Saints' Discussion Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:14:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Calendar Mailbox Quotes Prayers Books Login Register
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 298 Print
Author Topic: Quote for the Day  (Read 1233168 times)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3344 on: May 13, 2020, 03:19:47 AM »

'You are indignant that God is indignant, as if you deserved anything good by living evilly, as if all those things that happen were still not less and lighter than your own sins.'

St. Cyprian of Carthage

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3345 on: May 13, 2020, 05:10:04 PM »

'Poverty, hardship, austerity and fasting, such are the instruments of the solitary life. It is written, "When these three men are together, Noah, Job, and Daniel, there am I, says the Lord." (cf. Ezek. 14:14) Noah represents poverty, Job suffering and Daniel discernment. So, if these three works are found in a man, the Lord dwells in him.'

St. Poemen

'Flores apparuerunt in terra nostra. . . Fulcite me floribus. (The flowers appear on the earth. . . stay me up with flowers. Sg 2:12,5)
Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3346 on: May 14, 2020, 04:57:18 AM »

'Like the sun which shines on all alike, vainglory beams on every occupation. What I mean is this. I fast, and turn vainglorious. I stop fasting so that I will draw no attention to myself, and I become vainglorious over my prudence. I dress well or badly, and am vainglorious in either case. I talk or I hold my peace, and each time I am defeated. No matter how I shed this prickly thing, a spike remains to stand up against me.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3347 on: May 15, 2020, 06:41:28 AM »

'Consider every day that you are then for the first time beginning; and always act with the same fervor as on the first day you began.'

St. Anthony of Padua

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3348 on: May 16, 2020, 05:13:46 AM »

'As a man lives, so shall he die.'

St. Augustine

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3349 on: May 17, 2020, 06:16:44 AM »

'The apostles and their successors are God's vicars in governing the Church which is built on faith and the sacraments of faith. Wherefore, just as they may not institute another Church, so neither may they deliver another faith, nor institute other sacraments: on the contrary, the Church is said to be built up with the sacraments "which flowed from the side of Christ while hanging on the Cross.'

St. Thomas Aquinas

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3350 on: May 17, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »

'Fire is produced from stone and steel; lying comes from loquacity and gossip. And the lie destroys love. No one who has any sense would say that telling lies is not an important sin. The Holy Spirit has severely condemned it. "You destroy those that speak lies," says David to God. (Ps. 5, 7) The mother of lying is hypocrisy, mother and also, often, its substance as well. Hypocrisy in fact works out the lie beforehand and then puts it into practice. Those who possess the fear of God are the furthest from telling lies, because they have an honest judge, their own conscience.'

St. John Climacus

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3351 on: May 18, 2020, 08:17:55 AM »

'Earthly riches are like the reed. Its roots are sunk in the swamp, and its exterior is fair to behold; but inside it is hollow. If a man leans on such a reed, it will snap off and pierce his soul.'

St. Anthony of Padua

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3352 on: May 18, 2020, 08:40:47 PM »

'Hope in His goodness and redouble your confidence in proportion as your troubles increase.'

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3353 on: May 19, 2020, 01:26:17 AM »

'It has reached us, and we cannot call it to mind without blushing, that your fraternity teaches the pagan authors in some cases. Such a thing has caused us much pain, and has excited in our heart such a deep disgust that the pleasure we experienced in receiving news from you is changed into lamentation and sorrow. . . We are the more anxious to know of a certainty whether these things be true, seeing that they are the more horrible being found in a priest.'

Pope St. Gregory the Great

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3354 on: May 19, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »

'St Francis de Sales says, "How mistaken are those who make sanctity consist in anything but the love of Our Lord Jesus Christ." Love is the fulfilling of the law.

The Saints tell us that:
Faith is love that believes.
Hope is love that expects.
Adoration is love that worships.
Prayer is love that petitions.
Mercy is love that pardons.
Charity is love that sacrifices itself.
Mortification, martyrdom, is love that immolates itself.'

St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3355 on: May 20, 2020, 08:02:43 AM »

'If you find yourself in an abyss of pride and of vain self-esteem, plunge yourself at once into the abyss of the humility of the Sacred Heart. There you must submerge your feelings of pride that are stirred up within you, so that by love of your own abjection you may clothe yourself with His sacred annihilations.'

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3356 on: May 21, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »

'Christ died on account of our sins in accordance with the Scriptures' (1 Cor. 15:3); and to those who serve Him well He gives freedom. "Well done, good and faithful servant," He says, "you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things: enter into the joy of your Lord" (Matt. 25:21).'

St. Mark the Ascetic

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3357 on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:37 AM »

'I also beseech in the Lord, all my brothers who are, or who shall be, or who desire to be priests of the Most High, that whenever they wish to celebrate Mass, they be pure, and offer with purity and reverence the true Sacrifice of the most holy Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ with a holy and perfect intention; not from any earthly motive, nor for the fear or love of any creature, as though desiring to please men; but let every will (according to the grace given) be directed solely to the most High God, and do you desire to please Him alone, for He alone works in this holy Sacrifice according to His good pleasure, as the Lord has Himself said: "Do this in remembrance of Me:" and he who does otherwise becomes a traitor like Judas. Remember, O priests, my brothers, how it is written in the law of Moses, that those who transgressed even in corporal sacrifices were condemned by God to death, without any mercy. What a far more terrible punishment will he deserve, who tramples under foot the Son of God, and treats the Blood of the New Testament by which he is sanctified as a vile thing, and offers insult to the Holy Ghost! A man stained with sin despises and tramples on the Lamb of God, when, as the Apostle says, not discerning the sacred Bread, which is Christ, from other food, he eats unworthily by being guilty of unworthy actions; for the Lord has said by His Prophet: "Cursed is the man who does the work of God with negligence or fraud." And on account of those priests who will not lay these things seriously to heart, we are condemned, when Our Lord says: "I will curse your blessings."'

St. Francis of Assisi

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3358 on: May 23, 2020, 01:49:11 AM »

'As for you, let that which you have heard from the beginning, abide in you. If that abide in you, which you have heard from the beginning, you also shall abide in the Son, and in the Father.'

1 John 2:24

Shin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3359 on: May 24, 2020, 01:13:12 AM »

'By wishing to do too much, we often spoil everything, constraining our Lord to leave us to act alone and withdraw from us in sorrow.'

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 298 Print 
Saints' Discussion Forums  |  Forums  |  Saints' & Spiritual Life General Discussion  |  Topic: Quote for the Day « previous next »
Jump to: