12-13).'

St. Thalassios the Libyan

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3241 on: February 16, 2020, 03:49:03 AM »

'Fasting then is a renewal of the soul, for the holy Apostle says, Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward is being renewed day by day. And if it is being renewed, clearly it is being made beautiful according to its original beauty; made beautiful in itself it is being drawn lovingly to the one who said, I and the Father will come and make our dwelling with him. If then such is the grace of fasting, that it makes us into a dwelling place of God, we must welcome it, brethren, gladly, not grieving at the plainness of the diet, for we know that the Lord, though he is able to nourish lavishly, made a banquet for thousands in the wilderness from bread and water. Also because what is unusual, with enthusiasm becomes acceptable and painless. Fasting is not defined by foods alone, but by every abstinence from evil, as our godly fathers have explained. And so, I beg you, let us abstain from despondency, idleness, sluggishness, jealousy, strife, maliciousness, self-indulgence, self-reliance; let us abstain from destructive desire which the many-shaped serpent lays before us when we are fasting.'

St. Theodore the Studite

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3242 on: February 16, 2020, 07:15:29 AM »

'When you can do good, defer it not, because "alms delivers from death."' [ Tobit 4:10, Tobit 12:9]

St. Polycarp of Smyrna

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3243 on: February 17, 2020, 05:04:31 AM »

'Let him who hath need of less thank God and not give way to sadness, but let him who hath need of more, humble himself for his infirmity, and not be elated for the indulgence shown him; and thus all the members will be at peace.'

St. Benedict

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3244 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:44 AM »

'Renew your confidence by a glance at the cross. See that precious blood, those mortal wounds, those hands which have made heaven and earth are still outstretched to poor, repentant sinners who humbly sigh for the embrace of Jesus.'

St. Paul of the Cross

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3245 on: February 19, 2020, 03:12:51 AM »

'The first ideas I can remember date back to when I was five years old. When I went to bed, instead of sleeping -- I have never been much of a sleeper -- I used to think about eternity. I would think "forever, forever, forever." I would try to imagine enormous distances and pile still more distances on these and realize that they would never come to an end.'

St. Anthony Mary Claret

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3246 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »

'Do not distress yourself on account of any distaste or dryness you experience in God's service. He wills that you should serve Him fervently and constantly it is true, but without any other help than simple faith, and thus your love will be more disinterested, and your service the more pleasing to Him.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3247 on: February 21, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »

'The benefits to be derived from spiritual reading do not merely consist in impressing on the memory the precepts set forth, but in opening the heart to them, that they may bear fruit.'

St. Louis de Blois

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: